Affiliate Manager
    What do webmasters want in an affiliate program?
    I recently set mine up for playfulchocolate - ie playful cash.com and I thought I hit everything an affilaite could want - I'm just curious if I hit right or if I was way off.

Here is what my affiliate offers:

- 35% - 50% pay out on product sales
    - life time pay out - regardless of source - web, phone, etc
    - 5% referral
    - Large selection of banners - all shapes, sizes, and content
    - Content - text, photos, etc
    - real time - 3rd party tracking

A real person to talk to - not to mention every possible means of communication possible.

I'm adding different front ends, racy to tame.

What am I missing?

Datafeed

iktorn: A datafeed? Geez, there are 3 products. Do you really need a datafeed?

Melissa: That nifty 888# sure is a turn off to me (no pun intended!)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyburbs
    iktorn: A datafeed? Geez, there are 3 products. Do you really need a datafeed?
    Sorry - I didn't checkout the site. I just answered the general question.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Looks good to me when it comes to the commish, terms, etc.

(@ Karl--she says she can track phone sales)

But one other thing I'd need before I signed up, is to be convinced that lots of people are already searching for something like this. Seems a bit too nichey for my taste...like I'd have to get lots of general "romantic gifts" traffic and then hope for the best.

But it may do well for someone who already *has* lots of traffic that's interested in that type of item, or traffic that's into trying new things...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    I was speaking generally as well

Semantics always gets me.

datafeeds/content - articles, etc. (coming soon)

and specifically:

because this is a specific product I have really pushed media coverage- newspapers, TV, etc in order to drive the searches.

female libido is always popular
    so is aphrodisac (sp?)

Hi Playful Melissa, If you want to offer something new that will appeal to lots of affiliates, try this: Add a tracking system that feeds search terms to the sales notification emails. Design it so that affiliates can get an email that has the amount of commission earned along with the search term that started the process. I haven't seen anyone offering this, yet.

Ray

does this stuff work?

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    does this stuff work?
    Absolutely... Target market is actually 25-45 women -

We tested it for 3 years before we felt comfortable enough to release it.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    Hi Playful Melissa, If you want to offer something new that will appeal to lots of affiliates, try this: Add a tracking system that feeds search terms to the sales notification emails. Design it so that affiliates can get an email that has the amount of commission earned along with the search term that started the process. I haven't seen anyone offering this, yet.

Ray

Ray thank you that is brilliant! I've already talked to directrack as well as my programmer about making this happen.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    (@ Karl--she says she can track phone sales)
    Yes, and I say I can hit my driver 250 off the tee.

Quote Originally Posted by Playful Melissa
    Absolutely... Target market is actually 25-45 women -

We tested it for 3 years before we felt comfortable enough to release it.

ummmm . . . samples?

actually, I have a couple of playful pages that could use this. will have to clean up some other chores first, though.

Smile
    Melissa: On a second reading, this finally hit me ...

Looks good to me when it comes to the commish, terms, etc.

(But one other thing I'd need before I signed up, is to be convinced that lots of people are already searching for something like this. Seems a bit too nichey for my taste...like I'd have to get lots of general "romantic gifts" traffic and then hope for the best.

But it may do well for someone who already *has* lots of traffic that's interested in that type of item, or traffic that's into trying new things...
    If this were on a network (Shareasale, for example), I could find a few appropriate corners into which this would fit - our Valentine's Day section, for example. Even if I only made a few sales, I'd still see the money. Very "nichey" products run as an indie are a bit tougher to justify.

Of course, having articles is always intriguing to us.

Affiliate Manager
    Yes, and I say I can hit my driver 250 off the tee.
    Custom phone numbers for each affiliate and if they call in after they have placed the initial order it tracks automatically.

Affiliate Manager
    Melissa: On a second reading, this finally hit me ...

If this were on a network (Shareasale, for example), I could find a few appropriate corners into which this would fit - our Valentine's Day section, for example. Even if I only made a few sales, I'd still see the money. Very "nichey" products run as an indie are a bit tougher to justify.

Of course, having articles is always intriguing to us.

I did take this into consideration - which is why I've pushed the whole media thing - the more they see it the more they look for it, the more they look for it, the more affiliates I get - isn't that how it works....

Lightbulb
    I did take this into consideration - which is why I've pushed the whole media thing - the more they see it the more they look for it, the more they look for it, the more affiliates I get - isn't that how it works....
    As an employee of a media company, I applaud that idea. Getting the message about your product out through multiple outlets will increase consumer awareness. However, when it comes to getting high-quality affiliates, there are more precise methods.

Affiliate Manager
    Okay Phill - you know I couldn't help but ask- What are those methods?

Well, you've done one of the first ones - you're here! Messages boards like ABW are a way to directly interface with your target audience (as opposed to mass media which is better-suited for consumer contact).

Leader is regarded as one of the best in the business, so I'd take what she says quite seriously.

So, for example:

But one other thing I'd need before I signed up, is to be convinced that lots of people are already searching for something like this. Seems a bit too nichey for my taste...like I'd have to get lots of general "romantic gifts" traffic and then hope for the best.
    You might want to provide some information to "convince" her that folks are, in fact, searching for this stuff. The "nichey" thing cannot be overlooked. Like I said earlier, if you were with SaS (or Affiliate Fuel, though I suspect their entry cost may be a bit high for a product like this), I could make a sale or two and see some money; since you're an indie, I'd have to make quite a few sales to see anything.

Again, perhaps you could offer suggestions or anectodal evidence from sites that are doing just that.

I can't speak for everyone, but credibility is such a huge factor in this business. If an AM has a solid track record, I'll take the time to push something I otherwise may have ignored; I'm less likely to invest that time and energy for someone without that track record and/or on a product I'm not familiar with or haven't seen a big demand for.

Does that help at all?
    Last edited by phillyburbs; February 3rd, 2005 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I'm feeling particularly jaunty today. You?

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Phillyburbs it helps tremendously.

I've been running affiliate programs in a more "aggressive" industry and forums are a huge part of that. But they never offer such sage advice, what a fabulous change and I'm glad I've crossed over from the dark side....

M

Thanks Phillyburbs it helps tremendously.

I've been running affiliate programs in a more "aggressive" industry and forums are a huge part of that. But they never offer such sage advice, what a fabulous change and I'm glad I've crossed over from the dark side....

M
    We're small players in the affiliate arena, but much of our success can be attributed to advice and guidance I've picked up here. It's a great community!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread