So I've added a store to my site about 3 weeks ago using a data feed. My question is... when I put up new pages or a new site, I notice bots crawling it soon after and within a couple weeks I at least some of them will come up in the SE's. With this store (datafeed) however, I have yet to see the bots crawling it nor does it show up when I search for it. I have several links to the store on my site that has a PR of 4 so I know the bots should see it. I'm using .php if that matters. Will the SE's be able to pick out everyone of my more than 3000 pages eventually? Will people be able to find an actual product page just by searching for that product? I hope I'm making sense. Thanks for your input.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hope I'm making sense. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, it's plain English to me!

First, if this is on a new domain, it may be a "contaminated" domain. That is, one that had been banned under its previous owner.

I hate to give such a drastic possibility as the first-off response, but the only time I've had robots avoiding my new sites like a plague, despite having links to it, is when I've accidentally bought doms that had been banned due to some former owner's activity (for instance, putting one of those "parked-page" Searchfeed spam pages up).

I always buy my domains at the registrar, but some of those domains are available again for a *reason.* Now I check the Wayback Machine before buying ANY domains!

IF the domain comes up "clean"--no ultra-spammy pages from the last guy, showing in the Wayback Machine--it's much easier, and the answers are shorter!

&gt;&gt;Will it get your 3000 pages eventually?

YES.

&gt;&gt;Will people be able to find an actual product page just by searching for that product?

THAT DEPENDS on how much competition you have, how you optimized the page, AND on whether Google and Yahoo are using some screwball algo that doesn't recognize the fact that when people type, Brown & Purple Widgets, they don't want to have to use quotes to see pages that use that as the title--or if they use an algo that's based on common sense!!!

&gt;&gt; I have several links to the store on my site that has a PR of 4

Getting a feed site to rank isn't usually the straightforward "couple 'o link exchanges" that it used to be. Unless you're lucky enough to find a category with hardly any competition, which is very rare with a feed-enabled merchant.

Also it takes quite a while to get most feeds into the engines, at least it does for me. Be patient and persistant. It's a waiting game.

Sometimes it takes a good 2x or 3x the links to get a feed site going lately. Also there's a few techniques that maximize the link "power." For those techniques, I'll leave you to the SEO forums--after all, you might be trying to sell the same stuff I am, so I have to leave *some* figuring for you to do
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader,

Are you saying it is harder to get a feed site to rank than another type of a site? I have been experimenting and I feel the feeds may be easier. Now, the keywords that bring up my pages are lengthy matches to the keywords in the feed. But I think they were easy to get rank for. After the thread about poop slinging I decided to give it a try. Seems those are the only pages I can get to rank. I figure it out someday, it is quite hard trying to figure AM out while while working full time. Do you happen to offer consulting services....

"Are you saying it is harder to get a feed site to rank than another type of a site?"

I don't think Leader is saying that at all. I think she is saying that it is harder to get a feed site in nowadays than it used to be.

Lastly, what Leader says is exactly what I have found.

Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are you saying it is harder to get a feed site to rank than another type of a site? I have been experimenting and I feel the feeds may be easier. ~Dak142 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've found some to be easier and some to be harder. It used to ALWAYS be easier, but that hasn't been the case lately. Now it has taken more "prodding" to get the SEs to start spidering. Once they do start, it seems to normalize.

And when the merchant has everyone on A Best Web in their program, then I find it to be harder, because that means there are sometimes thousands of sites trying to rank for the same exact thing. I have returned to looking for merchants with less exposure--who needs to jostle through a crowd??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you've optimized you pages correctly, I would expect the majority of your hits to come from very granular searches such as searches for specific products. 'Panasonic KVM-10022 DVD Player' etc. ~Webdango <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, exactly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't think SE's can't distinguish between a datafeed page and a regular page - it's all code to them ~Webdango <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's really that it's a "feed page." It's that there's sometimes thousands of other pages out there with the exact same content. It seems to take more original text lately (as a percentage of the total text on the page), to avoid the dup content filters.

The index page (the one that leads to all the feed pages) is one of the hardest to customize enough, IMO. So I've found that it takes a bit of convincing (more links) to get G-bot to spider it. Once the index is spidered, then things get moving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't think Leader is saying that at all. I think she is saying that it is harder to get a feed site in nowadays than it used to be.
    ~Buy Online <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, brevity! One thing I've always lacked. Too bad I only saw your post *after* I posted my response just prior to this one.

But yeah. It's more w*rk to get them IN. Once they do get in, they can rank highly, if the optimization is better than all the competing ones that are in.

I wouldn't stop making feed sites yet, but the "lead time" to getting them indexed has been extended.

Thanks for all your insight! I created my store as a subdomain of my site that I have had for almost a year so I dont think there is a problem with the domain. Thanks for the heads up though Leader. I guess I had better get to linking some quality sites with my store...I dont quite know why I didn't think of that. Thats what I have you guys for I guess. Thanks for that!
    I think I'm just being a little impatient due to the fact that I just saw 2 sales go through on my store so I'm pleased. Now if I can just get it indexed!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread