Question To Blog or not to Blog

I'm looking to syndicate some content and was wondering about the advantages of putting that content on a blog (for example either Google's Blogger or Bloglines) and syndicating it that way as opposed to putting together my own feed and just having it available directly from my site.

Would being a part of the blogger community be an advantage where linking and syndicating is concerned?

I'm new to this so any advice would be very welcome.

[left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

I'm no expert about this, but here's my understanding ... You may get some advantage, at least in the beginning, from being part of some official network like the one Google runs. However, I think the true strength of a blog in the long run has little to do with those "official" networks.

One of the guiding principles behind blogging is very liberal linking - not only to websites and news stories, but to other blogs. If you link to another blog, for example, they will know this if you use "trackbacking" - which lets the other person know you've written about their blog and linked to them. Who doesn't want to know what someone else is saying about them? They will check you out. If you have something that people like, you can start to develop a name for yourself among other blogs. Google seems to like this ... at least for now. As far as I understand, Google also fairly recently started to frown on reciprocal linking on "websites." How is this different from interlinking with blogs? Well, it isn't. But as of this minute, Google doesn't understand that yet. Google is the Baby King - capricious and demanding and spoiled, yet still with kingly powers. In my opinion, blogs will also lose their power one day, but you might still be able to take advantage of them for the time being.

If you want your blog to really be successful, it should be a "blog." That means you should play the blog game - lots of linking and reading of other blogs. If you're just looking for a good way to get your own stuff out there, and aren't so interested in the interactive nature of your blog with other blogs, you might find that simply putting your material on a "blog" isn't a magic pill.

All of this, however, should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm no blog expert. This is just my understanding of how they basically work.

If you have a passion blogging is fun and easy. I have several blogs but only one has my heart and i can post everyday. when i feel. there aren't many downsides to blogs. it can be used in many different ways if you're creative

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    What is a Blog
    It came to me today. A BLOG is a way for the non-tech, non-computer person to have their own easy free website. It is the new-millenium version of geocities with a cutesy and popular name. Everybody wants to visit a blog - it's the in thing now. A website would serve the same purpose of a single poster's blog (since a web site can be updated as easily as a blog on a daily basis) and a message board would serve the same purpose for a registered group of posters, but they are not called "blogs". Maybe if we start calling message boards MEBOD's and web pages WEPAGS they would take on a new popularity.

Blogs are in. For the sake of those wishing to have their "own free site" without any type of traditional hosting involved, blogs are probably here to stay. For the sake of bringing traffic to a site, who knows.

I now have a blog - I'm hip!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "It is the new-millenium version of geocities with a cutesy and popular name."

Difference: They're not so ugly! Also can be easier to navigate since most of them seem to come with some kind of nav setup built in.

"(since a web site can be updated as easily as a blog on a daily basis)"

They're a bit easier--more like posting to a board.

"I now have a blog - I'm hip!"

I just got hip this week...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Blog or grog? I'll grog. Don't flog, you frog. Bog my fog and I'll jog and slog to Prague. Off to clog with a frog and a hog in a bog.

So log.

tamborinegal:

Being in a blogging community may have its advantages, but we've had some good success running our own syndication.

Thanks for the clarification avum and thanks to everyone else for your replies. I think I'll go with syndicating my content using my own feed at this stage, but I'll also start my own blog and have a play around with that too and see where it takes me... should be fun, I do like the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyburbs
    tamborinegal:

Being in a blogging community may have its advantages, but we've had some good success running our own syndication.
    Karl,
    Could you tell me if there is a way to tell how many people are using your feeds through a feed reader or through say My Yahoo or My MSN? I assume it's easy enough to see which sites are using your feeds for syndication but I was wondering how you can tell how many people are using your feeds through a reader. Do your stats show you that?... Also, I had a look at the feeds available on your site (looks like you've got that well and truly covered) nice explanation on how to use them and how it works by the way.

Donuts, You really should give up that early morning drinking.
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by tamborinegal
    Karl,
    Could you tell me if there is a way to tell how many people are using your feeds through a feed reader or through say My Yahoo or My MSN? I assume it's easy enough to see which sites are using your feeds for syndication but I was wondering how you can tell how many people are using your feeds through a reader. Do your stats show you that?... Also, I had a look at the feeds available on your site (looks like you've got that well and truly covered) nice explanation on how to use them and how it works by the way.
    The editor who handles the feeds said that specific detail is available through Feedburner.

Thanks for the kind words on the synidcation material. That same editor did what I believe is a great job on that from the ground up. We've been very pleased with the results, too.
    Last edited by phillyburbs; February 4th, 2005 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Ay Ziggy Zoomba, Zoomba, Zoomba!

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Blog or grog? I'll grog. Don't flog, you frog. Bog my fog and I'll jog and slog to Prague. Off to clog with a frog and a hog in a bog.

So log.
    Dr, Seuss has joined ABW. I thought he was dead!!!!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I have several blogs but only one has my heart and i can post everyday. when i feel. there aren't many downsides to blogs. it can be used in many different ways if you're creative
    Yup a Blog is only as good as the time you put into it, if you only update once in every blue moon then it'll not get picked up or noticed. Gotta put your heart into it. I've done 4 blogs so far and all have died slow deaths due to lack of time and my inability to string more then 4 sentences together

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

The editor who handles the feeds said that specific detail is available through Feedburner.

Thanks Karl, just logged into my Feedburner account and sure enough there are the stats. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Now I don't expect you to give away all your secrets, but I did read on one of your other posts here on ABW that you were using MoveableType and were thinking of using Wordpress for blogs on your site. Which of those do you find works the best? Do both of them allow you to embed your blog into a template on your site? I really like the way you have the blogs embedded into your site and I'd love to set up a similar kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    I've done 4 blogs so far and all have died slow deaths due to lack of time and my inability to string more then 4 sentences together
    That's funny Chris.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I was surfing around when I came across this hilarious article about blogging from 2003:

Here's some excerpts (emphasis added):

Step 1: Come up with an idea for a weblog. Step 2: Find a designer to create the template. Step 3: Pay an editor a couple thousand bucks a month to write it. Step 4: Pocket a small profit from affiliate sales and banner ads.
    For less than $40,000, Denton can afford to put up a site that may not pan out.
    40k! Ha ha ha!

Personally I like the Free--Write It Myself method!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread