Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thumbs down Computer Geeks joins the BF fiascos
    Well the impressions and click totals are still way off at BeFree. I know Collectables Today has moved to the CJ platform from the BF platform as if that will improve conversion ratio. Automatically this means no sales will show up at BF during the transition as BF tracking cannot co-exist with other networks tracking cookies on certain shopping cart programs. I'm kicked out of TD, without cause of any kind, due to voicing my criticism of their BF faulty tracking and HITBox data mining spyware use.

Now I see ComputerGeeks is joining the BF merchants who don't answer e-mails or attend to their program's creatives. Their click totals are bent out of shape for even the most obvious reasons.....no banners displaying and I suspect the text links aren't setting cookies either. Seems some Geek Nerd changed the banner image URLs without checking they'd display the original image link code URL. (Bet they didn't notice drop in clicks and impressions as they sure have no clue on running a computer tech website) They sure know how to scrap e-amil addresses but fail on things like how to make a product database with instock items...LOL. (Worthless for even a Froogle upload by the merchant)

Next is their refusal to verify their clone of the TigerDirect static landing page of revolving updated product specials even sets a tracking cookie....
    http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click...fpage=geekmail is all over my site and 2 test purchases were delivered to my client with no reporting of sales to my account from this link.

None of these banner image links display ...but the landing pages show up when clicked. Right click on missing images to see the image path)

[img]http://www.computergeeks.com/affiliates/statlinks/category/buttons/CATBTNmay01_2.gif[img]

http://www.compgeeks.com/affiliates/...btnmay01_3.gif

plus all other banners displayed for the last year..... Watch them come forth in the typical lazy AM manner and belatedly announce they change the image path and could ALL affiliate redue their link coding rather then just re-establishing the missing URL directory and upload the missing banners. That would take all of 2 minutes!!!! BeFree must be the bonus network for ValueClick advertisiers seeking free traffic, a platform for running their BHO's and Super Affiliate "incent" programs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Mike,

I have the answer for you, clean up your site and only add products from my merchants, I'll be sure to cut you a check every month....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

I've a better one for you Andy. Contact The Geeks and take over the duties of Affiliate management from the clueless manager running it. They have the product and the price and as my test purchases show they deliver. They also pay on time when some sales sneak through the diversion and reporting gauntlet and actually show up at BF. LOL...they probably filter affiliates@geeks.com as spam.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I have to tell you Mike, I am staying away from low margin verticals going forward.

ARC wants to make more money while working smarter, not harder. The slim pickings in the vertical, plus the low margins means we put in the same amount of work and make less money. Similar to the affiliate perspective....

We are concentrating on year round, viable merchants with products that move well...

Notice how the stable has slowly been cleared to manage only verticals that move well and are consumed frequently....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Mike,

I have the answer for you, clean up your site and only add products from my merchants, I'll be sure to cut you a check every month....
    Hi, Andy

Mike is a computer guy. Your merchants, with the exception of 5 Dollar Software, would not be suitable for his web site.

RadarCat, WebMaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    I have to tell you Mike, I am staying away from low margin verticals going forward.
    Agreed. I have realized that and almost stayed away from tech retailers even though that's my core competency.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I am staying away from low margin verticals going forward.

ARC wants to make more money while working smarter, not harder. The slim pickings in the vertical, plus the low margins means we put in the same amount of work and make less money.
    I heard someone singing my song

No Cheapskate Merchants © Leader
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by RadarCat

Hi, Andy

Mike is a computer guy. Your merchants, with the exception of 5 Dollar Software, would not be suitable for his web site.

RadarCat, WebMaster
    Hi Radar,

I know Mike very well and know his site. We go wayyyyyy back

Mike has a unique site, like a Sunday visit to your local "swapmeet" where you can find all sorts of items. Thjats the attraction to his site, you never know what your going to find...

Plus the fact that he is independently wealthy means he doesn't need to make thousands off his site, .....

having said that, I beleive Mike can sell anything if he sells suspenders ....

Talking
    Well I am a computer guy and advise some others like me on how to be Super Sellers at eBay, which is unemcumbered by network/merchant Adwhore mindsets. The sell over 1 million $$$ per month at ebay and want nothing to do with computer sales through the corrupt affiliate network channel.

Product/Price + quick delivery = sales & repeat sales. Throwing a layer of advertising BS, trying to take credit for driving sales with scewed stats, is a un-necessary cost layer and a cop-out for any sales manager worth his weight in taking on ROI in inventory turns.

The Geeks have finally responded as even they can see having no banners display reduces click traffic and damages their affiliates site's reputation....just like obvious spelling errors. Like other merchnats represented here they have multiple domains to play advertising games with over the years. Type in www.compgeeks.com or www.computergeeks.com and you get a hosting serverside re-direct to www.Geeks.com so any former linked images or landing pages coded by BF pointing to those domains get whacked. Impressions -clicks -cookies get caught up in the EcomCity sales tracking smell test. Simple fix, involving uncounted hours, was proposed to just this affiliate ...change any image calls from www.compgeeks.com or www.computergeeks.com to Geeks.com. Meanwhile this computer guy wonders which domain BF coded links calls upon to set the tracking click/cookie. If they still go to a auto re-direct site the cookie might be worthless for sales parsing as it isn't set any longer by the called domain. I have no client's using the BF platform so I'm just guessing. Andy would know from his times as TigerDirect AM fighting BF/TD interface reporting problems.

Interesting side note to contemplate:

Since beginning the long process of yanking out TD showcases, product and text category links to reduce daily impressions under 1000 and click aways to a dozen or less, the powers having a stranglehold on my earnings there have moved on! Say what?

Either TD insiders no longer pilfer/divert sales from my known account ID#, letting my true targeted traffic conversion ratio shine through, or outsider BHOs like 180Solutions aren't hijacking the low click count. Amazing the TD/CTR rate now is averaging 2.5% on some low traffic pages with a few un discovered banner/text links. The Geeks.... it's under 0.50%. Bet those at TD operating their spyware data mining app HITBOX are scratching their heads. What's up with 68 clicks producing 5 TD sales in the last week? How can we tap into this anomoly for our house account sales and SEO/SEM internal campaigns?

EcomCity still rules as the ultimate smell test on who's playing games, who's converting, who's diverting, and something IS BROKEN! No tricks for clicks. No PPCSE or incented traffic. Just 100% clicks from actual page displays. Sideline: my daily traffic flow has never been effected by the Google & other SE Gods in the last 12 months. It just flows more to sections where I revamp or add new pre-sale pages. Those merchants getting some of the new traffic have yet to prove their worth, as to ability to convert, or properly track sales.

Well I sure can add beyond Blossoms to my flower and gardening pages. Heck I'll hawk a few flower links on my Bonsai Tree pages and in the Bridal/Gifting sections. I have Andy's other programs in play and wish those 3000 clicks sent to Generic Gifts went his direction. He's sure have snagged more then 2 sales on that traffic. Off to CJ to apply.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    make more money while working smarter, not harder
    Exactly! Wish I thought of that years ago! But sometimes, you have to go thru the painfull learning process before your eyes open!

Just yesterday, I rec'd an email from a coveted "invitation only" LS merchant who touted their 2% commission/zero day cookie as an actual PLUS.

There was a time I would have said: You... want... ME! Cool! Sign me up!

Now I refer them to Charlie! (just kiddin' Mike)

ABW Ambassador

having said that, I beleive Mike can sell anything if he sells suspenders ....
    Hi, Andy

LOL !! I think you are right !!

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http:///www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    Question eBay Super Sellers?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Well I am a computer guy and advise some others like me on how to be Super Sellers at eBay, which is unemcumbered by network/merchant Adwhore mindsets. The sell over 1 million $$$ per month at ebay and want nothing to do with computer sales through the corrupt affiliate network channel.

Except for the seemingly endless eBay email blizzards, right now this sounds a lot better than trying to make money pumping out banners and links on a web site and always wondering what parasite is stealing from you, which merchant is diverting links, which network is screwing up your code or their code and any other number of ways to lose commissions.

I have often wondered where these long time eBay Super Sellers get their computer hardware merchandise, how they pay for it and how much of a markup they try to make.

Is it better to live near Los Angeles or San Francisco to get computer hardware merchandise or can most of this be done through US Snail Mail or United Parcel Service?

Any thoughts on this anyone?

RadarCat, Webmaster

Smile

Except for the seemingly endless eBay email blizzards, right now this sounds a lot better than trying to make money pumping out banners and links on a web site and always wondering what parasite is stealing from you, which merchant is diverting links, which network is screwing up your code or their code and any other number of ways to lose commissions.

I have often wondered where these long time eBay Super Sellers get their computer hardware merchandise, how they pay for it and how much of a markup they try to make.

Is it better to live near Los Angeles or San Francisco to get computer hardware merchandise or can most of this be done through US Snail Mail or United Parcel Service?

Any thoughts on this anyone?

RadarCat, Webmaster
    UPS runs the computer industry pipeline. The computer H/W industry is the oldest established whoremongering operation in existance. So their are no barriers to entry until you get to qualifications for exclusive brands like Panasonic, Apple, or Sony. IBM is no longer in that exclusive club as they sold out to the Chinese...LOL<. Any source selling mainstrean products and closeouts to TigerDirect -BestBuys -ComputerGeeks, will sell to you to with a tax ID# and legit occupational license. Look for off lease products and factory refurb items if your going the eBay route. Better yet go the Overstock auction route and with this valuable advice you'd best click on one of the EcomCity OS auction links so I make 5 cents.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs up Thanks, Mike!
    Mike,

Thanks for the info!

I'll make sure to click through your site!

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster

Talking
    Kuddo's to you Radarcat.... www.ecomcity.com/ads.htm then google your heart out for all the grey market distributors. If you signup as a Overstock reseller I get extra. Then get their Gold club membership and hawk some of their products at the B2B price. Wanna frost Tigerdirect or the Geeks? Just jump to opening a reseller account at www.infotelusa.com ...a Systemax company. Hows that for a cheap fee??

ABW Ambassador
    Smile Thanks, EcomCity !!

Hi, Webmaster Mike,

I've been Yahooing my fingers to the bone.

Affiliates who sell computers and computer hardware through their web sites can learn a lot by studying your web site at www.ecomcity.com/ads.htm . It's not always quickly apparent what you are doing but by studying your source code things start to clear up after a while. I got some cool ideas for my own web pages by studying your ad page.

As large as your site is, how do you find time to post here as often as you do? You must be Mr. Fireball on the keyboard!

I even found a black 1977 Pontiac Firebird through your site that I wish I could afford.

You given me a lot to think about including the reseller route. Maybe I can turn my cheap heatsink and cheap modem budget into something more lucrative!

Maybe Haiko would be interested in setting up a resellers forum. I know that I am useless at PHP but Hiako has this new software running perfectly!

Back to pumping out graphic and text links . . .
    Back to Yahooing my fingers to the bone . . .

Thank you very much, Mr. http://www.ecomcity.com !!

Best,
    Radarcat, Webmaster

Os2warplinks I'm not really very active in updating my 380 EcomCity pages until the networks put some real rules in place to protect showcase affiliates. All my energies go into adding sections onto merchant client sites or building new client sites. EcomCity has some good landing page sections, and the Ads.htm page sure isn't one of them...LOL. Glad you picked up something of use there.

Put together a dynomite computer products and closeout site with drop shippers and some in-house stuff and hone it into an affiliate enable site. I'll then post links to it!

Over five years in computer disty taught me, and I keep repeating it like a mantra, "There is no money in systems, there is no money in systems..." The caveats of course are selling the first tier computer systems, new, and without an installation or configuration contract. Value added resellers made their money on, well, added value, and only carried branded boxes to give the customer what they wanted, and built white box when they could get away with it. If they could they drop shipped branded boxes to the customer's premises and sometimes even got the customer to pay the PO.

The point is that AM is probably not going to see much money in hawking Toshibas. There probably is decent margin in peripherals and consumables, stuff that can be bought throughout the life cycle of a box. The boxes I have seen being hawked are distressed; returns, refurbs, overstocks, clearances, discontinueds, yada yada. Seven years ago I knew computer products inside and out, yet I wouldn't bother putting links up to them today, unless it were a particular make/model that I was evangelical about. The stinko margins and tacky commercial practices I'm seeing are just a reminder of why I don't promote low margin commodities except out of necessity.
    [LEFT]Scott :tartanber [URL=http://www.scotthamilton.net]My Vanity Page[/URL][/LEFT]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by infoscott
    There probably is decent margin in peripherals and consumables, stuff that can be bought throughout the life cycle of a box.

Hi, InfoScott,

This makes good sense to me.

Best,
    RadarCat, Webmaster

ABW Ambassador
    C'mon, Andy

I've a better one for you Andy. Contact The Geeks and take over the duties of Affiliate management from the clueless manager running it. They have the product and the price and as my test purchases show they deliver. They also pay on time when some sales sneak through the diversion and reporting gauntlet and actually show up at BF.
    C'mon, Andy, just do it, man. It's not like you are in the Marines serving in Iraq. Hey, think of all the pretty southern California gals who work there!

I promise you the top of my home page and all my main pages for Computer Geeks graphic links if you take over as AM.

Best,
    RadarCat

I'm sure Andy would immediately figure out where the Geeks/BF interface has broken down and patch it! One hint for anyone promoting Computer Geeks is to look at your traffic report. Tigerdirect always showed 80-100 clicks on 3500 impressions from my site pages for 5 years straight. Take a look at this mess of bogus traffic stats on BF coded links to The Geeks....

EcomCity -worlds most complete shopping community
    From 04/13/2005 To 05/09/2005
    Affiliate Site Transaction Day Transaction Date Impressions Click Throughs Click to Impression %
    EcomCity -worlds most complete shopping community Wednesday 04/13/2005 2,341 4 .17%
    Thursday 04/14/2005 2,516 13 .52%
    Friday 04/15/2005 2,406 8 .33%
    Saturday 04/16/2005 2,170 18 .83%
    Sunday 04/17/2005 1,625 4 .25%
    Monday 04/18/2005 2,998 10 .33%
    Tuesday 04/19/2005 2,812 12 .43%
    Wednesday 04/20/2005 2,458 82 3.34%
    Thursday 04/21/2005 2,164 7 .32%
    Friday 04/22/2005 2,233 57 2.55%
    Saturday 04/23/2005 2,307 4 .17%
    Sunday 04/24/2005 2,853 2 .07%
    Monday 04/25/2005 2,982 22 .74%
    Tuesday 04/26/2005 3,776 22 .58%
    Wednesday 04/27/2005 3,598 16 .44%
    Thursday 04/28/2005 3,210 12 .37%
    Friday 04/29/2005 1,943 8 .41%
    Saturday 04/30/2005 2,427 23 .95%
    Sunday 05/01/2005 2,357 34 1.44%
    Monday 05/02/2005 2,883 36 1.25%
    Tuesday 05/03/2005 2,943 9 .31%
    Wednesday 05/04/2005 2,250 3 .13%
    Thursday 05/05/2005 2,351 7 .30%
    Friday 05/06/2005 2,389 367 15.36% (must be click padding day)
    Saturday 05/07/2005 1,962 7 .36%
    Sunday 05/08/2005 2,085 5 .24%
    Monday 05/09/2005 3,504 9 .26%
    Subtotal 69,543 801 1.15%

Both BF and The Geeks report bogus physical click stats month in and out. Take a look at the Tigerdirect traffic stats for same period on some buried obsolete creatives now that HitBox no longer targets my sites traffic.

EcomCity -worlds most complete shopping community
    From 04/13/2005 To 05/09/2005
    Affiliate Site Transaction Day Transaction Date Impressions Click Throughs Click to Impression %
    EcomCity -worlds most complete shopping community Wednesday 04/13/2005 345 5 1.45%
    Thursday 04/14/2005 457 3 .66%
    Friday 04/15/2005 427 2 .47%
    Saturday 04/16/2005 389 7 1.80%
    Sunday 04/17/2005 241 2 .83%
    Monday 04/18/2005 545 4 .73%
    Tuesday 04/19/2005 501 4 .80%
    Wednesday 04/20/2005 344 6 1.74%
    Thursday 04/21/2005 486 2 .41%
    Friday 04/22/2005 432 14 3.24%
    Saturday 04/23/2005 471 4 .85%
    Sunday 04/24/2005 518 1 .19%
    Monday 04/25/2005 697 8 1.15%
    Tuesday 04/26/2005 637 5 .78%
    Wednesday 04/27/2005 739 61 8.25%
    Thursday 04/28/2005 416 2 .48%
    Friday 04/29/2005 410 6 1.46%
    Saturday 04/30/2005 502 4 .80%
    Sunday 05/01/2005 422 8 1.90%
    Monday 05/02/2005 384 6 1.56%
    Tuesday 05/03/2005 320 2 .63%
    Wednesday 05/04/2005 417 3 .72%
    Thursday 05/05/2005 432 0 .00%
    Friday 05/06/2005 429 145 33.80% (definitely click padding day)
    Saturday 05/07/2005 275 0 .00%
    Sunday 05/08/2005 207 5 2.42%
    Monday 05/09/2005 611 2 .33%
    Subtotal 12,054 311 2.58%

I see my server stats for EcomCity traffic and page views have no let down in daily figures. If you can't trust BF impression and physical click totals, since the ValueCick buyout, then abandon that sinking ship unless your some sort of cookie trickster.

ABW Ambassador
    ComputerGeeks is a GREAT trademark.
    LOL...they probably filter affiliates@geeks.com as spam.

I'm beginning to wonder about that, myself. Someone at Computer Geeks is definitely not taking care of their job of answering the email.

Plus all this idiocy about switching over from computergeeks.com to
    geeks.com probably isn't helping matters and may be a cause for confusion on affiliate links. ComputerGeeks is a GREAT trademark. Geeks.com sounds like it was cooked up by some bonehead from SlashDot.

If you go to the URL computergeeks.com by the time you arrive the URL is geeks.com. The home page graphics still are the wonderful Computer Geeks graphics. The owner(s) of Computer Geeks needs to put their foot down and say "ComputerGeeks.com it is, not Geeks.com, and that is final!"

I see no point at all in all this geek.com nonsense. Unless I were a bonehead running SlashDot then anything stupid will do.

Best,
    RadarCat, WebMaster

C'mon, Andy, just do it, man. It's not like you are in the Marines serving in Iraq. Hey, think of all the pretty southern California gals who work there!

I promise you the top of my home page and all my main pages for Computer Geeks graphic links if you take over as AM.

Best,
    RadarCat
    Well, if you say so..... put the wqord out, i will only do a 3 month agreement to set them straight....

Put out the word to the geeks and see what happens....

Smile
    Just point them here Andy and simpily explain how they can search ABW for posts relating to Computer Geeks. Probably will get me fired as a value-add affiliate, and you hired as an experienced computer products AM. Remember those days when my computer pages created 150 clicks per day on 4500 impressions producing sales that were 100% incentive free. Sad that The Geeks creatives replaced the TD creatives ...and now the TD limited clicks out sold them YTD....ROLMAO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast