The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Any Ideas? Way more then just a GoogleDance Boost
    When I log onto an Indie's stats page, it always says the same thing:

Click-thrus: 200
    Sales: 10
    Commission: Some money
    Referral Link: Billy'sWebsitedotcom

Two weeks ago, the click thrus and sales soared. And all the referrals were from Msn or MSN beta - which I assumed was due to the new MSN search indexing my site.

Starting about 3 days ago, the click thrus are at about 300 an HOUR, and the sales are... welll... just quadruple your best Chrismas season day! And all the referrals are googlesearch (they just danced)

Question is: All the hits/sales are coming strait from search engine links - not my website.

How is this possible?

My ONLY guess is that people are using PPC and somehow MY affiliate ID is getting the sale. Is that possible?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I had one of those inexplicable things happen last January. Suddenly a merchant who I don't promote heavily and rarely have a sale with started pumping out sales like mad. It lasted a few weeks and then stopped as abrumptly as it began. I had no clue where the shoppers were coming from though.

Sometimes you just get a little gift for no obvious reason. Enjoy! Unless of course they're *my* sales, in which case...hand 'em over! :P

I posted a while back about a quarter million dollar mistake - but I contacted the merchant BEFORE I was paid.

I'm just afraid I'm gonna' make a LOT of money and then get an email from the merchant saying it was all a mistake and they want it back.

DAK

I SEARCHED for an MSN thread last week - and didn't see any.

That must be the answer. I would PREFER them actually going to my site first, but either way, I'll take it. Thanks!

Billy

Internet Cowboy
    Billy,
    Three things to say about your situation.

1. sssshhhhhhh

2. sssssssshhhhhh

3. Can I borrow 20 bux? j/k

Had a few more thoughts on this:

1) I have a couple indie merchants who record each visitor with my cookie as a visit for me, even if it is a return visit a week later. I can tell because they show the referring URL and it is often Google, or even a direct type in. But because my the cookie was set when they first went to the merchant from one of my links, I see the follow-on activity and of course the eventual sales.
    What can happen (and has happened to me) is that when Google dances and the merchant goes to the top of the search results, a bunch of my prior referrals suddenly show up at the merchant site and decide to take the plunge and make a purchase. So, even though my traffic has not changed, I suddenly get lots of sales recorded. This is the way it is supposed to work - they finally made the purchase because they remember what I told them about the site a week before - but it wasn't until they were re-reminded by their google search that they actually returned and completed the sale. I still get the credit because that's the way the cookie-based sale concept is supposed to work.

2) Some of the search engines are trying to mimic Google's link-weighting algo, and use the HTML tag text in their weighting. It is possible that instead of putting the raw URL for a merchant's product page in their search databases (www.merchant.com/catalog.htm?product=abc), they are putting in the link url that they find the most often in their database (http://www.merchant.com/catalog.htm?...=affiliatecode) which they pikc up from your site. They do this because so many web sites have CMS's with multiple variable URL's, and search engine can't determine that www.merchant.com/catalog.htm?product=abc and http://www.merchant.com/catalog.htm?...=affiliatecode are actually the same page. This would be especially true for merchants that do not redirect or change the URL as the visitor arrives at their site (such as CJ, ibill, etc do). Who is most likely to have an unsophisticated page landing system that does not change urls? An Indie program of course.

Case 1 is totally fair - that's why cookie life is important.

Case 2 is borderline. Some say it is totally unfair because the visitor never even saw your site, never saw your recomendation, and you didn't even pay for the placement. On the other hand, the URL only showed up in the search engine because you were linking to the merchant and wrote a good HTML tag that matched the user's search criteria. If you didn't create the link on your site in the first place, the merchant's entry wouldn't even have shown up in the search results, or would be much lower in ranking, and would not have made the sale at all. So in that respect you are responsible for the sale, if only somewhat indirectly.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Last year I had a huge surge of sales for a particular product, but it wasn't being reflected in my on-site traffic.

After a huge amount of digging around, I found that what had happened is that a third party had posted an image from my site onto a forum... leaving the affiliate link intact. As a result, a huge number of people went off and bought the thing. Sweet.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread