I don't know either way but I do know that fi it is easy to do chances are you aren't going to make any money.

Assuming that you are trying to get traffic from SE's to your datafeed site, how do datafeeds rank.

It would seem that since it can only take a few days to set up a 5000 page site and submit it to the SE's that every man and his dog would be successfully using datafeeds. This isn't the case though.

So the question is how much work do most people put into building, optimizing and promoting a data driven site?

Do you use information from the feed to optimize the pages? If so how well do they rank in the SE considering 5000?? other people are using the same feed to optimize their site?

Is it safe to say that a 5000 page site can be built in days but in order to do well in the SERP you need to spend a considerable amount of time to custom optimize it?

I have dabbled with datafeeds and have one site up and running but have a hard time believing that something so easy to build is going to give a good return in the end (if any).
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

I love datafeeds and they've worked wonders for me, but they really do require some creativity. If you just use Webmerge and put the feed up, it's much more difficult than offering some sort of price comparison tool with product reviews and ratings. You have to really look at what's out there and raise the bar. I'm always looking at Bizrate.com as my example and am trying to find ways to outdo their system. If you can't compare to that, you really need to be a good copy writer and SEO.

I use information from the feed to optimize the pages, but again you need to offer something more in order to catch people's attention and get the links you need to support your site.

It's safe to say you can build a 5000 page site in 30 minutes, at least I can. Optimizing it isn't as much an issue as promoting it and getting the incoming links and support from your visitors. You have to do something to stand out from the rest and earn the respect of people who might be willing to exchange links with you.

Bottom line, don't just do another webmerge datafeed site with a crappy-dashed-buy-stuff.com domain. Try to come up with a catchy domain and be something more than just another affiliate site. Offer features specific to your niche and really focus on your visitors. Cater to their needs and talk to them specifically. The more somebody believes you're talking to them and not just any shmoe on the net, the more likely it is they'll stick around and buy something.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't know either way but I do know that fi it is easy to do chances are you aren't going to make any money.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That statement reminds me of people looking for parking places. Around here almost ALL people think that there can't possibly be any parking places left at the front of the store, where the walk is minimal and easy. Therefore, most people won't even try to find a front space, and will accept a spot in the middle of the lot.

But 99% of the time I get a spot almost RIGHT next to the door (next to the handicapped spots) simply because I believe it to be possible and therefore I always check--and usually everyone else hasn't even tried to find one there. Therefore there's usually one open and waiting for me.

~~~~~~

That said, Scott's statements about promoting a feed site are generally on the money. I do disagree about dashed domains being bad. From my experience, it makes no difference at all to real buyers whether there are dashes or not, provided the site's pages are of the same quality as a non-dashed domain. And I've said before what I think of BizR*te. I do agree, though, that it takes promoting the site and something to catch the buyer's interest in order to make sales.

Feeds make the generation of a site easy--but they do NOT promote it for you. Just like getting that close parking spot, there's still a "walk" involved to get to your final destination. But it's a lot shorter of a walk than doing it the other way!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader,

I like your parking spot analogy. I feel exactly the same way when it comes to parking. My girlfriend is always telling me there won't be a spot, but I just love to prove her wrong when I park right up front

I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made with dashed domains, but I really just want to dominate. I take pride in my domains and don't see them as a fleeting website that will grab a few bucks for a few months. I want to be the next big thing and in order to do that I need a good name. It's really just a matter of preference and ambition.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I tend to go to where the parking is easy but I also drive a 1 ton truck in the city so......

I am here for the long term and want to create a presence that will say just that.

I am putting in the time and effort to get there but just wanted to get some opinions of others about how they handle a datafeed.

I sounds like a datafeed is intended to create sections of a web site rather then the website itself. I see my feed as being an extension of the content that people are looking for (someone comes to my site to learn about backcountry skiing and the product datafeed is simply and extension of the free content).
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want to be the next big thing and in order to do that I need a good name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to have good names too, and try to make them all "catchy."

If I use a dash it's because the non-dash version is taken by some domain park place or a reseller and I'm not going to avoid a good name just because of that.

All the keyword-keyword-keyword domains I would have been tempted to take are already taken so I haven't gotten one of those yet...

[Edited--Saw above post]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I sounds like a datafeed is intended to create sections of a web site rather then the website itself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually make full sites from feeds. If I mention having a feed "section," that's normally on a mall that's made up of nothing but feed sections! 50 feed sections = 1 mega mall! 1 feed section = a little site.

The only time I have any fr*e c*ntent + feeds is when I can't stand not having a store on the site any more! But the buyers come from the exact same places as they do on a pure sales site. Namely the SEs! Free c*ntent traffic might as well not be there for sales purposes since they react to the "store" link as if I'd labeled it "virus."
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Well I ALWAYS get the parking spot right up front. Trouble is when I get in the store, I ALWAYS get stuck in the wrong line.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread