I've set up mysql with an id row that auto increments. I use this as my primary index because it's the fastest way to positively identify the product while doing queries on the database.

My problem is that when I go to replace the data, the search engines still remember the old numbers and their associated product. example: id # 34959405 = a luxury pair of earrings but when I replace the data with new that number = a pair of socks or whatever and google remembers it as earrings.

I could dump using the id field but I really prefer it because it makes for better searches and short query strings.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Not sure if this solves your problem but I use the SKU or Product ID as my primary index so my product page name stays the same, prod_detail1234.php. My merchants are different directories so the SKU number/pages don't overlap.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Why not always use a new id?

Chet

I assign an ID field as well, although I use Sql Server.
    What I do is update the product_id as long as it is in stock then, if it's no longer in stock, I change it's status to a "no longer in stock/no longer available" page, and I remove all the product info. After a set period of time, if the product doesn't reappear (based on merchant and sku) I set it up to do a permanent redirect to the category page on my site that the product belongs to.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xandman:
    Not sure if this solves your problem but I use the SKU or Product ID as my primary index so my product page name stays the same, prod_detail1234.php. My merchants are different directories so the SKU number/pages don't overlap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had been using the sku in the past but with this database I have multiple merchants all lumped together and often more than one will have the same sku number. Not only that but many of them don't assigne one at all so I gave up on that and started using the id's that I use now.

Another possibility is to have both the merchant id and the sku as keys.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I use an identifying SKU

Example:
    Overstock: O-12567

If the feed does not supply the SKU, I have it produce one for the product utilizing the incremental #'s

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread