Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Google Update Underway
    Looks like another Google update underway, and possibly a big one. My biggest site has been whacked quite badly, but my other sites are significantly up.

I'm seeing some major changes in the SERPS - check out http://216.239.57.99/
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Haven't really noticed anything myself, but any change is a good change. That URL you offered doesn't work for me.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes an update is underway, but for better or worser results for me I can not say at this time.

roland

15 years and counting
    Google is not predictable anymore. I see amazon.com everywhere. Not much room left if you're not a merchant with many incoming links. I'm still in the game but for how long. More and more irrelevant serps.

Unhappy
    Dont know how it will end up but for the time being my site doesnt even show up when I search for my domain name, it was there till yesterday.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

One of my main sites barely shows at all. It seems many affiliate sites are getting pummeled. It seems someone is always getting hit hard, I'm just hoping its not my turn...

It's early, and they are probably not done yet.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Yes, someone always seems to get pummelled.. this time it's my turn - I haven't been screwed by Google for a year so I guess my time was up.

Actually, last year I did get hit pretty bad but traffic recovered after a couple of months. This time round I have some other sites which have gone UP - it's well worth having a backup plan.

I can't complain.. I've just banked my pre-Christmas earnings and they were pretty good.

Don't panic though - the dance isn't over yet, and your site may well make a recovery. The worst case scenario is that you might have to build a NEW site optimised differently, and if you haven't got one already it's worth starting something new in parallel to what you already have.

Although I always hate the sick feeling that these things happen.. it ain't the first time.. it won't be the last.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Google is now my #3 traffic provider for 5 out of 6 of my sites. The only site that Google still offers traffic to is about 8 years old, so I think unless you have a very old site you won't have much luck getting traffic from Google. Funny, this time last year I had almost no traffic from Yahoo and MSN and now it's totally flipped. I saw it coming, so at least I've been working towards establishing my sites better for the users. I don't think it's a good idea to build more sites to counter these updates. The best thing you can do is think about your visitors and try to talk to them. Set up newsletters, offer what they want. Try to develop a demographic and sell what sells best to your audience. Forget trying to rely on free search engine traffic unless your site is good enough to get free links from your visitors. Offer something valuable and helpful and you won't feel any pain in times like this.

Just my 2 cents,
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't been doing well in Google, so we shall see what the latest change brings.

Google hasn't been a player for me in over a year other than that one content site I have which dropped down from number one last month to out of site. They put it to number 3 this update. Still nothing for any of my other sites though. After a year I'm use to it. I still miss Yahoo and MSN big time though

Dynamoo, hopefully you won't have to take a turn cause it sucks big time!

Last year, at this time, about 75% of my search engine traffic came from Google. It's down to almost nothing. MSN is #1 and Yahoo, #2.

My site was in and out of Google all day yesterday. I don't even want to look right now.

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like we're all in the same boat. My affilaite sites have been getting more trafic from Adwords than from free Google searches for the last several months.

If you havn't diversified by now there are gonna be some tough months ahead.

YEAH! I got hid hard with the last update a couple of months ago, but if yesterday's stats are any indication... all my lost google traffic has been recovered.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Google is #6 referrer for me. I get more traffic from Yahoo and MSN. I really don't give a s*&t what google does anymore. Their SERPS for most searches I do returns garbage anyway.

Wishful thinking but I hope the new MSN search boots google from #1. It is time for them to fall.

Still a lot of changes underway, so hold tight. On this occassion I give you permission to resort to a bottle of something alcoholic to steady your nerves, but only if you are not driving or operating machinery.

Oh the pure thrill of seeing my stats back up...please let me enjoy my moment. Even if it may be delusional and temporary!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

so hold tight. On this occassion I give you permission to resort to a bottle of something alcoholic to steady your nerves,
    Hold on ... were we supposed to stop?
    I've been resorting to that since Florida!
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I read in another forum that internal links may not be counting anymore. Is that true?
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

I'm not sure about internal linking - I have two similar sites with similar linking and one is up a lot, one down.

My gut feeling at the moment is that it's to do with the quality of the external links.

I look after a lot of sites, some of which are real run-of-the-mill sites that aren't SEOed and have incredibly narrow niches. Some of these have a blank description and no snippet, some are missing altogether. But the sites are listed in places like DMOZ and aren't in highly competitive areas, and have been around for a couple of years. This has got to be a BUG. (Incidentally, these sites are hosted in the 81.21.x.x range in the UK).

On top of that are some mid-ranking PR5/PR6 sites where there is a lot of jiggling about, some waaay up, some waaay down. This is the kind of thing we are used to, I guess.

Another one??
    Another Google update? Traffic is lower today than previous 12 months.

Ah hell, I'm going to Vegas to make some money. See ya next week.

- I am not young enough to know everything

Ah hell, I'm going to Vegas to make some money. See ya next week.
    see ya there, leaving Sunday and staying a few days ... hope the update is done and things are better by then ... don't want the added pressure of having to win all the money I'll be losing with this update lol ....
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, some bouncing. Typed coupon codes into Google a few mintues ago and whatever data center i was looking at, the results were all supplemental results and horrible. I kinda miss the old days with the once a month dances, they were fun

Google blows or sucks?

All I can say to this is ..... Ouch!
    Eat Less. Move More. :cool:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast