Just ran across this datafeed thing and its exactly what I need. The one tutorial I've found so far deals with creating a bunch of html files and using them to create a datafeed site. Not my first choice to solving this problem. I'm wondering if someone could point me to some examples for grabbing the datafeed whether its a flat file or xml to generate the pages on the fly. My primary language of choice is ASP.Net with Vb.Net as the code behind with SQL Server as my datastore, but I can get along in Perl, PHP, Java, or whatever others have done before me. I could consume an XML file right now with my web site, but would like some examples of using either format. I'm just curious how others have tackled this before I decide which way to go.

Thanks Bruce

What do you mean by examples?

All you do is call the fields you wish to display, sort the results and place it in a good looking html template. As far as which way to go only depends on what you are more comfortable with. If you know how to do it in all of those languages like you said than just pick the one you like best. After a while you'll tweak the heck out of it until it's perfect. That will last about two weeks until you come up with more ideas to make it better. Keep in mind to use search engine friendly urls and user friendly navigation.

I think he means "examples" as in sample scripts. I know that's what I'm trying to find right now. All I have been able to locate are PHP scripts or examples that pull from an XML file on the same server.

I am looking for samples of ASP pulling XML from the merchant's server and displaying it.

Scripts
    Do you have any examples to share?
    I am just now wanting to learn the xml stuff.

Can I ask which is better - using CSV with webmerge or using the php and .xml
    I am on a linux server.

Your help is great apprecatied!

Claudia

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You're not limited to those two...many feeds are available as tab-delimited, pipe-delimited, etc. XML, however, is an uncommon format for merchant feeds, at least in my experience.

So I'd say to use the non-xml choice simply because you'll have a wider variety of feeds to choose from, no matter which tool or language you end up processing it with.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I normally use any format apart from XML. With the tab delimited, pipe delimited, etc feeds you can use scripts which can automatically do the work for you. For example, you can use php scripts to sort and pull out the columns that you need from the csv/txt files and then the script can also upload it straight to your database.

I couldn't really find any scripts to do these sort of activities. So I then write my own.

Woodstock, IL. But originally a Vegas Native.
    Question Any Help would Be Awesome!
    Dear God.........can anyone help me? I have access to XML Feed with a company I am affiliated with. However, I have NO idea how to place it on my website. I have the codes, ect.....Is there anybody that knows how to place it, or can walk me thru the process?

If you signup for Amazon's XML feeds (their Web Services) they provide you with a few reasonable examples in each language.

For asp.net (my language of choice) you can use similar to the following (this pulls an rss feed - which is xml formatted):

Try

Dim ResultsDoc As System.Xml.XmlDocument = New System.Xml.XmlDocument
    Dim myRequest As System.Net.WebRequest = System.Net.WebRequest.Create("http://www.daypop.com/search?q=" & KeyWords & "&s=1&c=10&ext=true&ln=en&t=w&o=rss")
    Dim myResponse As System.Net.WebResponse = myRequest.GetResponse()
    Dim myReader As System.Xml.XmlTextReader = New System.Xml.XmlTextReader(myResponse.GetResponseStream())

ResultsDoc.Load(myReader)

Dim xNodelist As System.xml.XmlNodeList = ResultsDoc.SelectNodes("rss/channel/item")
    Dim xNode As XmlNode

For Each xNode In xNodelist

' do processing here - use xNode("fieldname").InnerText for data

Next

Catch

' something went wrong

End Try

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Heyder
    What do you mean by examples?

All you do is call the fields you wish to display, sort the results and place it in a good looking html template. As far as which way to go only depends on what you are more comfortable with. If you know how to do it in all of those languages like you said than just pick the one you like best. After a while you'll tweak the heck out of it until it's perfect. That will last about two weeks until you come up with more ideas to make it better. Keep in mind to use search engine friendly urls and user friendly navigation.
    How do you make calls to display the fields?

Where did you find this example? Thanks

No time for forums (fori? forae?) RiverStyx's Avatar
    In my experience...
    The best thing you could do is invest the time in studying MySQL and PHP (or the scripting language of your choice). Learning these will save you so much time in the long run. If you can't wrap your brain around PHP then try something like Smarty (templating engine) as a shortcut. Once you get a handle on how this stuff works it won't matter what format your feeds are supplied in or how you call the data out -- you'll be able to work with any format. My two cents' worth. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

RS

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread