Damn I'm confused!
    Damn Iím confused! Someone needs to set me straight.

I noticed SAS merchant Entirely Pets is on the iGive merchant list so I wrote SAS and asked about this affiliation. SAS responded:
    iGive is not an Affiliate with ShareASale.com or with the Entirely Pets program run on the ShareASale.com network. It is possible that iGive is participating in a different program with Entirely Pets.

Okay, Entirely Pets is a member of CJ too. So whatís the difference, same website?
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

The difference is that iGive is not an affiliate through SAS. SAS can't police what the merchants do on other networks. It would be nice if they could, but that would be like a network telling you how to run your business too.

My hat goes off to Brian for remaining a parasite free network.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    iGive has signed up for Entirely Pets through CJ, making it a CJ/iGive/EP affiliation.

Like Chris said, that puts the iGive affiliation out of SAS' jurisdiction.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    True indeed... it would appear the EP (Entirely Pets) has a secondary program running on Commission Junction. The iGive relationship (I would imagine) is run through CJ, as it could not be run through ShareASale due to our policies.

The result of this is that your commissions are safer when running through the ShareASale network as they can't be touched by iGive's application.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin Man
    Damn Iím confused! Someone needs to set me straight.

I noticed SAS merchant Entirely Pets is on the iGive merchant list so I wrote SAS and asked about this affiliation. SAS responded:
    iGive is not an Affiliate with ShareASale.com or with the Entirely Pets program run on the ShareASale.com network. It is possible that iGive is participating in a different program with Entirely Pets.

Okay, Entirely Pets is a member of CJ too. So whatís the difference, same website?
    Damn, Damn, Damn,

Travelin Man, if you're a Travelin Man and are confused about that, don't feel to bad. I like too Travel in Time, so I was more confused than you about that too.

But at the end I figured it out, and this thread: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=54338
    helped me again confirm some of my doubts that I had about this business.

Not even Gold can be 100% pure Gold, it doesn't exist on this planet.

Sal.

Thanks everyone for your explanations. I understand now...it's what network iGive collects their money from that matters here. I'll reserve the right not to promote EP anyway. As far as I'm concerned there is no grey area when it comes to the merchants I promote.

Thanks again!
    On another note I dumped 5 CJ merchants today for their association with iGive. What's in your wallet?

Cheers,
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

I'll reserve the right not to promote EP anyway. As far as I'm concerned there is no grey area when it comes to the merchants I promote.
    With TopMoxie applications, it used to be that if you typed-in, went back through a bookmark, or clicked through an organic search result, your cookie would be overwritten. The trigger was the website URL (in this case EP's), not the network link.

If this remains the case, or becomes the case again, we will always need to judge a merchant by the affiliates they keep and not by the network they use.

Sigh, must sacrifice a machine to testing again...

Just to clarify as an FYI - iGive cannot overwrite a ShareASale cookie.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

But, with them being in the CJ program, they don't have to. All they need to do is detect your SAS link and redirect through CJ. Correct?
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

I like this comment by Mr. Sal:

As long as we have even one link on our sites that goes to a merchant that use a parasite on another network that we have never joined, as long as a merchant have an affiliate in their program that have links on their affiliates sites to even one merchant that works with parasites anywhere else, we're all "accomplice" after the fact, whether we like it or not. This thread: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=54338&page=2

It says exactly how I feel. I don't care what network the merchant is in, if they sleep with a dirty dog then they have fleas. EP clean up your dirty dog and I'll consider rejoining your program.
    Travelin' Man

Just to clarify as an FYI - iGive cannot overwrite a ShareASale cookie.
    Sorry, I made it sound that way. I realize that none of the parasites can overwrite the SAS cookie, since they cannot operate on the SAS system.
    However, if they redirect on a type in/bookmark/organic search link through their CJ/LS/other link, then the last cookie in is the other network's? And then the sale is gone, even if that bookmark was made after clicking through an SAS link?

I realize this needs actual testing and I'm conjecturing a bit here. It's just that this thread made me realize that IF a merchant has parasites, it has parasites. While I have not gone back over older sites to pick out the fleas, when making new pages and sites I am trying to be far more vigilant about cleanliness of a merchant. I have not normally checked my SAS merchants on a certain site for being a clean merchant. However, given that some of my SAS merchants also operate a program at CJ, I may miss some infestation by not checking. I have made it a policy to log in to SAS first when looking for new merchants/products to support the anti-parasite stance. I'm just thinking I still have to run the merchant name to find out whether they are a clean merchant!

no worries webmarm - it is a confusing issue!

I just try to clarify where i feel points are perhaps cloudy.

in the case that you describe above, the sale would STILL RECORD on ShareASale... there would be a duplicate on the alternate network, true, but there would be a sale recorded for you. we have had very very little trouble with merchants having duplicate transactions (one on our network, one on another) - and if it happened and they requested a review of the transaction we could discuss just this scenario, etc...

if my reply makes no sense, it is because my brain is pretty full dealing with the other issue of the day, but i hope this clears up a little bit of your concern.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

You could get two commissions if they had your SAS cookie and a CJ cookie from you? Like maybe they clicked through on two different sites you have at some point?

That sounds like an interesting concept to me.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread