Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Linkshare - AARGH! - HOW do they stay in business
    I'll start with this.

Got a Private Offer from Dell couple days ago. I didn't opt in, as it said it was optional.

Dell is apparently managed by Linkshare employees, as their email address is

dellhome[at]linkshare.com

Today I get another dell email detailing why they're changing their commission structure and to "...make sure you opt in"

I replied: Your last email said the offer was optional, this seems to state it's mandatory. Which is it?

I get an autoresponder back telling me how to DROP Dell!!

Dear Affiliate,

If you wish to unsubscribe, or de-activate your
    account entirely, please click here to do so:
    http://www.linkshare.com/emailsubscriptions
    NOTE:You will need to login with your username and password.

Once deactivated, your account is designated as being terminated within our systems and all Qualifying Links that refer to your account are broken. Depending on any referral activity that may have occurred prior to deactivation, you may continue to receive commission checks for some period of time.

We are unable, however, to delete your account information or transactions files about your Engagements with your Network Merchant partners from our systems. We are required as a matter of law to keep this data. LinkShare's obligations and rights to do so are set forth in the Affiliate Membership Agreement governing your participation on the LinkShare Network. You can be
    assured, however, that access to such information is restricted and we maintain high levels of security over all our systems. Please feel free to review our Privacy Policy at http://www.linkshare.com/home/privacy.shtml

Sincerely, LinkShare Corporation
    I reply with "This didn't answer my question/pls re-read my previous email"

I get the same autoresponder on how to drop dell!!

What the hec!

I send a blank email to dellhome[at]...

and I get ...

an autoresponder telling me how to drop dell!!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    LOL! Sorry, but that's priceless!

They're so bad that they ASSUME that's what you want to know!

What's funniest is, by reading it, it looks more like instructions on how to drop LINKSHARE not just Dell! Nowhere in your quote does it mention an account deactivation being limited to Dell, or even say "Dell" at all! So, it looks as if they are assuming that the only reason anyone would ever want to write is to find out how to drop the entire network!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

'Bout an hour or so after I posted, I got yet another Drop Us autoresponder - but I didn't email them first this time.

maybe it's stuck!!

billy

i have opted in the new offer

thanks for sharing the useful LS autoresponder feature

Billy: This can't possibly surprise you. This is SOP for The Snare.

I didn't get any email. I'd better check and see if they've dropped ME.

While I KNEW this next move would be useless, I tried anyway.

Can't contact Dell thru Linkshare - so I'll contact Dell themselves and TELL them I can't contact their AM:

Service Tag =
    Order Number =
    Issue Category = Other Question not listed

Problem Description:

Your affiliate program is managed by Linkshare. The affiliate team's email address is:

dellhome@linkshare.com

When an affiliate trys to email them, it generates an autoresponder with instructions on how to drop Dell and how to drop Linkshare!! (see below)

Thought you'd want to know that your affiliates can't contact the affiliate managers!

[then I pasted the autoresponder here]
    Just got my response from Dell:

Thank you for choosing Dell Online Customer Care.

Please reply to this message with a detailed description of the issue
    that you require assistance with. I will be happy to assist you once you
    provide this clarification.

Please ensure that your customer account or order/invoice number is
    included with your reply.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I hope to have
    addressed all your concerns to your satisfaction. We appreciate your
    patience, and apologize for any inconvenience. If you require anything
    further, please feel free to visit our website at:

[their website address]

Thank you and have a good day.

Respectfully,
    Brad
    Rep ID 91548
    Monday - Friday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm CST
    Dell Online Customer Care - Home and Home Office Segment
    What further clarificattion do these people want?? Time for a well-chosen smile: Well, I coudn't find the guy who bangs his head against the wall, but this expresses my feelings:

Dell's program is a mess
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Dell is apparently managed by Linkshare employees
    I guess I'm not surprised. Some references:

1) Dell UK ads, placed by an affiliate, running on Claria for 4+ months before I pointed this out to Dell and a reporter. Write-up, analysis, screen-shots.

2) Dell affiliate link added to users' desktop via a malware installation using a misleading popup provided in a Windows Media clip, falsely claiming 'You must agree to our terms and conditions" to trick users into pressing Yes. Screen-shots, analysis.

3) MSNBC reports Dell paying $100k in commissions to 180solutions in September 2003 alone. Full article.

All in all, these are the signs of a program infested with spyware -- not a program to be proud of.

Ben,

Put back your OLD avatar. It always throws me trying to figure out who you are when you post without it!

Billy

"Dell is apparently managed by Linkshare employees"

And we wonder why the networks don't do anything about parasites? Ive said it before and I will say it again. It is fruitless imforming most AM's about parasites, It is company managers that must be reached.

Dell can't even answer a simple customer service email (no, I mean REALLY simple), so it's way too much to expect that anyone running their affiliate program has any idea of what's going on.

What further clarificattion do these people want??
    That's probably another autoresponder. *groan* Try just copying your first email and sending it to 'em again! And ask them to clarify, just what it is they need clarification of, so then maybe they'll actually *read* what you wrote once through...

A nice women at Linkshare just forwarded my original email to the dell team. Maybe I'll get a response. back to work.

Leader: I don't need to contact them anymore. I already made my dell decision. Just gotta' find a replacement.
    Last edited by Billy Kay; February 2nd, 2005 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Edited because leader's post came in as I was writing mine

What further clarificattion do these people want??
    Leader, If you're going to quote me, can you fix my spelling mistakes! NOW I'm going back to work.
    Last edited by Billy Kay; February 2nd, 2005 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Why do I have to give a reason?? The first attempt could have been taken the wrong way

ABW Ambassador
    I got the same two emails from Dell regarding the new program. When they sent the first one (the "opt-in" version), it took days before that new offer was even available for me to choose in the interface!

http and a telephoto
    There ya go Billy Kay, they were listening and instead of answering you personally, they just sent us all yet another email:

The offer that you are participating in will be expired in 14 days.

Merchant Name: Dell Home Systems
    Program Level Number: 270.1

You do not need to change any links on your site. You will automatically be placed into the following new program level when this offer expires:

Program Level Number: 399.1

Links are going away anyway
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dell.com the diversion champion of all major merchants. The original 100.00 minimum, quarterly payout merchnat with Zero cookie days and 2 banner selections... both saying Dell.com for the vistally and mentally impaired. Nice to see them get reamed by the LS inhouse staff acting as if they're affiliate managers...LOL.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The dell AM got the forwarded email and read this post.

She sent a reply, which I was going to post here, but I officially dropped them this afternoon, so I no longer have a need to "vent" about a dell problem.

Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Leader, If you're going to quote me, can you fix my spelling mistakes! NOW I'm going back to work.
    LOL! I actually thought of doing that, but some people actually get p*ssed when they have their spelling corrected. So I figured I'd better leave it alone!

As for Dell, glad you booted 'em. Their cheapskate commission doesn't deserve anything but. What was the new commission plan, anyway--sell a normal amount to get .01%, sell 1000 computers to get a bigger, semi-microscopic commission?

Special Liaison
    Dear Billy,

First let me apologize for the misdirected email that you received.
    As you can imagine, with the large size of our affiliate base, we get a
    lot of support questions into LinkShare. To speed the answers to the
    most common types of questions we use a customer support tool that
    manages everything from the history of questions we get to
    recommendations on how to best answer an incoming question. For the
    most part this tool allows us to speed up answers you may have as well
    as serve our partners with better support. In this case, it appears
    that the Unsubscribe message in the email triggered an auto responder
    which is what you received. As I am sure you can
    understand we want to make sure that we get back to a user quickly if
    they want to unsubscribe from an email or the service regardless of the
    reason. In this case the filter may have been set a bit too high and
    has since made some changes to prevent that from happening as often.
    Sorry for the error and hope that you can understand that while this
    tool made a mistake in your case it still is helpful for us to answer
    your questions in most cases. You are very important to us and once
    again I hope that you do not take the auto responder as a sign of
    LinkShare and its commitment to you.

Regards,

LinkShare Corporation

My "venomous" posts start out with a NY attidude, but I filter them before posting in an attempt to remain professional - yet firm.

The "filter" I'll apply to this response will be paper thin - and deservedly so.

1. A company (DELL) want to make money off affiliates, but apparently disdains and despises affiliates so much they farm it out. WHAT A CROCK! A good reason on its own to avoid this company.

2. Of all the options at their disposal (Chris, Jrami, LinkProfits), they choose Linkshare, a company who - in my opinion - allegedly hates and despises affiliates so much that I'm forced to contact the BBB in NY for help in just getting a response to emails. NOT to solve an actual problem, just to get Linkshare to fu**ing reply! WHAT A CROCK!

3. The Affiliate Manager postion - which is to build and promote affiliate relationships - falls to "Noxid". He or she apparently hates and despises affiliates so much that he/she creates pre-recorded autoresponders so he/she doesn't have to actually deal with affiliates. How anyone could EVER think this would PROMOTE a relationship is beyond me. WHAT A CROCK!

4. The post is NOT signed by a name. It is not signed by a position, such as The Dell Team. It is signed THE LINKSHARE CORPORATION, which implicitly infers that this writer represents and is allowed to speak for the whole corporation, which therefore implies avoiding and/or evading affiliates is a CORPORATE policy.

The subject of this post is called "Linkshare - AARGH! - HOW do they stay in business" - and I will continue to wonder in amazement how they do.

<<1. A company (DELL) want to make money off affiliates, but apparently disdains and despises affiliates so much they farm it out. WHAT A CROCK! A good reason on its own to avoid this company.>>

Hey, don't fret, Dell feels the same way about their customers. This post would be exceptionally boring and really long if I told you my Dell customer service tales from November/December. Let's just say that I love my new computers, but hate Dell's customer service with a fiery passion. And yes, most of that hatred is about the use of auto-responders for email questions.

The answer is that there are no humans at LinkShare. It is all being run by robots, computers and machines. The humans were replaced several years ago which explains why you can't get in touch with one no matter what you do. There simply are none.

The signature "LinkShare Corporation" was in fact, accurate.

I hope that clears up the confusion.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by AAnnAArchy
    And yes, most of that hatred is about the use of auto-responders for email questions.
    LOL, they don't have their "auto-computer-dial" act together yet either -- the one they use to "up-sell" their existing customers. After I bought a Dell, they called constantly, but no one was ever there when I picked up the phone. My caller id log was taken over by their return number for a time.

Finally, someone was there on a call and it turned out she wanted to know a) why I hadn't activated the "free 6 months" of dial-up and b) to let me know what I was missing out on by not upgrading to "their" DSL service.

I told her a) that I already had DSL service, so had no use for their included 6 months of dial-up and b) I was NEVER going to change from my existing service. I guess I got through to her, since they've not called since.

Geez, what a relief that I used my voice mail number then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast