Can you make money with directories?
    Do you think any money can be made with a directory? Not a dmoz type, of course, but a niche directory? What would be the best way to monetize it - sponsored ads (even Adsense) at the top? (Seems to me paid inclusion wouldn't be the way for what I'm thinking about as most people wouldn't be trying to sell things themselves.)

Anyone have any experience with running a directory? Any advice?

First you need to define directory.

We have what we define as a directory on our site and, yes, it is profitable.

Our model is a complete directory (free listings, of course) with numerous upsell options.

one of my sites is a directory that lists a certain kind of antique shop and currently lists about 6300 of them in the U.S. and Canada. Listing is free for qualified shops and there is an upsell option for the listing data but it has been ignored by the shops so far. And this site has been in existence since 1996. Since it is not database-driven I must maintain a page for each state in the U.S. but each page is generated before uploading by an old database which makes text generation easy.

I have used tables to keep the state list to the left on each page and to keep a strip of adsense results down the right side so they never overlap. The pages are generally long enough that I can put three sets of five vertical results on each page and google is able to fill all the spots. And since the pages are state- and city-oriented the ads sometimes are extremely relevant.

Each page has a very small patch of 88x31 graphic ads near the bottom as well as an Amazon.com xml searchbox. There is a google searchbox allowing site or web search near the top. I try to keep the page tops relatively clean but do often experiment with a text link or two.

The site also contains a virtual bookshop and virtual mall in separate areas.

Payout is directly dependent on the number of visitors and their moods. They come for the info, not to buy. Sometimes the search box brings in more than the adsense ads. Without looking closely I'd say that lately the google combined income from this site is equal to about 2/3 to 3/4 their minimum check. Google, the SE, has not been extremely friendly to this site for the past whole year.
    Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; February 2nd, 2005 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added info

Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a local "yellow page" like directory so I don't know if it is profitable or not but...

I was wondering if anybody can offer any suggestions for a script to build such a site?

I'm thinking about Duncan Carver's lma. Would that be my best bet?

Thanks!

are you watching the potential competition? even google is giving local results lately.

to have any success you'll have to advertise heavily locally and do a lot of store-to-store recruiting.

but good luck!

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    are you watching the potential competition? even google is giving local results lately.

to have any success you'll have to advertise heavily locally and do a lot of store-to-store recruiting.

but good luck!
    Herb: Actually, the threat helped get us off the dime on this one. We're able to use a variety of packaging and bundling with other ad products to strengthen the directory.

I think the keyword here is LOCAL. Most of us are trying to capture keywords in the search engines thus competing against hundreds of other affiliate sites. I believe that to succeed as an affiliate you have to think about your local market. I live in a city of close to a million so I plan to focas on cultivating that market. Small ads, business cards and maybe some small signs. With some luck maybe I can generate some revenue. Yes a directory for my local market sounds good.

I believe bluefind did very well.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by kit
    Hello,

I'm in the process of planning a local "yellow page" like directory so I don't know if it is profitable or not but...

I was wondering if anybody can offer any suggestions for a script to build such a site?

I'm thinking about Duncan Carver's lma. Would that be my best bet?

Thanks!
    I am not familiar with that software, may have to take a look. I use LinksSQL by Gossamer Threads, as do many other directory sites.

http://gossamer-threads.com (NOT an affiliate link, per the rules)
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread