PostNuke/PHPNuke Modules?
    Does anyone know of any modules that assist in affilaite marketing in the phpnuke realm? I'm thinking something like a "weblinks" module that is much more indepth.

OR, does anyone know of any software (php based) that can help in creating a shopping portal?

Thanks for your time everyone! My first post!

Matt

I actually have 2 Postnuke modules that paid a programmer to create this past summer and never used. They are super nice modules that I am considering selling or releasing. One is a weblinks module created just for affiliate links and the other an Amazon module.

1. The weblinks module:

Pulls in keywords and description from destination site
    Optionally uses an image/logo for each link
    Sses nice images for navigation links
    hides Affiliate URL perfectly

(other things I cant think of right now. I havnt messed with it in months.

2. Amazon.com module:

Does almost everything including .html short URLs
    Create different shops based on categories
    Comes with center/side blocks scrolling static etc
    Featured products
    Shopping cart
    Integrates into the reviews module so you can write reviews and promote a particular product with your review.

on and on...

I havn't messed with them for months but I would like to use them again or at least get some of the money I paid the programmmers back at some point.

And on that Amazon module I got 942 pages indexed simply from installing the module. Thats all I did! I bought a domain which I was going to use it on. I installed the module then got busy doing other things. Checked back a few weeks later and to my surprise I had almost a thousand pages in Google. Surely I can use that thing to my advantage if I would just get off my duff and use it.

Maybe someone has suggestions for it or would like to use it as well.

http and a telephoto
    There is a site that has an amazon module for phpNuke that I have used for years. They appear to have developed some other affiliate marketing modules but have not released them to the public. I am in the process of moving most of my phpNuke sites over to postNuke because of a Cafe Press module that rocks. I will need to keep a few sites running phpNuke, so would be interested also.

The only other modules I have found were a couple for AllPosters and they were using iframes, so I didn't use them. I hate iframes. If you go to http://phpnuke.org and search the news articles for some specific programs you should find some modules. There is also a nice one for Template Monster.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Where did the cafepress module come from? Is the portalzine one? Its a pay module right?

My Postnuke module is based on the PHPnuke module from preciousgasolina, thats probably the one you are using.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by ignoramus
    Where did the cafepress module come from? Is the portalzine one? Its a pay module right?
    No and no. I don't know who portalzine is. Mine is cpModLite from http://www.thecpschool.com/ but the site is currently migrating to a new server, so the module is not available at the moment. If you need it and can't wait for the site to come back, pm me with your email address and I'll zip it up and send it to you.
    Deborah Carney

loxly-
    Debbie, I've been following this interesting thread. I went to download postnuke, just to try it out & got lost. Sheez. That place is like ABestWeb. Lots of info to wade through.
    I did find out one thing, tho. I checked my webhost & they had Fantastico installed. Clicked on the Postnuke, and it installed itself!
    Cool!
    Now, if I can figure out how everything goes together in the admin, maybe I'll find a theme and module to play with.
    Looks very promising. I followed your links and saw how you set yours up, the layout anyhow. I went to the "submit site" area at postnuke and looked at what others had done.
    Verrrrrry impressive. I'm thinking about ordering a couple of books on Mysql and PHP to figure out how it all goes together.

One question, on average, how long did it take for you to set yours up? I was also thinking about learning datafeeds, but postnuke looks easier.

Later,
    Rick K.

http and a telephoto
    One question, on average, how long did it take for you to set yours up? I was also thinking about learning datafeeds, but postnuke looks easier.
    It takes me a very short time to set up a new postnuke site, but I have been doing it for years. PostNuke and phpNuke are very easy for me, I am not sure why. phpNuke has more modules available, PostNuke has more security and at this point more flexiblity.

I would check the version you have on Fantastico, if it isn't .750 you need to erase what you have and start over. Really. There are major changes between .726 and .750 and they have to do mostly with themes and seo, so it is worth learning to set it up yourself. All you need is ftp access and know how to change file permissions. Dump the contents of the database Fantastico created and use the same database in the .750 install.

As far as datafeeds, if you are going to use PostNuke Web Links for datafeeds, it isn't easy. If you are going to use it for hand coding links, then you are in good shape. Also, all the psc's or ipc's out there can make great content for a *Nuke site.

I can probably help out more after eComXpo, I am concentrating on making tutorials for other things right now and after eComXpo I can think about helping out more with the nukes

Back to the original question, sorry, I got sidetracked, it takes about an hour to set up a cafe press oriented postnuke site, and it can take from an hour to a week to set up an affiliate marketing oriented site. The cafe press oriented sites also have adsense and a few other goodies tucked in as part of that one hour of set up time. Many of my sites have the same theme for now, and although it is boring, it is by design because when people go from one to another I want a sense of continuity even though they hit different niches. I have paid for 2 postnuke themes so far, but have discovered a few new ones that are looking cool that are free to download.

Since folks can easily find my sites anyway, here is a link to one of the latest sites I have converted from phpNuke to PostNuke, and it was set up in about an hour. I have quite a bit more content to add to this site, but it will do for now.
    http://cool-networks.net

The site I am launching for eComXpo is a postNuke site that is taking more time because I am adding articles, links and tutorials about Cafe Press and fundraising on the net over the next week.

So a site can be running in under an hour, or can take weeks or be a work in progress for a long time. The cool thing is that a work in progress doesn't need to *look* like a work in progress!!!!

Sorry so long winded, I guess I needed a break and landed here, LOL.
    Deborah Carney

I got hooked on Postnuke about 2 years ago. There are some great CMSs out there but Postnuke has always worked for me mainly because of its integration with Autotheme. AT lets edit your site in an WYSIWYG HTML editor and sets your site apart from all the other generic looking CMSs.

Like I wrote above installing one module got me 950 pages in Google so the advantages are endless.

Disadvantages: Because there are so many modules, blocks etc it can get overly complicatined and it is possible to make a screw up editing code you can lock yourself out so do backups and keep a copy of psak.php around. One code error will take your whole site out not just a page.

I'm just starting a new Postnuke site at http://myruidoso.com it has the PNphpBB2 forums installed. Its a community portal.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    No and no. I don't know who portalzine is. Mine is cpModLite from http://www.thecpschool.com/ but the site is currently migrating to a new server, so the module is not available at the moment. If you need it and can't wait for the site to come back, pm me with your email address and I'll zip it up and send it to you.
    portalzine.de its a German site that has best modules Ive seen but some are pay modules. I would like to see the cafepress module but I can't PM anyone. I lost user and pas for this site so I created this new account and appropriately named my self "ignoramus". After that I cant PM.

You can send it to myruidoso.com at gmail.com if you would please.

PS: I have 50 gmail invites if you want one. Or are those even valuable anymore?

loxly
    Debbie,
    Thanks for your reply.I know it took some time, thought, and effort on your part. Much appreciated.

I plan to hand-code and combine PSC's starting off, the old noggin can only hold so much, doncha know.

You've obviously been doing this a while, so it's pretty easy for you.

Let us know when you have some free time, and are not booked up, I'd like to get some advice. I'm looking forward to trying postnuke. I'll check the version I have installed, thanx for the tip.

Later,
    Rick K.

P.S., Ignoramus, I appreciate your contributions also. Maybe I can learn a little from both of you.

Like my old Daddy always said: "Son, a wise man can learn something from an idiot." Waitaminnit. That didn't come out right. LOL

How about this one: "Son, if you can't catch any fish on this side of the boat, try the other."

Right. I didn't understand it either. Maybe it had something to do with the Jack Daniel's and Lone Star beer we took along on the trip.

One more thing for the both of you--when I was checking out the other sites made with postnuke, I ran across this one. Claims he has had over 5 million hits since April 2004, and I believe it! http://www.nextpimp.com/

http and a telephoto
    ignoramus I'd be interested in seeing the modules you have. I got lost on the portalize site, lol.

Rick, fire your questions away!

Or skype me at nightfire32
    Deborah Carney

Thanks everyone! Since my last post I have discovered IndexU. That seems to be doing the trick, but I'm still interested in a way to create a site like that withing a postnuke/phpnuke site.

Great suggestions though!!!

Hey Loxly -

Is the cafe press module you're using one that's available for download or is that something you paid for / wrote? I'd love to take a look at that. Your sites are very nice, you've done a great job with them!

Thanks!

Matt

http and a telephoto
    Thanks Matt It is the one available for download, but the download is currently disabled. You can use the contact form to contact the author directly or email me at dc @ loxly.com for more info.

ignoramus I'd be interested in seeing the modules you have.
    ignoramus, repeating this because I would be very interested in seeing both the modified weblinks module you have and the amazon module. If they are compatilble with .7.5 version I would not be against kicking in some cash for at least the Amazon module. Lack of one for postNuke is what is keeping a couple of my sites phpNuke.

Matt, what is indexU?
    Deborah Carney

Loxly -

IndexU is great. It's a php system that helps in making weblinks, but not the typical junk you get for phpnuke, etc. I believe their website is nicecoder.com. Take a look at my dealsongear.com site. that's all run with indexu. Pretty cool system. Takes a while to get set up, but if you know php at all, it's no too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by skishopmatt
    Loxly -

IndexU is great. It's a php system that helps in making weblinks, but not the typical junk you get for phpnuke, etc. I believe their website is nicecoder.com. Take a look at my dealsongear.com site. that's all run with indexu. Pretty cool system. Takes a while to get set up, but if you know php at all, it's no too bad.
    Well, either my DNS is down the rathole (again, damn it) or IndexU is no longer available from the developer because both sites seem to have had the names hijacked by others.

Try it again. Just got it to work, but it was real slow to load.

http://www.nicecoder.com/

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I got a request for this today and wanted to say that this module is probably not going to work for long into the future. The author is no longer supporting it and there need to be code changes for it to be able to pass the affiliate ids to take advantage of the new Cafe Press affiliate program. I am moving away from PostNuke, except for one site that I am developing, and will be using postnuke as the backend for that site instead of the public front end.

At this point, I don't know of any other *nuke modules that support the affiliate program and pass the pids. I use a perl script to run my off CP sites now, and am migrating all my postnuke installs to that new script.

I know this is old, but it is relevant to recent events
    Deborah Carney

Talking
    Hi Loxly.

And where did you find your pearl scripts to use on your sites?

Thanks.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Come on loxly.

Share what you know with me.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread