New affiliate
    I got into affiliate publishing a few months back because I was looking for a business that needed no inventory and no shipping/return problems etc.. This seemed to be a good fit. Since I started, Ive joined cj.com and found hundreds of markets. I also learned about how Google Adsense can enhance your revenue on the site etc.. I use Dreamweaver and Web Position Gold.

The problem that I am experiencing is I get alot of page impressions but my sales basically suck. Even with Adsense (which normally is pennies a day) Has anyone else experienced this?
    Joe

Joe what kind of website do you run and what kind of ads are you putting on it. I use what I call the 1% rule to determine the amount of sales I will get from an ad. Generally speaking with 1% of the people who view an ad will click on it and 1% of the people who click on it will buy something. That means for every 1000 impressions you could expect 1 sale. Of course that 1% is an arbitrary number that will vary based upon your ads, and visitors but it's a decent estimate in most cases. You may just be promoting the wrong sites.

Thanks for the metric. Thats a good indicator that my site needs alot more work. I R New. So, I am learning. I just figured out how to use web positions software so I have learned a bunch about niches. My sites are centered around consumer electronics. Im thinking that maybe Im not focused enough specifically on topics? There is so much to learn....

JD, I too am relatively new at affiliate marketing, though perhaps a bit more along than you. I recently set up a website centering on a small niche market, and I just got my first sale from the site (two, actually) today! Unfortunately, my site is sandboxed in Google for my major terms and so it might be a while for it to get out.

I don't know where Trilitech gets the .1% sale percent. I think it really depends on the site. With the two sales I just wrote about, my site is doing much better than that. However, another site of mine which got around 50,000 visitors for the month of January may have been lower than .1%, because it was more of an informational site than a commercial niche site.

Yeah, like I said my 1% rule is just the rule of thumb I use as a rough estimate for my sites. It will of course vary based upon the site and the product. It's just been my average.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius
    JD, I too am relatively new at affiliate marketing, though perhaps a bit more along than you. I recently set up a website centering on a small niche market, and I just got my first sale from the site (two, actually) today! Unfortunately, my site is sandboxed in Google for my major terms and so it might be a while for it to get out.

I don't know where Trilitech gets the .1% sale percent. I think it really depends on the site. With the two sales I just wrote about, my site is doing much better than that. However, another site of mine which got around 50,000 visitors for the month of January may have been lower than .1%, because it was more of an informational site than a commercial niche site.

Trili, why do visitors arrive at your site? Is it more informational-based, or is product-mall, or is it a combination of the two?

The reason I ask is because the site I mentioned above (getting thousands of hits per day but really few sales) made me think...my family's business owns a retail store for which I made a website, and although that website was getting far fewer hits per day than my other site, it was getting many more sales.

It really made me realize how certain people are actively searching for products with credit card in hand, and these should be your target market. Others are searching for free information, and they'll likely only buy if something pops up that they notice which convinces them to make a purchase. Of course, this latter group is a tough sell.

Think about this -- when someone's birthday is around the corner, and I realize I just have to buy something today and have it shipped off and done with -- I will search sites and will likely end up buying something from someone, even if it might not be the "perfect gift". I'm an easy sell in those circumstances. At other times, when I just want to check the news or fantasy sports scores or whatever, I'm a tough sell, and I ignore pretty much all the ads I see.

Mine are mostly stores. Just getting a few content sites up now.

Generally speaking
    Online store=high conversion, low amounts of free traffic.
    Content site=low conversion, high amounts of free traffic

I think the ideal combination is a content site with a built in store. Sadly this is one I haven't tried yet. It'll probably be what I do next though. I'm by no means an expert on this, I'm sure others here know much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius
    Trili, why do visitors arrive at your site? Is it more informational-based, or is product-mall, or is it a combination of the two?

The reason I ask is because the site I mentioned above (getting thousands of hits per day but really few sales) made me think...my family's business owns a retail store for which I made a website, and although that website was getting far fewer hits per day than my other site, it was getting many more sales.

It really made me realize how certain people are actively searching for products with credit card in hand, and these should be your target market. Others are searching for free information, and they'll likely only buy if something pops up that they notice which convinces them to make a purchase. Of course, this latter group is a tough sell.

Think about this -- when someone's birthday is around the corner, and I realize I just have to buy something today and have it shipped off and done with -- I will search sites and will likely end up buying something from someone, even if it might not be the "perfect gift". I'm an easy sell in those circumstances. At other times, when I just want to check the news or fantasy sports scores or whatever, I'm a tough sell, and I ignore pretty much all the ads I see.

That's a good idea. I should try doing that. I'm still somewhat new to this as well, and what I've been doing in the past has been trying to incorporate ads in with my existing content-rich site in hopes that someone makes a purchase. I should try the approach of setting up a separate "store" section on my site with items related to my content.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilitech
    I think the ideal combination is a content site with a built in store. Sadly this is one I haven't tried yet. It'll probably be what I do next though. I'm by no means an expert on this, I'm sure others here know much better.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread