Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Norton And McAfee Blocking Affiliate Links
    http://www.a4uforum.co.uk/showthread...threadid=16866

I am posting this link to a discussion still taking place on a UK based forum because this issue is very important. It has resulted in some of the networks taking remedial action but sadly some of the very major players ignoring it.

Norton Internet Security and Firewall are blocking most affiliate links & banners and even AdWords and Adsense ads. It also blocks most ad servers. It may even be blocking your own site logo if it is a certain image size.

There are a number of possible solutions to the problem. The thread has been going for over a year now and slowly affiliates in the UK are taking remedial action against the new "default" settings on the latest editions from Norton and McAfee which are preset on all new European based computers and some US based systems.

What the crux of the issue is: The software companies are deleting your affiliate links to merchants and replacing the link with a direct link to the merchant thereby denying you any revenue as the cookie is deleted. This was introduced by them to prevent spam and pop-ups but the software now automatically in "default" blocks all affiliate cookies.

At present based on research in the UK by affiliates about 8% of all customers have the cookies removed automatically when clicking on an affiliate link to a merchant. That is a lot of lost sales.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I sure hope the stock value of McAffee and Symantic takes it in the shorts as Microsoft moves into this arena with both feet. This blocking of affiliuate network cookies is scare tactic marketing. It would cease if the networks abandoned their spyware datamining practices...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

If they are indeed doing this
    The software companies are deleting your affiliate links to merchants and replacing the link with a direct link to the merchant thereby denying you any revenue as the cookie is deleted.
    That is Illegal.

ABW Ambassador
    Microsoft Acquisition Rattles Security Firms' Investors
    http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=60300223

ABW Ambassador

[
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    I sure hope the stock value of McAffee and Symantic takes it in the shorts as Microsoft moves into this arena with both feet.
    It would be certainly be some justice after all the links that have been wiped off of affiliates web pages, especially by Norton.

Let's see how they like being "a little guy".

Let us hope that Micro$oft doesn't end up going down the same shabby path that Norton did.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Another big problem is the myriad of programs that block affiliate links by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 through the "hosts" file. From my estimates, about 5% of affiliate links are blocked that way.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

NIS 2005 ships with ad blocking off by default. The user must choose to turn on ad blocking. Links disappear, they are not replaced.

The NIS toolbar (added in IE inthe View tab) has an easy drop down that allows a user to immediately allow ads from sites they are on *by choice*, if they have ad-blocking on in general.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Many of us in the UK beta tested the new Microsoft software. It retains affiliate links and still removes spam and pop ups which is good but the program is heavy usage. It does considerably slow a computer down if the operating system is XP. Microsoft are looking into it.

ABW Ambassador
    Microsoft Antispyware doesn't seem to slow my computer (WindowsXP) down much
    at all. I am on a high speed cable internet connection. I also have the free AVG
    anti-virus program on my computer, that is another story with the new version, I
    can't hardly get anything done once it starts running. I really like the Microsoft
    Antispyware program, recommend everyone to download it and give it a shot.

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Another big problem is the myriad of programs that block affiliate links by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 through the "hosts" file. From my estimates, about 5% of affiliate links are blocked that way.
    Hi, MichaelColey

Would you be interested in starting a new thread on the above quote for us Newbies and how webmasters can deal with it when you have some spare time?

Thanks a million!!

RadarCat, Webmaster

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Nort*n
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jupp
    http://www.a4uforum.co.uk/showthread...threadid=16866

I am posting this link to a discussion still taking place on a UK based forum because this issue is very important. It has resulted in some of the networks taking remedial action but sadly some of the very major players ignoring it.

At present based on research in the UK by affiliates about 8% of all customers have the cookies removed automatically when clicking on an affiliate link to a merchant. That is a lot of lost sales.
    Hi, All,

A loss of 8% sales can mean the difference between staying in business
    and going broke in many cases.

Does Nort*n care? Obviously not!

If Nort*n is not put out of business, you may be put out of business by Nort*n!!

RadarCat, Webmaster

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It works ..it's affiliate cookie friendly and currently free. Push the Gold Standard and wipe out some Adwhores today.

Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread