Would yahoo penalize sites with adsense?
    I recently added adsense to my personal site where I sell my own products and have seen a huge decrease in traffic from Yahoo. I used to have the number one slot on Yahoo for my main search term, but now I'm on about the 4th page. Traffic from Yahoo has now dropped from about 5-6,000 a day to 200 day. I heard it here that perhaps this is temporary, but who knows. Just wondering if anyone has noticed a decrease in traffic from Yahoo after putting in adsense links.
    Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    There's no correlation at all between use of Adsense and rankings in Yahoo.

Good to know. The timing of it all was what had me wondering. I kind of like having the idea of a conspiracy as the reason. The only change I did on my index page was to put up a photo of Cher and swapped out the Beyonce pic. Maybe the boys at Yahoo, don't like Cher.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Good to know. The timing of it all was what had me wondering. I kind of like having the idea of a conspiracy as the reason. The only change I did on my index page was to put up a photo of Cher and swapped out the Beyonce pic. Maybe the boys at Yahoo, don't like Cher.
    Too funny!

Mind you, I regard the folks at Yahoo as lowlife slimy no-good bags of pus who would sell their grandmothers to make a profit. Although I don't know of a connection, it doesn't mean that they won't try this in the futures.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Don't believe Yahoo would do that. I've seen some sites with adsense rank high on Yahoo SERPs.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

Don't believe Yahoo would do that. I've seen some sites with adsense rank high on Yahoo SERPs.
    I've not seen any evidence of widespread abuse by Yahoo, but past experiences show me that they are completely unethical when it comes to dealing with webmasters.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

http and a telephoto
    I have a lot of adsense on my sites and am getting a lot of traffic from Yahoo also, so I agree that they are not penalizing on that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

My Yahoo! traffic dropped from 4,000 to 20 a day since November, but I've had adsense on some pages for many months prior to this happening, including pages with top ten rankings. Now I can only locate 2 pages out of 600 previously on Yahoo and both pages rank #1 for the main keyword. I'm hoping it's just a hiccup.
    ~Ernie

Yahoo just changed some stuff , adsnse has no effect on it at all just bad timing
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I had an affiliate site dropped by Yahoo last July just when it started getting over a 1000 visitors a day from them (Yahoo never came back). Then last month another site dropped when it stated getting over a 1000 visitors a day coincidence, maybe. I have a feeling Yahoo will get rid of a lot of popular affiliate sites, in order to make us pay to play.

By the way these were not spammy sites but had what the visitor wanted, no pops and each with a bookmark rate of 8% and 5% respectivly. Oh and no Adsense on them.

95% of my site is my own products that I sell. Not just exlusively an affiliate site. This happened once before when I went from #1 for my main search term to about 30th. It did come back a month or so later, so hopefully it will happen again. Just the timing of everything got me to wonder.

ono:

I have a feeling Yahoo will get rid of a lot of popular affiliate sites, in order to make us pay to play.
    It has often been reported by webmasters (including myself) that Yahoo seems to seek out certain commercial sites for a penalty to encourage them to advertise with Overture. This is especially obvious with Inktomi subscribers, where sites are deliberately dropped from the index to aid sign ups to the Overture program.

About a year before the great Inktomi scam, Yahoo scammed subscribers to the Yahoo directory by conducting a massive signup campaign and then dropping subscribers from the SERPs.

Whereas I believe that Google is ethical but clumsy and heavy-handed, I think that Yahoo's lack of ethics mean that they are capable of just about anything. In terms of ethics I put them way down on a par with Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Yahoo just changed some stuff , adsnse has no effect on it at all just bad timing
    Yahoo change the other day put back to the top about a third of my sites that dropped out of site right after Christmas. Something is going on with them. I hope the others get put back to the front page of the searches. Now I need MSN to follow Some of the pages have Google Adsense on them BTW!

Yeah, I think the change will be short lived and if you ranked well before, you will again. In checking the sites that replaced me, they all pretty much repeatedly use my main keyword 5 times within the first paragraph or so. A bit spammy, but it appears yahoo doesn't mind for the moment.

My site that was dropped by Yahoo last month, as of yesterday is now back in thier seach results. Not back on page one yet, but at least it is listed again.
    But the big news for me is that Google who had not sent any traffic to this site in over 6 months are now the number 4 reffer after MSN, Yahoo, and Ask Jeeves.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread