Wireless Networks and 2.4ghz Cordless Phones
    I just had a Qwest technician come by to resovle problems with my DSL connection. He commented that the problem with my laptop losing its wireless connection was being caused by our 2.04ghz cordless phone.

As a test, we booted up the laptop and made call on the cordless phone. The instant I start dialing, the wifi connection was dropped. Evidently, the ActionTec modems that Qwest provides broadcasts at 2.4.

Has anybody else here experienced the same problem and if so, what did you? I realize buying a 5.8 phone would be a solution, but I'd rather not spend the money on a new phone if I can avoid it.

The way I understand it, 802.11 b and g wifi operate in the same range as the popular 2.4Ghz phones. 802.11a operates in a different range.

Does your phone have a channel selection on it? Try changing channels after you initiate the phone connection. Works for me.

I have a 2.4gb wireless network with 5gb phone.. I think you can force your wireless network to use 1 of the 3 channels that DO NOT OVERLAP... ie, in the frequency band there are 12 channels that overlap but 3 isoloated channels that do not. You should be able to force your AP to use the lowest channel (channel 1) and your phone to use the highest channel (channel 12) and they should not interfere... The trick is making your PHONE stay on that channel.... You could always buy the cheaper 900 mz phone..

If your phone doesn't have the channel selection check out your router. I had the same problem with my router and wireless kb/mouse setup..

log into your router and change the channel it uses if your phone uses channels 1 - 25 set your router to use channels 25 - 1000
    You can't do that easily with most routers and you may need hacked firmware to do it.

to get into your router direct your browser to http://192.168.1.1 enter the user and pass you created if you didn't create one use the default admin/admin

I'm using an Uniden cordless that I bought on clearance from Target for $13. It's got caller ID and that's about it. No way to change the channel as far as I can tell. I may try the Uniden site to see if there is anything.

I'm going to look at the router and see if I can't change the router's configuration. Qwest provides a decent user interface for it, so it may be worth a shot.

I'm actually amazed that this problem hasn't gotten more publicity. From my limited searching on Google, this seems like a fairly common problem.

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread