Frequency of Consolidated Payments?
    I was hoping someone from Linkshare could answer this question.

Once Consolidated Payments are in place, how frequently will Linkshare be making consolidated payments? Monthly? Bi-monthly? Weekly? What will the cutoff be? Will merchant payments you receive the day before you cut consolidated checks be included?

While it's a great idea on the surface, Consolidated Payments could introduce significant delays if not implemented properly.

Consider the following two examples, for instance:

1) The Bad Example. Consolidated Payments are made monthly, and merchant payments must be received a week before the payments are made. In this case, if payments are always made on the 15th and a merchant payment arrives on the 9th (missing the cut-off), it won't be paid until the 15th of the FOLLOWING month. That's a delay of over 5 weeks.

2) The Good Example. Consolidated Payments are made weekly for all merchant payments received up through the previous day. Say, for instance, that they are always made on Wednesdays. In this case, affiliates will always get paid within a week of when the merchant pays. For instance, if a payment comes in on Wednesday, the affiliate would be paid the following Wednesday. If a payment comes in on Tuesday, the affiliate would be paid the next day.

The two keys are frequency and cut-offs. In my opinion, weekly would be ideal. The cut-off should be as small as possible.

I hope Linkshare can provide some guidance as to how this will work.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I am quite concerned that there has been no "official" communication from Linkshare to its affiliates explaining how condolidated payments will be structured, and that the implementation date (if I remember correctly) is May 2005.

This leads me to conclude that they truly haven't made decisions yet. Or have just made this announcement to keep affiliates from leaving their programs.

Jazz Times

ABW Ambassador
    I am looking forward to an official announcement, as well.

ABW Ambassador
    Weekly payments are one big pain in the neck. Partner weekly does that and it's just more unnecessary paperwork. The way CJ and Shareasale do it is the best, a set monthly date in which you get paid. Also, requiring an escrow account would eliminate or decrease the problems of not getting paid in a timely manner.

I'd vote for monthly payments. But like someone said, it'd be nice if they made any sort of announcement to their affiliates.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Weekly payments are one big pain in the neck.
    I would have thought you were absolutely bananas on that one, but now that I don't *have to* go out in the w*nter, I find myself saving up checks for a while (unless I suspect that they might not be good for long) to lessen the times I have to go to the bank.

But, when there is direct deposit along with the consolidated payments, my opinion is that the more often the pay comes, the better! I've never minded getting paid twice as often from Performics, for instance!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Normally I'd have thought I was bananas too Leader, however, with 4 kids, and lots of checks coming weekly, it is just a regular nuisance and a bookkeeping nuisance. PW doesn't pay on the same date of the month, so you get paid for partial months, then need to go reconcile between two months ...a current and a past, etc.

One of my merchants at Performics asked if we wanted weekly payments as well and I shot that down. Right now, I just want to see LS get their act together and put out consolidated checks and/or direct deposit.

Come on, you'd think if networks like Partner Weekly, SAS, and Clixgalore can do it, so can they.

Robin

All I can say is that if they keep things the way they are (no escrow and a huge variation in time that it takes merchants to pay--and I don't see this changing), and then put consolidated checks into the mix, we're going to have yet another HUGE delay added if we're not paid as frequently as weekly.

Linkshare already introduces delays of 3-4 weeks (and sometimes considerably more) into the payment process. We don't need another 2-4 weeks worth of delays. Consolidated Payments was supposed to help us, not hurt us.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

CCBill does weeklies like clockwork...never had a problem there. Wish they all could be like that!
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

I met with LS this week in Toronto and while I'm not a liberty to say how it will work, I can say I was pleasently surprised... and I believe everyone will be.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Special Liaison
    Michael,

Thank you for your interest in our consolidated payment process. While the schedule of roll out was discussed at our LinkShare Executive Marketing Summit, the details of how all this would work where not discussed. As such, we would prefer to make the announcement of how the payment process will work after completing the launch of our new affiliate registration system (which we call "project Athena"). Project Athena is a necessary first step for our payment project, allowing us to make sure that all our affiliates have been passed through verification against various third party-supplied databases before we switch to consolidated payment through single check and
    wire transfers. An announcement with further details will be coming shortly, with the launch scheduled for early March. I know that everyone is excited by this enhancement to our payment process, but it is important that each step is taken before we jump ahead.

Regards,
    Gloria

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Hi All

I met with LS this week in Toronto and while I'm not a liberty to say how it will work, I can say I was pleasently surprised... and I believe everyone will be.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for that - it's giving me some hope!

Cool Got the "Project Athena" e-mail
    Just got the e-mail from Linkshare announcing "Project Athena" - Consolidated payments would be a great thing.

Many of the new things referred to in the announcement are already there like providing tax IDs etc. By the way what the heck are third-party databases?

I am sceptical about big projects with funny names like this one - Could it be an indication of a major classic Linkshare screwup? Last time, I think in 2003, LS required affiliates to fill tax forms, a process which ended up delaying our payment by a few months to say the least.

I sure hope that the people at LS are on top of this one!!

marcelle

Linkshare:
    Please don't forget that those of us who live outside the US pay a fat fee every time we cash a USD check.

So please, please, please can we set our own minimum payment level so that the bank fee does not take too big a chunk out of small checks.

CJ manages to pay a GBP sterling payment direct into UK account so that would be nice as well.

Les

Consolidated payments?... Yippy!... First I've heard of it... Could someone point me to some more info on this?

Please don't forget that those of us who live outside the US pay a fat fee every time we cash a USD check.

So please, please, please can we set our own minimum payment level so that the bank fee does not take too big a chunk out of small checks.

CJ manages to pay a GBP sterling payment direct into UK account so that would be nice as well.
    As far as I am aware at this time, direct deposit will be global. I believe there is likely to be one / two months of consolidated cheques before consolidated direct deposit happens..... and then I'm hitting the UK to start a new recruiting drive as all international barriers will be down

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    Global direct deposits? No bank charges from those? Pinch me. I must be dreaming.

If that is for real, I really gotta start adding more linkshare merchants.

I have been waiting so long for consolidated payments. Those of you who live outside U.S. have no idea how much that means to the rest of us.

No bank charges from those?
    No idea about that, but I'm sure that if there was a small charge it would still easily be cheaper than the cost of cashing individual cheques (as well as around 6 weeks faster to get the money).... I'll ask for more info on overseas payments.

Cheers

Chris

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread