Increasing Pageviews increases Presell
    This doesn't really come up too often, so I thought I'd start a thread about page views. I think they're highly underrated and ignored. I myself have found myself neglecting to check my pageviews for some time. Recently I've been working very hard to keep the traffic I have because of the recent traffic shortages. In order to do this, I'm cleaning up every single little thing that might send a visitor elsewhere like empty categories, out of date information and incorrect prices. I'm confident now that I've cleaned every little hole I can. Looking at my page views is a clear indication that I'm doing something right. My traffic is only increasing slightly which is more or less the after effect of increased page views. My page views show a larger increase which is encouraging. I hope by keeping my visitors around longer, they may bookmark me or sign up to my newsletter. This way I can bring them back later on.

I'm sure many affiliates overlook this because the tendency is to be wasteful and take what you can get. In the past I'd get thousands of free visitors from Google and simply let them go to waste. Sure I'd get a few sales, but what did I really offer them to keep them coming back for more? Many affiliates are guilty of this and unless you can keep your page views increasing despite traffic hurdles, you need to start moving in that direction.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For sales sites: I disagree that more page views = good, for the simple reason that I think the person should be finding the appropriate pay link--and using it--on the first page that they hit. More PVs/visit is a sign that the person isn't finding what they want. It's like giving someone a road map; if they have to ask for directions twice, then the map isn't what it ought to be.

On the other hand, I think how long the person stays on a page is important. I've found that it's good if I can keep 'em at least 30 seconds. Less than that, and it seems that they simply aren't staying around long enough to even get TO the Pay Link, let alone use it! Too long, however, and it often shows something is wrong with the page, usually that it's either too long, or not clear enough. (It's been a long time since I've had a stats program that'd tell me how long a person stays on a page, but that's what I found about per-page "staying time" way back when.)

For content sites (that aren't trying to sell things), of course, the more PVs the merrier! Not only is it nice when people want to see more of what I've written, but PVs are the grease that makes CPM pay off. More PV = more impressions, after all. And, of course, for content they should be staying on each page long enough to read it through. Short view time for any site generally means that it's time for a change.

Index pages are the exception to the view-time rule, since people will tend to click the link to whatever they want as soon as they see it. If they're looking for something that starts with "A" they won't be staying on the index page for long...

I'm cleaning up every single little thing that might send a visitor elsewhere like empty categories,
    Empty categories do suck! How do they come up? I would think that it'd be easy to avoid that just by not generating a particular category page if the category isn't in the feed(s)...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I instruct my web clients to look at Page View Stats, landing/exit pages before getting concerned with total visitors. Those who average 5 PV's per visit do extremely well on overall conversions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

It probably depends on how they get to your site.

If they got there on a "screwgle" search for "widget XYZ123 size L color Green" then I want them at my merchant that has that one ASAP because they're price shopping and I want to give them a coupon and a clickthru opportunity before they go elsewhere.

If they're searching generally, then some reviews, info, and top deals are in order. They may not be ready to buy, but I want them to remember my site when they are.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Pageviews are important. While it is great to have the visitor find what they are looking for immediately. Pageviews show that the visitor values your site enough to give a good look.

Now what I look for are repeat visitors with multiple pageviews. Because if they come back they really like your site and they are using it to research products or stores. Usually this is where you get your true conversions and commissions from.

Will they use your site over and over as part of their usual shopping experience? If you answer yes, then you have a potential winner.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    For sales sites: I disagree that more page views = good, for the simple reason that I think the person should be finding the appropriate pay link--and using it--on the first page that they hit. More PVs/visit is a sign that the person isn't finding what they want. It's like giving someone a road map; if they have to ask for directions twice, then the map isn't what it ought to be.
    I get a lot of very general traffic where somebody doesn't know what they want. They know they want something, but they haven't made up their mind what. This is where the presell comes into play. I'm trying to give people a good shopping and browsing experience

Empty categories do suck! How do they come up? I would think that it'd be easy to avoid that just by not generating a particular category page if the category isn't in the feed(s)...
    It's actually a bit of a pain to deal with this. My first problem was getting multiple datafeeds into the same category structure. Once I tackled this I had to make sure products that go out of stock disappear from my site. This can leave empty categories. Categories sometimes change names, so the products get misplaced and this creates more empty categories. Over time you can get quite a few empty categories unless you've got a system in place to keep everything clean. Now I need to figure out a way to move products automatically when their category changes in the datafeed. Tricky stuff!!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I get a lot of very general traffic where somebody doesn't know what they want. They know they want something, but they haven't made up their mind what. This is where the presell comes into play. I'm trying to give people a good shopping and browsing experience
    I hardly get any of that kind of traffic to my sales sites (despite continous attempts to snag some general keys like "shopping"). So, if they browse my site--after landing on the page promoting Exactly What They Were Looking For--it usually means that the sale isn't going to happen. They weren't convinced/pitch didn't work! Worse yet is when it's a competitor, only there to snoop around. I've seen that a few times.

I do get some people coming to the content site (recipes) on general stuff, and they may look at a few before deciding. But if they come in on something specific they usually just grab it and go. I'd rather have more PVs on that site, but I guess when someone's hungry they just want to grab the recipe and start cooking!

As for the categorization problems, that sounds like a royal PITA...Yuck. Not for me...

I instruct my web clients to look at Page View Stats, landing/exit pages before getting concerned with total visitors. Those who average 5 PV's per visit do extremely well on overall conversions.~EcomCity
    Those are merchants. I would expect people to want to browse around--once they're in the actual store! But the store is where they're supposed to be doing it, not on my sites. What better place to browse and make an impulse buy than right in the store? Generally, the faster I can get 'em over to the merchant, the better my CR, provided I do have some presell to set the mood. I don't want the people losing all their buying excitement while they're still at my sites!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread