Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    Bummed
    After building my first site and realizing it just wasn't a very good idea ... not to mention the fact that half of stopped working right... I am just bummed. I have an idea for my next project...but to be honest I just don't want to spend more money on a domain and hosting that ends up not working. I just need to find a good idea and run with it. I had been planning on making a magazine affiliate store...but i don't know now. Depressing....

One of those days

Chad

Maybe someone here would be interested in buying your half-finished work?
    You may at least get some money back
    Victor
    [url=http://dir.seo7.net]FREE Website Directory[/url] <- add your link NOW!
    [url=http://seo7.net/buy]Buy links[/url] <- cheap

haha... i don't think so.

Not too good HJ, but please dont give up.. What ever dont kill ya, makes you stronger.

Hold ya head up folk

ABW Ambassador
    Gotta keep at it. Sometimes people have quit too early and who knows what they could have done. When i first started with a shopping site, i kept updating it but was getting 0 traffic. Sometimes i thought why the hell am i updating a site that no one is going to see. But i kept going anyway and as time went by, traffic increased and sales started to happen. If i stopped, i would still be waking up too early in the morning to go to a job. Keep at it, try different things out until you find out what makes you money.

Congrats on learning to recognize what doesn't work, and leaning to cut your losses. Those are tough lessons but worth a mint to learn. Too many affiliates keep doing the same old thing expecting different results. Now if you just learn to make a habit of trying new things, you can make a living online.

Ray

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Chad,

It's part and parcel of AM. Over time (experience) being able to determine why something doesn't work (assuming your site not working = not making the dollars) is one of the keys to successful affiliates. Was it truly not a great idea or was it in the implementation? There are many factors that come into play for whether a site makes money or not. Being able to recognize and assess those factors is some of the most valuable knowledge you'll have as an affiliate. Even the most seasoned affiliates still put up stuff that doesn't work at times. Learn from why your first site isn't working and you'll turn that time and effort into something that can't be measured by the total of a single commission check.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You picked a hard category to do well with--magazines. I myself have a mag site, and now that the merchant I was using is dead (closed program), I am torn as to whether to bother to put up Andy's feed instead, or just sell that domain.

In general, I will second TrustNo1's advice--perserverance is a big part of success in this business!!

But I will also add, that you *really* need to pick a better category. The problem with the darned magazines is that everybody and his sister is trying to sell them!!! Not only online, which in itself is saturated, but there's a steady bombardment of magazine offers offline as well!

In a sentence: You need something that people want--but that every other site on the WWW doesn't already know that people want!

I doubt anyone will jump up and suggest a niche--at least, they won't if they want it to stay a niche! But here's some duds to avoid:

Books
    Magazines
    CDs
    Games
    Most software
    And anything else that doesn't take any thinking to come up with!

Some people have reported okay results promoting a specific book or mag, but as generalized categories the above are dogs for probably 99% of sites.

As for what's good, that's for you to discover...what's good for me may be a waste of your disk space anyway.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

^^ Thats about the most honest and relevant advice your going to get..

But please keep it going.
    To give up now makes everything else a worthless.

I just want to update everyone... the dissappointment didn't last. After leaving it alone for a bit I came back to the website and decided to refocus it around a mailing list and I have been very excited with the response. With a week of advertising the site I have recieve 130 newsletter subscriptions and intrest in the site. It helps that it is based around a very tight community, but just want to tell everyone... DON'T GIVE UP! Things will and do turn around.

Now the real problem....what to do with my next site... i was thinking focusing on kids magazines...but i've heard magazines in general are very competitive. I was also thinking of an image gallery for some type of niche... just not sure. Has anyone had any experience with these niches, and if not, any ideas ( haha...who am i kidding... once we get ideas none of us share!)

Just hang in there if your having a bad day!

Chad

HJ,

Listen to what the folks here are telling you! They know what it takes to be in the game. My suggestion to you is read read read everything you can about the business. Success surely doesn't happen over night!

I put up a one page niche site 2 months ago with a catchy domain name and I'm seeing an excellent sale rate (no PPC). The commissions are only a few bucks per sale but it adds up. The best thing is I don't have to mess with the site at all. I could use a few more sites like it

Anyway, you just have to keep trying. Listen to the people here...they know!

Good Luck
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

ABW Ambassador
    I've been doing this for a little over a year, so I'm not quite new, but I'm not where many others on this forum are yet. I've felt so discouraged many times, but just tough it out. Like you said, you just toughed it out a little longer and finally something happened. I've seen that happen numerous times for myself.

Also, about the hosting fees. Maybe you can check into another host that is running some sort of deal where you can get free months or a discounted rate for a certain amount of time. I had gotten 3 years of free hosting and I just recently upgraded my package when a deal came around.

Also, there is a lot of information about finding niches throughout this forum. Just keep reading. People seem to have different techniques and won't just spill out all of the information at once, but you can piece it together. I guess it allows people to learn, but makes it tough for those who don't tough it out.

So yeah, hang in there and find areas with items that a lot of people search for that don't have a lot of competition. And make sure it's something that people will actually buy (which can be hard to rate sometimes).

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread