What is an incentive site please?
    Re: this setting in my SaS control panel.
    Accept Incentive Sites? (If NO is checked, any site that is registered as an incentive site will be rejected. Note: This does NOT guarantee that any given site is not using incentives, only that they have stated that they do not on their application.)

Should I have it enabled and why? Does this have anything to do with parasites? I don't really understand exactly what parasites or incentive sites are?

Thanks for the help.

Malcolm
    www.ampalian.com

Malcolm,

Here's a good article on insentive sites.

Geno
    Russian Gifts Online

Thanks Geno, Now I understand. So what is a parasite please?

and as a merchant how can I ensure that my program is and remains parasite free?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There are others who can give more details and examples, but in general:

A parasite is a software (for instance, 180 Solutions' software), that pops up and interferes with the proper affiliate getting credit for referred sales. They work in various ways, ranging from popping up advertising (advertising aimed at getting the customer to click *their* pay link) without permission on either the referring affiliate's site or the merchant site, to blatantly overwriting the referring code (with or without a popup), and other variations on this theme.

This is not just a 180 Solutions thing. There are MANY purveyors of this junk!

Often the software is installed without the users' permission, or with flimsy permission such as having the consent buried in the legalese of a license for some other supposedly "free" download.

Check out the Parasiteware forums here for more info. Also I'm sure others will chime in with more specifics and ideas on how to root out parasites from your program.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

"It's difficult to overestimate how big an issue parasite software (otherwise known as adware, spyware, malware, etc.) has become on the Internet. An unprotected computer used by a novice runs the risk of being infected mere minutes after a broadband connection to the Internet is formed. Sources of these pests include malicious web sites and email, software smuggled into your system alongside other 'free' programs and Trojan viruses opening portals to the Internet from within your PC..." (see the rest HERE)

Good luck learning, Malcolm!

Best regards,

Geno

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    and as a merchant how can I ensure that my program is and remains parasite free?
    Ampalian,

ShareASale does not allow affiliates into the network who utilize software, specifically desktop software, in order to deliver clicks. These software vendors are the most common forms of what is termed "parasiteware" here at ABW... So - that is one less worry for you.

In terms of other types of "bad" affiliates.... make sure to keep a close monitor on your top performers... check to see for large jumps in clicks, transactions, etc... Check for conversion rates that are way outside the norm for your program (either too high, or too low) - and if you have any questions about a specific affiliate - just send us an email and we'll check them out....
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I learn't more from that one post than often 10 others. Thanks for that. I understand more now.

You are more than welcome, Malcolm! We are all glad to help...

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread