ABW Ambassador
    Question Is this common for sites with aff programs?
    G'day,
    I was looking over the sites and found australian native is suddenly using a lot of disk space (which it shouldn't really do as it's only a small site) - any way, I looked at the referrer logs and access logs and they are over 130mb and over 450mb each.

Now this can't have happened before because at this rate, the site will run out of disk space soon and it's never done that before. Is this common for sites with affiliate programs (only a small one at that) or is it likely something else is causing my logs to be HUGE?

ABW Ambassador
    I can't even examine the logs, it crashes webalizer and try opening a 170mb log file in notetab LOL

450 MB is nothing lol

I have weblogs that are only 2 days old that are 4GB in size and an error log of 1GB

ABW Ambassador
    Yes but this is for one small site!!!

ABW Ambassador
    If never rotated, the logs can eventually get very big, you need to rotate your logs.

First, if there are static datafeed pages on the site, it can build up disk space pretty quickly - possible.

The log files should be archived each month. This is a current function for "cpanel" but you may not have that. You can do it manually, or write a cron job to take care of it, that might help. If the logs aren't that old, then something else is going on that you really need to get a hold of.

I am a little confused, is this one of your sites, or do you host them? I don't understand.

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    This is the site I have that has it's own affiliate program. The log seems to have been built up over a long period of time. I need to contact my host and find out why this one isn't archiving the logs as each month passes when other sites do.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    You need to get your self into a situation where you can look at logfiles line-by-line in order to ascertain exactly what is happening.

If it's a decent OS, you should be able to log onto the server and output logfiles to the screen using more, tail, head, grep, etc.

ABW Ambassador
    The files were too large, I mean, 450+mb of text, it just died. I've spoken with my host so hopefully they'll sort it so it archives each months logs from now on.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread