Starting an Affiliate Program
    I am considering starting a new affiliate program for our website (I already have the capablity). We are doing a lot of radio advertising, and have started TV commercials this year.

What are the advantages of allowing affiliates to market our products?
    I don't want affiliates to do PPC or SEO on our trademarks. Is that easily manageable?
    What kind of affiliate marketers should I accept?
    I need to be able to show that affiliates are earning their commissions and not just leaching away traffic we were already getting. How do I do that?
    Are there any other forums that you could direct me to that might be able to answer some of my questions (or can I get them all answered here?)?
    Thanks a bunch for your help!

Greg

Affiliate Manager
    What are the advantages of allowing affiliates to market our products?
    Just think of it as having a team of sales reps helping you sell your products on a commission basis.

I don't want affiliates to do PPC or SEO on our trademarks. Is that easily manageable?
    Might be easy to manage for your own affiliates... but if you have a competitor it might be a little more work because of them bidding on your trademark to gain more attention to their products. Alot of the PPCSE's are cracking down on this though. But all this can happen whether you have an affiliate program or not. However, SEO is a different story. If you don't want your affiliates to do SEO on your product names then you will be running into some problems.

What kind of affiliate marketers should I accept?
    That is up to you. You will have to recruit affiliates and support them. The more effort you put in affiliate support the better affiliates you will have.

I need to be able to show that affiliates are earning their commissions and not just leaching away traffic we were already getting. How do I do that?
    Not sure what you mean... if the customer goes directly to your site and buys no affiliate will earn a commission.

Are there any other forums that you could direct me to that might be able to answer some of my questions (or can I get them all answered here?)?
    Yes, this is the only one you need

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Launch and run your program on one premise.... protecting your site's conversion ratio. Put creatives like the PSC and creatives with high conversion landing pages into the hands of value-added affiliates. They (affiliates) should all equal or better your average conversion ratio on general advertising traffic. If they don't, then you've open up pandoras box to a slew of affiliate tricksters playing mass eyeball games. Those normally are "incent" trafficers push anything from phoney coupons to get paid to surf junk traffic and/or BHO's.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote:

As a professional affiliate, I think these two counts of anti-affiliate thinking would keep many from joining your program to market your products. How do you expect your affiliates to promote your business, email only?

Try this on for kicks: Instead of your affiliate program marketing your current products, start a newsletter about your products, and pay affiliates to get double opt in sign ups.

Quote:

Newsletter sales could have their own landing pages making tracking easy.

Ray

ABW Ambassador
    >I don't want affiliates to do

Not a good 1st post at ABW
    Start over and people will help you......

Thanks for the quick responses. I wanted to clarify a few things:
    "just leaching away traffic" - I am already showing very well for all of my trademarked keywords. I would want affiliates to show up in places that the company web site is not very well placed at. Such as numerous generic keywords. But, I am not aware of any way to quantitatively monitor that except ask affiliates for traffic logs and personally, I would be offended if someone asked me for my logs.
    I really want to run an affiliate program that has affiates just putting banners on their sites and using their newsletters to promote our products. Are there any other methods that I am not aware of?

I am not certain what PSC means ecomcity.

Thanks for the feedback Ray and Adam, maybe I should have said I want my affiliates to work for their commissions. The president of my company explained it to me this way: "We have enough people riding in the wagon…we need some to get out and pull".
    I have a lot of affiliate friends who just slap a couple of pages together that target trademarked words and move on to the next product. So really, what I need is a bunch of examples of how affiliates can do much more than that and reach customers that we are not reaching now.

I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks,
    Greg

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread