Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Question Dumb Adsense question
    Usually my sites only pick up X per Adsense click through. The other day I had a X*37 click through and was totally suprised, yesterday I had a X*32 click.

Is there a way that I can tell what type of ad was clicked on? I know that there is a way to track the keyword clicked on, but I am not sure how.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dynamoo; February 11th, 2005 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Quoting specifics violates the AdSense TOS - you wouldn't want to lose your AdSense account

you can key your ad areas so you can tell how one paid off, and you can get figures per url, but you can't find the subject matter of an ad that someone clicked on.

It's hard to think of a reason that an ad with that much additional value should suddenly turn up, unless it's an error by the ad's publisher and they are including the wrong or too-broad keywords.

I have heard people say that they've had corrections from AdSense in the past where some money has been added to the account unexpectedly.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I've also seen my AdSense ads change topics ever so slightly (and hit higher and lower PPC rate ads) - like AdSense is checking whether something else closely related gets better click-thru. Maybe it's algorithm finds the top 5 related keywords that the page triggers on and every once in a while it switches them out to try and a/b test it's way to highest relevancy...

Not sure at all - but have seen similar things that you're seeing.

Also possible that a new player(s) for a particular keyword group was experimenting with higher bids.

It could be a combination of someone clicking on the 3rd ad on the page and someone new that wanted the top spot and bid higher and you got a click on the first ad.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Add something similar to this after your adsense js...

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
    function hit(){
    window.focus();
    if (window.status){
    img = new Image();
    img.src = 'http://page_on_yoursite_writes_to_file.php?ref=' + escape(document.location) + '&to=' + escape(window.status);
    };
    };
    document.getElementById("google_ads_frame").onfocus = hit;
    //--></script>

Quote Originally Posted by fclark

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
    function hit(){
    window.focus();
    if (window.status){
    img = new Image();
    img.src = 'http://page_on_yoursite_writes_to_file.php?ref=' + escape(document.location) + '&to=' + escape(window.status);
    };
    };
    document.getElementById("google_ads_frame").onfocus = hit;
    //--></script>
    What does this jvscript do?

when the google_ads_frame receives focus (right or left click) the function "hit" is called.

The hit function reads the text in the status bar ("go to example.com" as displayed when you hover over an adsense ad)

and sends it to an image file on your server within the querystring...
    ?ref=<the referring page> & to=<the ad clicked on>

but the image on your server is a fake image... it actually is a dynamic page that parses the query string above and places the referring page and ad clicked on data into you access or mssql or mysql database. then it serves a 1x1 gif in place of the img.

You can check your adsense clickouts in your database...
    -------
    2005-03-09 13:49:44 ref=http://www.mysite.com/,to=go to ww.example1.com

2005-03-09 13:50:02 ref=http://www.mysite.com/review/,to=go to ww.example2.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had sudden high-value clicks come in, too. I always figure it's just some new advertiser who doesn't mind losing his shirt. Or that doesn't realize how fast bidding ultra-high will cause shirlessness!

Cool, but now I'm wondering how to code the php script the js calls... I only know a little php...

And...does this mess with the delivery in any way? Where's the 1x1 gif you mentioned get served to, if the person has clicked away through the AdSense link?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ok, i think i got it.

So the jvscript will log 'referring url' and 'ad clicked on' from adsense. wow nice! I am also wondering if the deployemnt of this script will affect adsense servings in anyway.

I will have to go and give it a try.

Leader: PM me if you need help with dumping the value into MySQL. You can set it up in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Affiliate Ian
    ok, i think i got it.

So the jvscript will log 'referring url' and 'ad clicked on' from adsense. wow nice! I am also wondering if the deployemnt of this script will affect adsense servings in anyway.

I will have to go and give it a try.

Leader: PM me if you need help with dumping the value into MySQL. You can set it up in a few minutes.
    I would give strong thought before altering their code snippet in any way. Per Googles terms, it clearly states you cannot alter their code in ANY format. Be cautious!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thanks for the reminder. I also remembered reading that somewhere and found it this morning before I made any adjustments.

The idea's not mine... the basis for the js developed on another board that a certain company's advisors regularly visit. One participated in the thread. Paraphrasing: it shouldn't be a problem. This does not change their js a bit, as it is added totally separately later in your page. It also does not interfere with anything going on in the iframe.

Just be sure you don't test it by clicking on your own account! Right-click tracking was considered a bug, but it allows you to check its tracking without creating a fraudulent click.
    Last edited by fclark; March 10th, 2005 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added info

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread