ABW Ambassador
    New 1099
    Ok, I can't reconcile this new 1099 worth a darn. Is there a list at Linkshare that has our yearly totals per merchant, or do we have to do it month by month. Also, if a merchant (i.e. cooking.com) paid us directly, we should be getting a separate 1099 from them, right? I'm off more than 500. How irritating. I keep meticulous records, so I don't know why this is off.

Any help would be appreciated..I don't have the patience to deal with this crap. GRRR

Thanks,
    Robin

ABW Ambassador
    I can't figure out how to get yearly totals by merchant, either. Yuck.

ABW Ambassador
    I just went through it all manually..another pain in the butt..I found some errors (like counting a merchant as a LS merchant when it's really a BeFree one) but, still not coming out accurate, even after I went thru every merchant. Grrr

Robin

I've always had to do it month by month, also. As for the separate 1099s from merchants who pay directly - you probably won't get one unless they paid you at least $600. (But, you still have to report everything you earn, whether you get a 1099 or not).

I've not received a 1099 from Linkshare, but others have posted in this forum that they've had a hard time reconciling the 1099 to their records.

ABW Ambassador
    No one has posted any difficulties with the new 1099 yet, that's why I'm asking. As for the merchant that pays directly, we did earn more than 600, so I'm expecting that 1099 soon. Of course, since it's Feb 1, obviously some merchants didn't adhere to the irs law (or rule) about having to have them mailed. I.E. Performics.

Oh well..not that difficult to report it on my own.

I haven't received my corrected 1099 from Linkshare yet.

I've only received about half of my 1099's so far, which is typical. They'll trickle in for the next month or more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    OK, my balanced to within 2 cents FINALLY..I'm assuming that's rounding since I had the same deal at CJ and I'm not going to worry about it. My husband's for Performics came today, not mine though..either way, I'm totalling this stuff up and sending it off to the accountant in the next day or two, just to get rid of it!!!

Future suggestion to Linkshare:

Next year enclose a list of which merchants and how much total up to the 1099..it is total bs to have to go do it manually.

ABW Ambassador
    I just got my revised 1099. It's not perfect, but it's looking pretty good!

Mine is off by more than $1000. I can't figure out where they're getting this figure?!

The 1099 includes payments made to you during 2004, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ellen-s4y
    Mine is off by more than $1000. I can't figure out where they're getting this figure?!

The 1099 includes payments made to you during 2004, correct?
    I think I figured it out...if I could get some confirmation?

If you have more than one Linkshare account, does Linkshare combine earnings from both accounts, into ONE 1099? if that's the case, I'm only off by a few dollars.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I contacted someone at LS and was forwarded the actual xls of what they used for their figures.

The same way if you run a sales report for Macys for January and it says you earned $1000...

And then when LS releases the payment reports and it says your check from macys will be $950...

It's because there are some sales from BEFORE January included in your check... and some sales at the end of January that weren't included in the check.

So for 1099s, it's the same principle... but on a much larger scale!

There's some things from the end of 2003 put on, and some from the end of 2004 left off.

I have not received my corrected one yet either.

It really bothers me that LS did not double check the orginal ones before they sent them. I can't imagine how much it cost them to fix a mistake that never should have happened. Sadly, this charge will probably be passed on the merchants (eventually) who use LS.

So, LS is making big improvements? Looks like two steps forward and one step back is their new motto. Well, I hope not!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I received the 'corrected' one and it was still not right. A little closer to the real numbers, but not right by any means.

Also, the second one was not marked as 'corrected' which I thought they were supposed to be?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    If I remember correctly Michelle, there was a letter enclosed with the second one stating it was the correct 1099, or new one or something. In any case, what a big MESS. You'd think if they can consolidate 1099's they'd have consolidated checks by now, and then the 1099 issue wouldn't occur since we could just add up 12 monthly checks.

Idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by rem
    You'd think if they can consolidate 1099's they'd have consolidated checks by now, and then the 1099 issue wouldn't occur since we could just add up 12 monthly checks.
    Let's hope they don't do their consolidated checks that way. That will introduce additional delays of up to a month before we get paid. A merchant payment that comes in one day after they cut consolidated payments wouldn't be paid out until the following month if they did it that way. I was hoping they would pay at least weekly. I started a new thread so we don't bring this one off topic.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

The 1099 is conslidated from both of my accounts. It's not reconciling worth a darn but I'll take their word for it. Hubby is chomping at the bit to get the taxes filed.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All -

The following information was posted in a previous thread. Again, please feel free to email us at 1099@linkshare.com.

In preparing a 1099 form for an affiliate in our network, LinkShare follows certain standard accounting practices that may cause the amounts reflected in that 1099 to differ from the amounts received by the affiliate or from the amounts reflected in the affiliate's reports. 1099s issued by LinkShare reflect only those payments issued by LinkShare between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2004, and do not include amounts paid directly by merchants in our network.

Discrepancies between the amounts in an affiliate's 1099 and the amounts the affiliate believes it received or the amounts reflected in the affiliate's reports can arise based on when a merchant provides transaction information to LinkShare, when a merchant remits funds to LinkShare to pay affiliate commissions or countless other reasons, including arithmetic or bookkeeping errors by the affiliate or even postal delivery errors. It is not unusual for companies to distribute revised 1099s. We have done so in the past, and a small number of affiliates may receive revised 1099 forms this year.

If you have any questions about your 1099, please feel free to email us at 1099@linkshare.com.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have a problem with the dates of the 1099. Obviously it's for income received during '04. The problem is in having to go back and figuring out exactly which merchants pay us through LS and which pay us directly and having to go through each merchant to double check.

I am one of the most meticulous people around when it comes to finances, and if I had trouble I can only imagine what other people are going through. I always double check things again and again as well..I wouldn't want to pay taxes on money I didn't earn.

Additionally, I never complained about a 2nd 1099, I know it's common for errors to be made and Linkshare was quick to point that error out.

It just seems they have a lot of organizational skills lacking in a company that size.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread