Things I like and don't like about the new board.
    All can feel free to add your like or dislike about the new board on this thread, but before anyone criticize my only five things I don't like, just make sure you read my note, so there would be no misunderstanding. (Wow, that word "misunderstanding" is too big for my bad English, 16 characters long.)

Note: I'm not complaining, I am not making a suggestion, I am not making a request, I am not making a rant, I am not asking for any modification, I don't see dead people, I don't believe in ghost, I don't like flash, I am not to sure about ufo's, I indeed would like to have a time machine, I don't see why you're still reading this note, instead of reading the list.

So far, these are the only five things I don't like, but they're not a big deal anyway.

1) The extra click on the ActiveX prompt on 95% of the forums. (I hate it but, I can live with it.)
    2) The 15 minutes time limit on the edit button. (Only because not enough time to fix a typo.)
    3) The missing delete button. (In case we make a bad post, nobody is perfect.)
    4) The time and date of last post, on the Forum Names Heading. (Just to avoid some scrolling.)
    5) The missing original date of Member Registered: On D/M/Y. (Just to remember when we joined ABW.)

Here, are only a few of all the new stuff I like about the new board. There are too many more good features that I have not listed, so I don't get carried away with a long post.

1) The faster speed with the better design of the board.
    2) The minimum post required for some features. (Very good way to avoid some spam.)
    3) The New Posts, feature. (For when we're short on time to browse the entire board for new posts.)
    4) The fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor.
    5) The nice features on the new, User Control Panel.
    6) The new PM alert box. (So there is no need to open a new thread just to say: Hey You, I PM You.)
    7) The display of the thread content when we do a mouse over the link. (Nice way to preview before clicking.)
    8) The new You are subscribed to this thread, graphic. (A faster way to find our replies to posts.)
    9) The offline, online snitch button. (That way we can make some decisions on when to reply to a post.)
    10) The Quick Reply box at the bottom of the thread. (For when the need arises.)
    11) The new size of 64x64 avatars. (To see how good the females look and how ugly the rest of us are.)
    12) The calendar. (So we can all see how many old people are in affiliate marketing.)
    --------------------

(Just in case anyone ask.) Yes, it's almost three o'clock in the morning here, on a slow Tuesday, so I had nothing better to do with my time, than to make this post.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    1) The extra click on the ActiveX prompt on 95% of the forums. (I hate it but, I can live with it.)
    2) The 15 minutes time limit on the edit button. (Only because not enough time to fix a typo.)
    3) The missing delete button. (In case we make a bad post, nobody is perfect.)
    4) The time and date of last post, on the Forum Names Heading. (Just to avoid some scrolling.)
    5) The missing original date of Member Registered: On D/M/Y. (Just to remember when we joined ABW.).
    Sal,

I realize all the disclaimers but wanted to comment ...

1) It's the logo, it's in flash - I'll have it converted to an ani ... I just really liked it like that but it to save the click, I'll kill it.
    2) Suggest a different time frame ... 60 minutes? Can be done, np.
    3) The delete button - you delete from within the edit screen ... so you click edit and then see the delete option.
    4) I don't understand, can you show me an example of showing that you have to scroll?
    5) Working on that as it bothers me also but it's not on the top of the priority list.

One thing I don't like is that there isn't a "New Topic" throughout - gonna fix that also.

Anyone else have any gripes or requests about the board software?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

One thing that still bugs me is a lot is still being centered instead of left-justified.

- Thread listings when you go into a forum
    - Main PM page (listing the PMs you have)
    - The text in the PMs themselves.

Everything else looks great and I am so happy that the move to vBulletin was made.

15 years and counting
    There's not much to add, just at the top of this board, the white line going thru Affiliate Marketing Forum is broken at the level of the banner. The size of the place holder or banner must be off by one pixel.
    "2) Suggest a different time frame ... 60 minutes?"
    60 minutes would be much better.
    Anyway, great move.

4) I don't understand, can you show me an example of showing that you have to scroll?
    On the old board there was the:
    Forum Names Heading .......... Last Post D/M/Y ....... ^^

Like on the new board: http://forum.abestweb.com/

Forum .......... Last .......... Post .......... Threads .......... Posts
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    News and Events ----------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    ---
    ---
    News and Events ----------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Affiliate Lounge ------------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Linkshare® ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Commission Junction ® -----------------------------------------------------
    ---
    ---
    ---
    Shareasale ® --------------------------------------------------------------
    ---
    ---
    etc.
    -----------------------------------

When we want to collapse the size of a forum, we just have to click on the collapse icon and all of the topics on that forum are hidden from view, that way the more forums we collapse, the smaller the page gets to scroll down.

On the other board, when we had a forum collapsed, we where able to see the date and time of the last post on that collapsed forum, because it was displayed on the same line as the collapsed forum name, with the time of the last post in there, we were able to decide if we wanted to open that forum to read it or not.

Now I need to explain something.

1 - I only posted all this details because Haiko ask me for an example of showing what I have to scroll, so I tried my best way to explain with out using a screen shot.

2 - While I indeed try to read all the forums most of the times, some times I just want to read only the forums that I am interested in only. For example, if I want to skip the News and Events and the Linkshare forums and only have the Affiliate Lounge, and the Commission Junction forums open, I would collapse the others on the top, just to keep up with new posts on the cafe and CJ only. Before, we where able to see the time of the last post on a collapsed forum, but now we only see the name of the collapsed forum and the to open/close the forum.

3 - I hope all that explanation make sense, if not, disregard it from memory

Haiko, thanks a lot for reading this post and for trying to look after those miscellaneous things, especially the flash.

Sal.

Yep, a 60 minute edit would be much better.

Thanks!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

How about a dropdown to the right of Post Reply that lists all the forums. I find it a bit of a pain to jump around from forum to forum. I need to load the index page and that takes an extra hit to the server that I'd rather avoid.

I love the quick reply, but it's missing a preview button. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm doing the smiley right so I'd like to preview my post first.

That's all I can think of for now, great new board!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Sal,

That would be a Hack, it'll add it to the list.

----------
    Edit time is now 60 minutes
    ----------

Scott,

To preiview a quick reply click the go advanced button, there will be your priview.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Thank you Haiko.

Take your time, those things are not top priority.

Sal.

http and a telephoto
    I'm not sure how long "New Posts" stay new, but I have been browsing new posts and go back to page 1 and *POOF* no matches. So I know I am missing stuff. I don't have time or inclination (must be the word of the day) to go through all of the forums and find the new posts. And if I accidentally leave a window open at ABW all night, *POOF* I get no new posts at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Loxly,

1 hour is the current durration, if it's extended it may cause a misreporting of who's online - Thoughts?

One way to avoid the zero matches is to mark forums read (Thread Tools Drop Down).
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    One thing that still bugs me is a lot is still being centered instead of left-justified.
    That's my main gripe, if I were to have one. I mentioned that right after the switch, but I know that was definitely not anywhere on Haiko's priority list of things to do, so I let it ride.

But Forum view (thread titles and such) should be justified left. All the PM stuff, previewing your post, etc. All that should be as well. I'm sure there's a few other things.

Whenever. Nothing critical.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Biggest problem for me is that all the links to old pages at infopop are now broken. I have tons of links from my site to old ABW threads -- they're the authoritative references for 180's (false) statements of its practices, some cookie-stuffing issues, and so much more.

Note that my site is hardly the only site that links to ABW threads of interest. Then, biggest problem of all, there are all the ABW threads that link to other threads (and other specific posts) -- all such links broken, I believe, unless I'm missing something.

Since we probably can't change the content at infopop, it seems like the most promising approach is some kind of rewriting rule. Could there be a http://forum.abestweb.com/legacy.php?... that would take as its URL parameters an old Infopop URL, and find the current thread? Anyone linking to ABW could then change those links to first reference the new rewriting script. But at least there would be no need to use the manual search feature to find the specific article that was the destination of the old link.

I would rather the "New Posts" be "Unread Posts."

I like the way you can hold the mouse over the thread title and see what's in it before you click. But I would like it to also display the date the first post was made, so we can see if it's old news or one that has just recently been started.

Other than that - I'm happy. Thank you, Haiko.

Ben,

The broken links within abw to other threads within ABW far out weigh and number any external links and while that bothers me, I was not going to put up with having ABW on infopop anymore! That being said I have negotiated with poop that I can host what ever script or .htacess file over there to redirect to the appropriate thread here but I have yet to find a programmer to match up the database of 400,000 threads nor know if I have the budget for such script or file - anyone what to give me a quote or recommend a programmer to do this?

======================

Anyone else second or third the nomenclature change to "Unread Posts"? - That's a 2 second thing.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Haiko,

The "new posts" seem to disappear from the list after a while, even though I have not opened and read some of them, so a list of "unread" posts would be handy. That way I won't miss anything. But it's certainly not a big problem, though, since we can simply go back to the main page and see those marked with "" there.

But thanks for considering it.

Note: Milestone reached - 50th post (but still a newbie asking newbie questions and making newbie suggestions ).

Deb,

What your describing is the same that Loxly asked and I answered in http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=11 and I saw that I missed your other suggestion of date of first post ... I'll look into it.

---------------

Ben,

Got the email, and will check to see.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread