Custom Datafeed Import Scripts
    Since I've written quite a few of these now, I've become quite good at building import scripts for any and every datafeed. I've made the process fully automatic so you never have to worry about updating your products or prices. Here is a small list of features I can provide:

- mySQL product, link, image, price updates with PHP.
    - Out of stock products are removed automatically.
    - Use the crontab so you never have to think about it.
    - Custom code to accomodate your current database format.
    - Commented code for ease of understanding.
    - Email support after code is implemented.

If you're interested in a quote, just let me know what datafeed you're working with and a brief description of your server and current database schema. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Since it's not a good idea to flood the net with duplicate content, you need to tell me how you're going to use this data and prove that you're going to be adding value rather than creating more search engine spam. Established websites only.

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

A solid comparison engine is difficult. I think the difficult part is making exact match declarations about products between datafeeds. Getting the information updated regularly with prices is no problem as long as you have access to the data. Getting the data is another story. In order to get prices from different stores you need to apply to each store's affiliate program and request their datafeed. You need to import this data and figure out a way to match it to the data from another datafeed. It's difficult though because most feeds don't have model number or UPC codes. I wish you luck!

- Scott

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    @ Snib--

I just saw your comment in another thread that you're getting hardly any Google traffic since the Dec 15th update. Now I'm pissed! You get penalized (or even banned) and then come off with this high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou attitude? That's BS pure and simple!

1) Where do you get off demanding proof of anything? Obviously Google thought YOU were spamming the engine or they wouldn't have tanked your site to "practically nil" traffic! How dare you hold others to a different standard than you held yourself to ONLY 2 MONTHS AGO!!?

2) Are you willing to sign a noncompete/nondisclosure agreement for any "proof" you get? You've got a heck of a big motive for wanting these ideas, er, "proofs!" And the motive I see has absolutely nothing to do with SE purity!

I wouldn't fork over Original Idea the First to anyone who demanded it, and certainly not someone who was pumping out pages like a machine only 2 months ago and is now pretending that he thinks that's something awful!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I don't like what you're inferring here. I've been a developer building applications for such companies as Mitsubishi, BMW, Toshiba, TGIFridays, KIA, Epson and even my University. They gave me control over social security numbers, students' grades and schedules, credit card numbers and applications that very few people have access to or even know about. This is my profession. Affiliate marketing is my secondary income and my development playground. I do it for fun and enjoy building applications. I love new ideas and love to develop applications for others. I've written just about every type of program under the rainbow and have a little spare time to open myself up to ABW members. I'm insulted that you would think I'm looking to undermine my fellow affiliates. I was a developer before I came into this game and I'll always remain a developer.

- Scott

Leader did bring up a good point that I forgot to mention. If you are concerned about your ideas, I am willing to sign a nondisclosure agreement. Rest assurred that I'll keep your ideas under wraps and I'll do everything I can to help you succeed in your business. I'm looking to establish business partnerships that can last beyond the scope of a single project. All code comes with a support period and guarantee.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by c4actbe
    The only "multistore" feed with prices i found so far is that $250 feed from CJ.
    Do you think it is worth of trying or there is a cheaper alternative? If it is, do you know any php parsers for it?

Do you have any thoughts about using pricegrabber or any other established price comparison site to extract data?

Thanks for your help!
    I think the CJ feed is worth it if it offers data that you can use. I think you first need to decide which merchants you want to promote and what sort of data you want to work with. Pick a niche and try to decide on a market then go from there. I don't know there is any sort of datafeed service at pricegrabber so that may not be the path you want to take. I know that sites like Pricegrabber and Bizrate have their merchants enter information into their sites which makes it very easy for them to group products. Starting out it's much more difficult because you need to do all the work yourself. If you want to make easy matches, a book comparison site is a good example. ISBN Information is readily available which makes it easy to match products.

Good luck!
    - Scott

I'm insulted
    That's to be expected, but that requirement does give me very serious concerns and I must voice them. My conscience wouldn't allow me to be silent when I see such a great potential for conflicts of interest and abuse! Even now that my blood pressure has lowered a bit, I still have these concerns.

Are you willing to back up your insultedness with noncompete/nondisclosure agreements? I don't think that's an unreasonable request especially in the face of a demand for what is proprietary information. I always get NC/NDCs when soliciting quotes for anything really "special." A way to unique-ize a feed to the extent you were describing, IS something special!!

NC/NDC usually doesn't throw people. It's when I say I want an exclusive that suddenly the price goes all the way up to Saturn...

If you will indeed sign NCs and NDCs so that customers' ideas are adequetly protected, then I will retract my insinuations that you are just fishing for new ideas.

But I still find it bogus that you won't help people do what you were doing only 2 months ago. What kind of a raw deal is that! It's like junking a car just because you got it impounded for a while. What a terrible waste!

Affiliate marketing is my secondary income and my development playground.
    In another thread, you had used the terms "heartbreak" and "losing it all overnight" in relation to adverse Google change. That hardly seemed like the language someone would use to refer to a secondary income. Did I misinterpret that--were you worried that MY heart would break if my rankings went toward the zero-end of the thermometer?

If so, don't worry about that. They'd have broken it long ago if that'd do it! And what Google can engineer, I can reverse-engineer...

I just don't want to help somebody produce 100's of duplicate websites. I want to help you build established websites because that's what Google wants. There are enough websites up that nobody needs to create a new website for several years.

By using the terms 'heartbreak' and 'losting it all overnight' I'm generalizing the consensus of these Google updates. I've heard sentiments like this for months.

Anyway, what I was doing 2 months ago I started 12 months ago. I haven't started any new websites since then and don't plan to for quite some time. I think it's important to work with what you have rather than spreading yourself too thin.

As I posted above I'm willing to sign NCs and NDCs if the situation warrants it.

Thanks for toning it down and have a great weekend!!
    - Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    @ Snib--

I just saw your comment in another thread that you're getting hardly any Google traffic since the Dec 15th update. Now I'm pissed! You get penalized (or even banned) and then come off with this high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou attitude? That's BS pure and simple!
    It sounds more to me like someone who learned (the hard way) how serious a duplicate content penalty/ban is. We all live and learn.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

As I posted above I'm willing to sign NCs and NDCs if the situation warrants it.
    Oh, okay...sorry I missed it. Cool.

As for established sites, most of us probably do have too many sites. But usually a major change to an established site means the loss of all the old ranks, because the new page names are all different. So I hate to change my old sites in any way that'd cause that to happen. Therefore, when I come up with a new idea I usually put it on a new site. The only exception is if the old site's been rotting at the bottom of the engines. Then might as well reengineer it!

Also a lot of my doms are blatantly shopping related, so if I want to write about something *besides* that, usually I have to buy a new domain.

By using the terms 'heartbreak' and 'losting it all overnight' I'm generalizing the consensus of these Google updates. I've heard sentiments like this for months.
    There's always tears with an update...but somewhere, someone else must be "yessing" that they just hit the top 10. But the "yessers" tend to hush up, it seems.

Thanks for toning it down and have a great weekend!!
    You too, just don't get Borged into the C*ntent Nation...

It sounds more to me like someone who learned (the hard way) how serious a duplicate content penalty/ban is. We all live and learn.~Michael Coley
    I resent it when people try to dictate how much risk *I* can assume; I am not a minor and it is my decision to make.

"Snib", I need a script written to convert an osCommerce databate into a SaS datafeed. If you are interested, reply to my forum here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=54459

request for help
    Hello scott,

I am unable to send a pm so i would like to receive quote on getting help setting up a script that has more than one affilate and use like a product search.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Since I've written quite a few of these now, I've become quite good at building import scripts for any and every datafeed. I've made the process fully automatic so you never have to worry about updating your products or prices. Here is a small list of features I can provide:

- Email support after code is implemented.

If you're interested in a quote, just let me know what datafeed you're working with and a brief description of your server and current database schema. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Since it's not a good idea to flood the net with duplicate content, you need to tell me how you're going to use this data and prove that you're going to be adding value rather than creating more search engine spam. Established websites only.

Thank you!
    - Scott
    Last edited by Leader; February 22nd, 2005 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Morgan,

I don't want to offer private contact information on a public forum, so I'm not sure how to get in touch with you without a private message. Maybe if you make a few posts you'll be able to enable it.

Thanks!
    - Scott

I agree that the rule is a little constricting, but I have no control over it. It does help ensure that you've made a relatively small investment to partake in the activities here.

the 50 post PM rule is pure BS... I have had similar troubles already

So what if someone signs up, 0 posts and private messages every member of ABW with their spam?
    I think the 50 post PM rule is good.

just my $0.02

I am not able to PM you since i just signed up to this board. I need to create a datafeed from my oscommerce store for shareasale. can you please email me your rates.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snib

- email support after code is implemented.

Thank you!
    - Scott

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread