Mac computers and spyware
    I admit that I know absolutely nothing at all about Mac computers. I thought spyware was "restricted" to a Windows environment. I just received this email from someone who is using a Mac and I have no idea what to tell her?

"this thing setupEM4081.exe which installs zango.com's stuff keeps downloading itself to my OS 10.2.8 desktop everytime I hook up to the internet. I can see a funny running processs which changes its name and refuses to be deleted by a scrub and reinstall of the OS, and it shot across the wireless to the other mac as well, but everyone insists there is no spyware for mac. "

She already used Allume without success. Is it possible that she really has Zango on her Mac or some other kind of spyware? I have no idea what program is associated with setupEM4081.exe?

I did searches for spyware on Mac computers but as she said, everyone insists there is no such thing. However, I found a program, Macscan, that claims to remove spyware from Mac computers at http://macscan.securemac.com/ but the download button is disabled with a note saying "new version coming shortly" as well as the spyware list that this program is supposedly capable of removing.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any information on this.

Catwoman

No I don't know of such a thing but I am about to purchase a Mac for my graphic designer and if you find out please post it. It would be greatly appreciated.

it will download and annoy the crap out of her but it won't install. However there are viruses and security flaws that can make a mac vulnerable but they have been fixed and patches released so far 2 this year.

There are rumores that there are spyware apps out for the mac but that copanies like 180 are waiting for there to be a more then 4% userbase before they actually put it out there.

Also don't beleive that there are no viruses spyware for macs. There are but they aren't thrown out there like they are for windows.

Thanks!
    Thanks HardwareGeek, that's good to know.

Are you aware of any spyware removal program for Mac computers? I know the two I recommend on my site don't run on Mac's.

How do you keep spyware from downloading on a Mac? If she sees the process running, hasn't the program been installed already? She talks about zango, is it possible for it to download and install on a Mac?

Thanks a lot! I learn something new every day.

Catwoman

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Has she set her homepage to a URL that runs a javascript download?

Does the other Mac have the same homepage set?

She should really be on OSX 10.3.8

We need to see more info on this process that renames itself.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread