Affiliate Marketing Fuel
    I'd like to start a discussion about what fuels your desire to build websites. I know many of us are fueled by money, but I think there needs to be something more than this to succeed. I love to build, in fact it's in my blood. My father built the house I grew up in, my brother builds cars and I build websites. We all love to build and that's what got me started building websites. I love that I can continuously add to a web system and improve the inner workings. I love to gather statistics and see what changes I can make by tweaking my system. I feel a lot of pride in the systems I build and even when I'm not seeing a lot of progress in my online earnings, I still feel good when I finish a new feature. Even if the feature doesn't take off, I still work at it to improve it and make it even better. I love cleaning my database and ensuring the information is as valid and up to date as possible. Kinda funny coming from a guy who doesn't like to clean the house. I'd much rather spend my time cleaning up my PHP code, adding comments and making sure all the spacing is perfect. I think what I really love the most about building online is I can see the results of my work instantly. I like when people respond to my posts on ABW just as I like to see people submit reviews or comments or sign up to my newsletters. The response is what I enjoy and only on the internet can you get an immediate response to what you do. So tell me, what do you truely love about this and how can you continue to do it year after year?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I like creating web sites.. I made my first one about 10 years ago. There's a copy from 1997 on the Wayback machine here.

Creating web sites that earn money is even better!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    what do you truely love about this
    What I love the most changes at times. But currently:

I love what it's NOT (this part I always love!):

It's NOT empl*yment.
    It's NOT scheduled.
    It's NOT something with a boss.
    It's NOT paid per-hour.
    It DOESN'T have a time clock.
    It's NOT going to stop making money if I decide to NOT do anything for a while.

Then, there's the good parts about what it IS:

It IS like a video game.
    It's got crackable algos--like a video game! And sometimes they change--like a video game! That's part of the draw...it's what makes it *exciting!!!*
    It DOES have near-immediate feedback.
    If something bad happens, it IS as easy to "play again" as it is on a game. Just roll in another quarter (domain) and the game is ON!

It IS a ticket out of Frigi-gan.
    It IS a great way to avoid empl*ment and also avoid Cardboard Box Avenue.

I also like:
    That it lets me get my writing published, without having to worry about what publishing houses want.
    That I can use my writing skills.
    The ADVERTISING aspect. I've always loved ads!

Other good stuff:
    The THRILL of having an algo BOW DOWN! Like 1981 all over again...like making Galaga stop shooting! Better than dope. Euphoria! The Conquest of the Program!

A dream come true, custom made:

1) It's the Ultimate Video Game
    2) I get paid for playing it!
    3) I can SPEND my SCORE!

how can you continue to do it year after year?
    It's like, 20 degrees outside right now
    I HATE COLD
    I'm NOT in FL yet
    Empl*yment would never last
    And I've got a new algo to conquer!

That said, when I have enough money to retire and be well-off for the rest of my days, I CERTAINLY WILL immediately do just that.
    But "retirement" may include running some c*ntent sites, where I can yak all night in peace, without having to concern myself with making sure the other sites get updated.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Leader

I'm NOT in FL yet
    Hi, Leader

San Diego doesn't have hurricanes.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

It's definitely a creative outlet. I like building web sites and the software behind them. Getting paid to do it is just icing on the cake.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat

Hi, Leader

San Diego doesn't have hurricanes.
    Earthquakes instead? No thanks

Plus, FL seems more laid back, at least from what I read of California! Too much regulation...

Like Snib, I like to build stuff. When I realized that my home construction career would land me in the hospital I started building homes on paper (still do). Building websites is a similar creative process but I don't have to worry about a roof collapsing on someone. Yes there are risks but not life-threatening ones.

I agree with Leader about the joy of cracking algos. My first successes with SEO made me realize I can compete and eventually my site's income convinced my wife that I wasn't just playing on the 'puter. I still feel like I'm playing with it, but always learning something new. It's great going to w**k everyday - at home - answering only to myself.
    ~Ernie

mmm, San Diego is great. I may end up settling down there. Earthquakes aren't so bad, kinda fun sometimes. I haven't heard good things about the humidity in Florida, but I can't wait to visit Orlando for Disneyworld!
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

San Diego is one of my favorite places to visit, but I love living in Florida. :-)

I actually like the humidity, and it's not a big deal if you work at home and have your own swimming pool anyway. Living near the Gulf here, we have a few of the top 10 beaches in the USA close by. Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens all close to keep the kids happy. Lots of year-round outdoor recration. It's nice.
    Tim

Yes, Florida does indeed rock. I wish I could split my time evenly between South Florida and the Pacific Northwest.

In any case, I just love to create and build. Websites are a great outlet for that since there's always a way to improve them or learn something new for the next one.

ABW Ambassador
    I like putting data into a database and typing a bunch of cryptic code that pulls it out and organizes it on the web. I get a kick out of it.

ABW Ambassador
    When i first started i thought it was cool just to be able to say "I have a website" And then to start making money at and then to be able to do it for a living, that's motivating. Speaking of what fuels you and Florida. Just to be able to take a vacation when you want. I'll be going down to Orlando in 4 months to "house sit" while my parents take a vacation in Europe for 3 weeks. Will just hang out and relax by the pool, visit old friends, former coworkers, then come back and try to convince my gf to move down there It is damn hot down there. Something like almost 100 days out of the year over 90 F and very humid, you work up a sweat just going out to your car.

I used to love to build websites. Sadly the building part has become a chore - I would much rather tweak and add to existing sites rather than build from scratch. Now I enjoy the challenges and rewards. I like seeing my stats go up, and getting checks in the mail rocks. I can't believe that I actually get paid for this!

On the Florida topic - it is way overrated. I moved from Orlando last year. We lived there for 13 years and nothing in the world would convince me to move back. It is waaaay to hot. SC has a nice change of season. Not too hot, not too cold. Just right. And the people are genuine. Nothing like true southern hospitality!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

And the people are genuine.
    Hmm they seemed genuine where I went...more so than here actually LOL! But then I picked an "average-income" area. This area (MI) didn't used to be snooty either, but snoots have invaded over the last few years...

I would much rather tweak and add to existing sites rather than build from scratch.
    LOL that's just the opposite of me. I HATE maintenance/tweaking with a passion! I think that's part of the reason I've ended up with so many sites. I'd much rather just build a new one than mess with an old one. I like trying new ways of making sites--and doing it on new sites, but not trying to rejigger "legacy" systems that no longer rank, or just have outdated designs. Just thinking about changing all the old stuff blows my mind, and I doubt it'll ever happen with the exception of my biggest site (which I'm intending to rebuild as if it's a NEW site).

I hate tweaking and tweaking and tweaking... but I prefer to have something to build off of instead of from scratch. I guess I walk the middle there.

ABW Ambassador
    I love to build because it's such a creative process, and it's all based on my own vision. I'm sure that I would have even more fun if I had a coding background!

Ditto what Gr Sacc said. Love building pages and keep on tweaking them till I feel comfortable. So many ideas crawl through my head but lack of coding knowledge holds me back.

Got PHP, ASP, CSS books lying next to my PC for awhile now. Can read 100s of pages on the net but opening a book makes me
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I get motivated by 3 things;

1. When I find a merchant or product that makes me a lot of money from one of my sites, I like creating websites that promote the same merchant/product from every concevable angle.

2. I like reading 3 separate threads in ABW, combining something I learned from all 3 into one "hopefully" NEW idea - and then seeing if it works.

3. Any nice feedback I receive from visitors - since I don't ask for any - but even if they say they like something as simple as the color of a site, I get satisfaction know it was my decision to pick that colr.

I just finished hooking up a new data feed this morning & I keep showing it to my wife and tweaking little things with it. :-) So yeah, I like tweaking it but I also love synthesising ideas from all over and coming up with the concept and making it work (hopefully). And if it doesn't work, I probably still learned something new trying.
    Tim

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread