Pressuring a merchant to pay up!
    I have a merchant that still owes me money from 2003 and 2004. With the exception of taking them to court, what are some ways of putting pressure on them to pay up? Contacting the Better Business Bureau? Contacting the state's attorney general? Any and all suggestions welcome.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    The BBB won't make them pay you but they can give them a bad record. Unfortunately, since it was from 2003 & 2004 I would assume the merchant has no intentions of paying you no matter what you do.

Have they told you any reason why they aren't paying you or are they ignoring you?

ABW Ambassador
    Tell the world & move on
    I assume that the merchant is still active "somewhere".

Assume a screen name and spam every affiliate board on earth about the problem.

Then walk away. Your time is better spent on good merchants.

imo

The merchant claimed to use my commissions to finance a new telephone system after they had a fire in the office. Total bs. They tried paying me a few times in 2004, but I'm owed a few thousand. One day in mid-2004, they just decided to no longer respond to my e-mails and phone calls.

I submitted a BBB complaint anyway and one with the FTC. I'm also going to try and contact the local paper. I could use more suggestions!
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    I submitted a BBB complaint anyway and one with the FTC. I'm also going to try and contact the local paper. I could use more suggestions!
    Like Adam said, it is better to spend the time on good merchants. It is good to get the word out to warn others but I really wouldn't spend to much more time on them. The only other thing would be to take them to court but that costs money too and there is no guarantee that you will win. And if you do win it still doesn't guarantee that you'll get your money...

I agree with Adam. Let everyone know who they are and then we all can boycott him. You may not be the ony one in this situation.

I have a few like this too. I'm going to just turn them over to a collections agency.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I would do it like Michael Coley. "A few thousand" is too much to walk away from--yet it's counterproductive and stressful to spend YOUR time going after it.

Hire the collectors to spend their time, while you use your own to promote good merchants. The one time I really had to dun as an all-out endeavor, I did it myself and I got some of my money out of 'em, but I ended up wishing I had hired an agency. It would have taken much less time and stress, and it would have been well worth an agency's commission to know that the rotten b*stard was having to deal with some pitbull-like collection agency.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

take them to small claims court.

I looked into the small claims court. The company is several states away from me so traveling there to get my day in court (travel, hotel, food, etc.) would just about consume all the money they owe me. And even if I win, there's no gurantee they would pay up. The collections agency angle is interesting though. Will have to check that out. How about setting up a [merchant store name]sucks.com site?
    [SIZE=2]
    [/B][/SIZE]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The company is several states away from me so traveling there to get my day in court (travel, hotel, food, etc.) would just about consume all the money they owe me. And even if I win, there's no gurantee they would pay up.
    A full-service collection attorney would handle legal proceedings (if you chose to have them sue), and if the deadbeat didn't honor the judgement, would handle seizures of property...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You can make up the travel courts if you sue them
    Plus Airline tickets are cheap I am flying to LA from NY and am just paying 235 dollars round trip. Plus 4 days in a hotel for 180.

You would just sue them for what ever travel expenses you have and or just claim it on your taxes next year.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread