Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs down Ask Jeeves Stealing Adsense Revenue?
    Just noticed that Ask Jeeves frames your site and if there's adsense on it, the greedy f'n butler will replace it with his own...

in other words not only are they defacing your site with a stock(white and blue) adsense ad, they are replacing it with their own.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed here or if google knows about this, but I find this very unacceptable and sleazy.

now we really know that the butler did it!

can you show me an example ?

Holy cow...you're absolutely right! That's so wrong. :-(

Well, Ask.com just earned a place in my referer blacklist file.

I didn't pick up on this until I realized the color scheme of the framed AS was different than the unframed one.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

It looks to me like you are sooooo right.

I went to Ask Jeeves, did a search for one of my site pages that has adsense on it. I clicked thru on the link the search gave me and there was an adsense ad outlined in dark blue with ads about insurance. I have the ads display in green that match my site pages and there is no mention of insurance on my pages for adsense to be displaying insurance ads. I clicked on the "remove preview" link in the Ask Jeeves frame to remove my site from their frame and what do ya know? My page shows like it's supposed to be - green outlined adsense ad - and the ads that now show match the page that they're on.

So since when did Google Adsense start allowing other sites to change the adsense ads shown on my pages to visitors to my site?

ABW Ambassador
    Whoa. I tried one of my sites without adsense the only site i have with adsense. And am seeing the same thing Electropulse posted. I'm looking at my page with their adsense on it.

ABW Ambassador
    It does not actually change your id. Check the final numbers of any link, they should be the same as your id. What it does do is boof the style sheet and also the content it sees. It seems every page shows insurance ads when you go through them.

This is bad, but they are not stealing.

Ask.com just sucks, this is just more proof.

I get ads for pet urine on my site even though my site has nothing to do with pets. It also looks like they use the default google colors which make my site look real bad.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

My site it doesn't change anything did a view source and the id numbers were the same.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm going to contact Google. I'm seeing ads for pet urine too. Since it doesn't match what's on my page, money is being lost all the way around.

I'm getting cough surpressing strip ads, not fair to those advertisers...pretty soon they will feel it, seeing this, now I know for sure I will never advertise on googles search network.

Good point, it's not strictly stealing the ad, because my id is still there. But the colors are off and the relevancy is out the window. Instead of the tightly targeted ads that give me good AS revenue, I have generic junk that has nothing to do with the page.
    Tim

After a little experimenting, I'm starting to think this is a google bug with AS on framed pages. I would have to build out a framed page to test this, but this is what I see:

1. use Ask.com to get to page with AS ad, see it's generic and poorly targeted.
    2. click link within framed page to go to another page at the same site.
    3. the AS ad displays properly color-wise, but is targeted at the PREVIOUS page.
    4. repeat step 3, the targeting is for the previous page every time.

So for example, in step 2, you're viewing a page about widgets. The ad is for dog urine remover. :-)

You click a link at the site for a page about frobnitzes. The ad is for widgets.

You click a link at the site for a page about rice pudding. The ad is for frobnitzes.

My guess is the framing is messing up AS, not the butler doing anything nefarious.
    Tim

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Electropulse
    I'm getting cough surpressing strip ads, not fair to those advertisers...pretty soon they will feel it, seeing this, now I know for sure I will never advertise on googles search network.
    Don't you mean the content network? The search network doesn't show
    ads on adsense.

I beleive Google will suggest to you guys check the box that says this ad will be placed in a frame page when you get the ad code.

Since this was moved out of the Midnight cafe here. Don't you think it should of been moved here
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

(Moved again)

I can't generate exactly the same fault, but I can confirm that the ID number on the ads appears to be unchanged.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    I haven't had a look at the ask.com results so I don't know the specifics, but the simple solution would be to install a frame buster script on your site/s.

Woz
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Can you post the code to this frame buster script?
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Simply insert this between your HEAD tags:

Code:
      <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    <!--
      if (top != self) { top.location = location; }
    // -->
    </script>
    If you visit the top site here in Ask Jeeves results, you'll see it breaks out of the irritating frame.

Thanks for the code

That's going on all my sites

--Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Azam.com
    Simply insert this between your HEAD tags:

Code:
      <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
     <!--
       if (top != self) { top.location = location; }
     // -->
     </script>
    If you visit the top site here in Ask Jeeves results, you'll see it breaks out of the irritating frame.
    yep, this works. thank you!

Many thanks Azam.com!

Note: I tried to pull up my sites using askjeeves.com seacrh engine and it didn't put any ads on my sites. Can someone show me a better example? I want to see what it does.
    [SIZE=2]
    [B][URL=http://www.readydomains.com][color=blue]ReadyDomains.com[/color][/URL] - Premium domain names for sale. Your new domain is ready!
    [/B][/SIZE]

Spikedo
    I just put readydomains.com in the ask jeeves search box and a few of your listings show up. When you click on one these you will see your homepage and the adsense on your page shows up for cough medicne
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thanks nyfalcon. Now I see what they are doing. I tried it with a few of my affiliate sites before and it didn't do it for them. I wonder why.
    [SIZE=2]
    [/B][/SIZE]

Internet Cowboy
    They have apparently quit this practice. I just looked at my sites with Adssense and all was fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast