Does anyone know how to align numbers in columns. I have an old datafeed for a merchant that I have modified by hand and now I want to add those modified columns to the new datafeed using the product id number. Of course there are new products in the new datafeed and products that are no longer there, so the numbers don't line up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    You should just be able to click the top of the column to select the entire thing and then choose the align option from your formatting toolbar. You can left align, right align or center any info within cells in that column this way - numbers or not. It's pretty easy. Good luck

If that doesn't work, you may have messed up the formatting. Highlight the effected cells, go to Format>Cells (or right click over the cells and got to Format Cells) Make sure you are on the "Number" tab and change it to "General". That should clear any special formatting that may have happened.

I probably didn't describe this right, I didn't mean to align left or center or anything, I mean that in one column I might have numbers like 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 and in the other column I might have 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9. I want to align the 1 in the first column with the 1 in the second column and the 2 in the first column with the 2 in the second column and so on with adjustments for numbers that are missing or have been added

Do you have information in adjacent columns that you need to keep with it, or do you just srtictly need at match Column A to Column B?

Hello Heather,

I do have one column that I need to keep with the numbers from the old datafeed, but I can put it together into one column or work around it so if there's a way to align just the numbers, I'd love to hear that, if there's a way to do it and keep the text column with the old numbers, that would be even better

"...with adjustments for numbers that are missing or have been added"

That's the real trick, isn't it?

Two sorts will get everything in line. One sort for all of the old records, and one sort for the new stuff. But, what to do about the missing records?

You'll have to do something with the "=IF" function, but it all depends on the criteria you set up. What if there is a record that is missing? what do you want to go in there? i.e., if there is a record 4 in the old data, but not a new one in the new data, what needs to happen?

Fred

It is tricky, I don't see any way of doing it yet except by hand for 10,000 products. If there's a 4 in the new one but not the old, I need to add a cell in the old, but if there's a 5 in the old column but not the new one, I need to delete that cell in the old column.

Also, I know how to apply a function to every cell in a column, but how do you apply a function to a column sort if I where to use the "=IF" function

amyone have any ideas on this? I'm still trying to figure it out. My wife says she could do it at work on a main frame computer, but that's not much help.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread