ABW Ambassador
    Adsense Restrictions, Gray Areas, Pharmacy Stuff
    [bad Garrett Morris impersonation]
    Adsense has been bery bery good to me.
    [/bad Garrett Morris impersonation]

I've been thinking of ways to increase my adsense income and exposure. The money has been increasing without my help. Traffic has increased and adsense revenue has increased a like amount. I figure if I could build more content, I could build more income that will build itself.

One is not allowed to place adsense ads on sites selling or promoting ion drugs. That is spelled out in the policy restrictions, it's the very last bullet point under restrictions as if they really want you to see that one in particular.

However, I have been thumbing through my wife's pharmacy technician manuals/training materials recently. I have always been fascinated by medicine and have thought about using the "SQ3R" study technique on this material to increase my store of "useless" information.

Great, what does SQ3R and your store of useless knowledge have to do with Google Adsense?

Survey, Question, Read Recite Review.

Survey: write down subheadings of the chapter, write down any definitions and bolded text prior to actively reading. Take note of that chapter's "expected outcomes"

Question: end of chapter questions. Write them down.

Read: read the material

Recite: Answer your questions. Return to the text if needed. Explain the expected outcomes, in your own words.

Review: The next day, read again and then read notes. Review again the night before any graded examination.

I'm worried about the word "pharmacy" all over the (possible) site.

Sure, the notes would contain information about drug families (and provide examples of drugs contained in that family), mathematical conversions, and even latin lessons.

Would Google find any harm with me putting adsense on those notes? Thoughts? Opinions?

I told my wife before we got married that I was going to memorize those books. I still have to hold up that end of the bargain three years later. I figured that I could profit in addition to boosting my ego.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know for sure, but in my opinion--the AdSense algo would probably flag it as a possible violation. However, I think a human review would clear it. After all, *talking about* pharmaceutical stuff isn't the same as selling it!

Although, on the other hand, they may think you're just waiting for a chance to slap some aff links on it!

I think it may come down to how the site presentation ended up. Some sites are obviously purely educational, and then there's the ones where you can tell they're just waiting for the DMOZ editor to show up so they can get the PAY LINKS up.

If the presentation is as inaccessible to Mr./Ms. Average Joker as it sounds like it'd be, it should be unsalesy enough...

write down subheadings of the chapter, write down any definitions and bolded text
    OMG. That's how they're telling people to study nowadays?! *feeling woozy* By re-writing down, exactly what the book has already written down??

...And they wondered why I couldn't tolerate school How cockamamie can it get That's even worse than when I was in. (When I was in, teachers liked to dream that students would actually have to listen to their lectures to learn. Ha ha ha...they soooo wished...)

Sheesh that whole way of doing things that you described (SQ3R) would drive me absolutely nuts and I don't think I'd get a *thing* out of it. But whatever works for you...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

iddb.org (not my site) has been running Adsense for a long time, probably close to a year or more that I know of, and nothing has been said to him about it. I think it's just in the presentation, like Leader said. As long as you're not trying to promote the [use of] drugs or sell the drugs you should be ok.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

I had a website long long time ago (back in 2004) about pharmacy, that was only intended to provide clicks to pharmacy related AdSense ads. Those times there was no restriction (Square Trade) and any pharmacy affiliate could promote on adwords and the bids were "vewwy vewwwy high."

I've earned some money.. but it lasted only for 1-2 weeks. After that even though I had a big page with content about a certain drug, AdSense was only showing PSAs on my pharmacy related website.

You could try some pharmacy affiliate programs. PM for infos

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    The best answer is to ask the Adsense people. Send them an email detailing the sight in question and they will let you know what is or is not appropriate.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Woz
    The best answer is to ask the Adsense people. Send them an email detailing the sight in question and they will let you know what is or is not appropriate.
    Yes... I guess this is the best way you can find out your answer. But from my experience with google, I think it will be a definite NO. Google always follows the rules, especially those made by them!

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >will be a definite NO.

Not always. The point is, ask them and get their ruling - and keep the emails incase they are needed later on.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    OMG. That's how they're telling people to study nowadays?! *feeling woozy* By re-writing down, exactly what the book has already written down??

...And they wondered why I couldn't tolerate school How cockamamie can it get That's even worse than when I was in. (When I was in, teachers liked to dream that students would actually have to listen to their lectures to learn. Ha ha ha...they soooo wished...)

Sheesh that whole way of doing things that you described (SQ3R) would drive me absolutely nuts and I don't think I'd get a *thing* out of it. But whatever works for you...
    SQ3R meant acing tests without doing any of my homework back in high school. I had far more free time than any of my friends because of it.

Woz: I'll get started on it and submit the first few pages to google.

Dapyx: if google doesn't work out, I'll send a PM.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hopefully they will approve it for you! Daypyx has a point though--if there aren't any pharmacy advertisers, there won't be any ads to show...

As for SQ3R, like I said, whatever works... I did fine on tests (the one area of sch**l I was good at) and all I did was read the books through the same way as I'd read a John Grisham book, only about 3 times instead of once. It worked for everything except math. Some teachers hated that I didn't have to show up for the regular classes to pass their tests because it showed the real value of their lectures (none!)...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread