New Merchant with questions....
    Hey everyone, I just signed up with SAS yesterday and have launched our affiliate program. I'm relatively new at all this so I had a question for any merchants, or even affiliates, out there who may be able to help.

I set up my account to auto-approve by country. Thus far I've received several affiliates who have signed up, however I've also gotten quite a few affiliates from outside the US, who are in my pending file. Does anyone have experience with affiliates from other countries? I'm just curious how to go about whether or not to approve them. Is it best to visit their website? Do most of their sales occur in the US? I ship products, and do not ship outside the US, so that's why I'm wondering.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome jrogersz34,

We only ship within the US (as well as APO, FPO, etc) as well. We review each affiliate site that applies to our program. If the foreign site is in English and the address ends in a .com, .net, or .info then quite a bit of their traffic will probably be US-based. However, we usually deny any affiliate site that contains foreign language, ends with .fr, .au, etc. or seems to target a non-US audience (with its' content). If you simply cannot decide, you may try contacting the affiliate to simply ask where most of their traffic is targeted (there is a contact button located beside each affiliate on your "Pending Approval" page).

Another option is to add a note to your automatic reply emails. On your "Edit Program Information" page, there is a section to create automatic reply emails that will be sent whenever someone applies to your program, is approved, and/or declined. You can add your shipping restrictions to these emails. You may also note on your "apply" emails that your program probably will not convert very well for the affiliate if the affiliate site does not target US buyers.

Most affiliates will not promote your program if they do not think it will convert. So providing them with your shipping restrictions upfront will be for the best (and make life less frustrating for both the merchant and affiliate).
    Of course, this is only a merchant point of view. There may be some affiliate members who have a better suggestion...

Affiliate Manager
    I would review each affiliate, but I wouldn't deny an affiliate just because they are outside of the U.S. Some of our top performing affiliates are based out of the country. (Their sites target a U.S. audience.)

Melissa C. Murphy
    CrazyforBargains.com -- Fun Sleepwear for the Whole Family
    12% Commission, Data Feed, Coupon Codes
    SAS Merchant ID 5181

yeah but...
    You merchants gotta get our interest and impress us first - don't you?

There are 41 "New merchants" for us "foreigner" affiliates to "approve" ...

Which one are you?

Just for the record our best affiliate is in AU. I should also point out that he does have a lot of orders to AU. BUT about 80% of his orders are from the US.

About the only one I dont approve are the ones that hide their country. I still cant see why they would do that. How do the expect to get a check?? In other words they are not very serious anyway so why waste our time with them.

Hi,

Wish you all the best with your online marketing efforts.

To answer your question about non US affiliates. Our experience that it doesnt matter from which country the affiliate is from. Some of our best performing affiliates are not from the US.

I totally agree with "pajamalady", "DimOut.com" and "goldshield". 70% of our customers are US customers. However, one of our best producing affiliates is located in Moscow, Russia (ruscuisine.com). It brings in additional problems with payments (as US checks do not cash in Russia), but we know it is more than worth having this site on our affiliates list. So I would review prospective affiliates, but NEVER deny any prospect on demographic reason

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    jrogersz34,

Exactly what others have said so far.

The Auto by Country is not really to penalize anyone much less affiliates from anywhere in the world. It is basically so that you are able to track those that might be just signing up for spam, parasitic stuff or even fraud. At least that is my take on it and what I have seen.

There are many great affiliates from all over the earth that do generate lots of traffic and sales and are very ethical, but you should always visit each site, even from US as they sign up.

Also, your "pending file" should not have any one sitting there waiting, you should try and approve each one at least within 24 hours, yes even on weekends.

read,, read,,read
    another intresting thread.
    but heck! !...
    its takeing time. my wife thinks i am having an affair

Does anyone have tips on creating or proofreading foreign language banners, copy, etc.? I use babelfish at altavista and Xara Webstyle....but would like any suggestions.
    TIA

babelfish
    my wife is russian,
    and we have done translations on babelfish.
    what a laugh we had.
    it gets it all wrong.
    trust me !. we translated lots of web pages on it ,
    and you have to read between the lines to figure out what it means.
    cockeral [male chicken] came out as cock-sperm.. L.O.L
    sorry but it made us laugh too.

babelfish
    my wife is russian,
    and we have done translations on babelfish.
    what a laugh we had.
    it gets it all wrong.
    trust me !. we translated lots of web pages on it ,
    and you have to read between the lines to figure out what it means.
    cockeral [male chicken] came out as cock-sperm.. L.O.L
    sorry but it made us laugh too.

Affiliate Manager
    One interesting thing we've found is that a lot of our affiliate are actually non-US based. However, they design sites that are specifically targetting US consumers. So, a lot of times we don't really look that hard at country origins of an affiliate.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hello;

I agree, Of all the programs that I have run I always accept affiliates form anywhere in the world. View their sites and base your apporval on that.

Many top affiliates don't live in the us.

One thing when it comes to payment of these overseas affiliates, ASK them before you send out a check. Many affiliates will want you to hold their commissions until it reaches a higher amount than you normally pay out, Most of my overseas affiliates tell me to hold until their commissions reach $100 min) Many overseas banks charge an arm and a leg to cash checks.
    Richard
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

"Many overseas banks charge an arm and a leg to cash checks."

Well wouldn't you think that after 2 checks these affiliates would be considered almost usless?

Hows that go? "What do you call an affiliate with no arms or legs?..."
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

affiliate checks
    "Well wouldn't you think that after 2 checks these affiliates would be considered almost usless?"

I have no idea what you mean.

When I ran the Planet holiday hotel reservation affiliate program we had affiliates from the states, the UK, Singapore, HK, Thailand and other countries earning monthly from $2,000-$3,500/month in commissions.
    The guy in the uk had to pay $40/check that he cashed!

Our total payout/month was usually at least $10,000. Are you saying we should not handle affiliates that have to pay to have checks cashed?

I wouldn't consider them useless. :-)

I am an affiliate for a site that only sells merchandise in the states. I live in Thailand. I earn very good money. Am I useless ?

Richard
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    "Well wouldn't you think that after 2 checks these affiliates would be considered almost usless?"

I have no idea what you mean.

I am an affiliate for a site that only sells merchandise in the states. I live in Thailand. I earn very good money. Am I useless ?

Richard
    Hehe.. Richard, it was a joke meaning that if the bank is charging arms and legs for cashing checks, after 2 checks being cashed the affiliate would be just a "Body" and no extremeties.

Allen
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

that was a crap joke
    well i`m glad you explained that,
    poops my old friend,
    and i thought my joke about the giraffe was
    crap !!!!...??? :howdy :

Thanks for the explaination :-)

BUT he could have his wife cash them
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread