http and a telephoto
    PSC script
    It seems that a bunch of merchants have been able to create a PSC for their programs and today I thought to myself, what if there was a PSC that I could use for ANY of my datafeeds? How hard would it be to create? I would use that as much or more than my other site creation tools.

I have the data in online mysql databases and offline in flat files, so I would be happy to see the creation of either a tool that I would use on my server, or one that I could run locally, using perl perhaps.

Just a thought, maybe someone can run with it I'll do beta testing!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

As you know Loxly, the biggest drawback to this is the fact that each and every merchant uses a different feed format. Some have categories, others don't. Some have 2 category levels others have 5+. If there was 1 or 2 formats that 90% used, then it could be done. But with all the different formats out there, don't look for it anytime soon.

Just my $0.02

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

http and a telephoto
    Yes, I thought about all the different formats. But if you go by network, then all the CJ merchant feeds are of the same number of fields and field titles, even if the fields are empty or have different data than intended. Same goes for Linkshare. The biggest problem with these feeds *is* the lack of categories. BUT most of the feeds actually have information in the *keywords* field.

So a PSC that can pull similar products by filtering from the keywords, titles and description fields would actually be quite useful. Like, I want all the items in this feed that have the word "cat" in the title, keywords or description.

Categories are actually a hindrance in the PSC's I have seen since they limit what I can search if I have to pick a category.

I am probably searching for a pie in the sky, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I am not a programmer so I cannot do this, but maybe if we can brainstorm about it we can get something that will work for a bunch of feeds
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread