Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Are IGive Users Really Wanting It To Pop?
    **** Disclaimer:My patience is wearing thin.****

Although there is an ongoing thread here http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=54113 regarding some behaviors by the IGive software, I decided to start a new thread with this infomation in an attempt to keep discussions on separate issues separate.

Some of Robert's responses regarding their biz model and their software are focused around their members wanting to receive the pops/info and after all the end user can turn off the software if they want to. (emoticon because I am out of patience).

But can they? Can they really? There is certainly no access to set prefs or disable the software via a desktop icon, going through Start --> Program Files, or navigating through My Computer to the IGive directory. It would seem that you have to catch a link to access prefs in one of the pop ups.

Of course there is always the option of going through task manager to kill an application. Something I personally tend to do if an application hangs up or if the software vendor didn't give me easy access to turn it off. The ulitmate method of killing a progam from running right?

Well it would appear that this is NOT the case with the igive software. IGive has 2 separate exe's that run. End Tasking them just results in them automatically restarting themselves. Ermmmm yes, the end user can turn the software off if they don't want it running.

http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/igi...start.swf.html

This is not behavior that I see across the board with TopMoxie products. I've never seen this with Ebates. It is a behavior I've seen with more aggressive adware applications such as Exact Advertising apps and Web Search.

Oh yes indeed...I know without uncertainity the end user wanted that IGive software to be working when it came into play. Yes indeed. I'm convinced beyond all doubt now.

Shopping Window Behavior
    1) When you install our Shopping Window (completely opt-in) it installs an icon in the chrome of your browser on IE (97% of our users). Up there next to all the other icons. Click on that. Control the behavior.

2) Don't like the iGive Shopping Window, for whatever reason, uninstall it the normal way. Through Control Panel Add/Remove programs. It's called the iGive Shopping Window, and it's in the list of programs alphabetically.

3) There is a link in the pop up to control its behavior.

4) When you download the iGive Shopping Window, you get an e-mail letting you know how it works, and how to uninstall it.

5) If you forget how to uninstall it, you can go the FAQs on our site.

6) If you can't find the FAQs on our site, you can e-mail our support, and we'll send you back instructions.

7) The average iGive member would never go near tasks and processes. If they did, and they clicked on "end process tree", it would work just fine.

8) When removed via the Control Panel, all traces of the application are to be removed. It may take a reboot for that to happen.
    Last edited by RobertGrosshandler; February 1st, 2005 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added a point

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Robert, I'm not talking about uninstalling. Hopefully the software doesn't have to be an all or none thing. I'm not seeing an icon for igive in my browser menu. But I'll go look around for it and check my browser settings to see if I might have something set on IE that would have kept it from automatically being placed up there.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertGrosshandler
    8) When removed via the Control Panel, all traces of the application are to be removed. It may take a reboot for that to happen.
    Interesting. Then perhaps you can explain why, after trying to uninstall it through Windows Add/Remove Software, then rebooting, it reappeared once again on the list? Even though the software no longer had a directory under C:\Program Files, I did click to uninstall once again to remove it from the Add/Remove list.

One more reboot later, it no longer appeared in the Add/Remove list, yet still shows in the Startup section of msconfig. Additionally, doing a cursory search through my registry, I found these:

1) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{A3C72A73-A005-4c16-BAEE-017E6F69A3EC}
    Button Text - "iGive"
    HotIcon - C:\PROGRAM FILES\IGIVE_SHOPPINGWINDOW\Sy600\Images\igiv_hot.ico
    Icon - C:\PROGRAM FILES\IGIVE_SHOPPINGWINDOW\Sy600\Images\igiv_cold.ico
    Script - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\IGIVE_SHOPPINGWINDOW\Sy600\Tp600\scri600a.htm

2) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\iGive
    (Default) - file://C:\PROGRAM FILES\IGIVE_SHOPPINGWINDOW\Sy600\Tp600\scri600a.htm

The above puts an iGive link into the right-click context menu while in MSIE.

3) HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{A3C72A73-A005-4c16-BAEE-017E6F69A3EC}
    same Name/Data list as in #1 above

4) HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\iGive
    same Name/Data as in #2 above

Mr Grosshandler, would you care to comment as to why the above references are still appearing in my registry after uninstalling iGive, as well as the reference still appearing (now disabled) in msconfig's Startup files? It sure appears to me that your uninstall is not quite a full uninstall.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Is that a stage name ..Grosshandler? Anyone on your board named GreedMonger? Your ebiz plan uses charities, like Kazzaa uses music theft or other BHO's use Freebies, as luring enticements. You rake in management fee profits without facing the audits and safeguards imposed upon any of your listed charities. If challenged you have a team of lawyers just waiting to lay off blame on faulty S/W, shanky distribution partners, phoney charity fronts and buggy un-install processes. Chesting up your the saint amongst the cyber conmen and BHO commission thieves just makes you a floater in the BHO cesspool.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

1) When you install our Shopping Window (completely opt-in)
    You are nothing but a bloody liar Grosshandler. There is no way in hell I would opt -in for a program like yours. Oh and BTW it took me an age to get rid of the bloody crap.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ressurected thread from Februrary
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Ressurected thread from Februrary
    That is such an astute observation! It's too bad that you didn't figure out by my post count that I found this thread via a web search for information as to why the iGive programme did not fully uninstall, leaving registry references, but then, you probably weren't concerned with anything other than bumping your own post count.

At least I can admit that I made a mistake by trusting software with a valid certificate all with the intention of a percentage of some online purchases I make going to a cause near and dear to my heart, only to discover after installing it and running my spyware programme that it's a data miner. After doing further research, I learned how iGive really works. I have since sent a letter to my charity of choice to inform them that they are recommending a service (iGive) that takes a larger piece of the proverbial pie than they likely were aware of.

All traces of iGive have now been removed from my registry, thanks to my having working knowledge of registry editing. It would be proper, however, for someone at iGive to acknowledge that their uninstall programme isn't fully functionable.

kat, patiently waiting for an accountable response.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    An "accountable response?"
    Here's your "accountable response!"

That is such an astute observation! It's too bad that you didn't figure out by my post count that I found this thread via a web search for information as to why the iGive programme did not fully uninstall, leaving registry references, but then, you probably weren't concerned with anything other than bumping your own post count.
    What utter nonsense!
    As a Moderator of this board, I certainly do not have to worry about "bumping my own post count."

To prove my moderatorship, Mr. Sarcastic (since I'm sure that's the next thing you'll question) I'm Locking this obsolete thread. Grosshandler certainly hasn't been sitting on it for the last year just waiting for your post, so it's not like he would have responded.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread