Major SE Shopping Competition
    With the major SEs creating datafeed shopping sections on their main search page, (i.e Froogle, Yahoo Products, etc.) , does it affect potential sales for your sites? Do you think they will eventually downgrade affiliate sites in their SERPs to get a bigger piece of the pie in their competition with each other? Making us collateral damage in the process.

The SEs are our friends but they are becoming major shopping portals too. Will you be able to retain your customer base in light of this?

What are your thoughts on this?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar7
    Do you think they will eventually downgrade affiliate sites in their SERPs to get a bigger piece of the pie in their competition with each other?
    Yes, Yes, Yes (unfortunately!)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Those enities ruled by the advertising mindset require the tools to drain the major merchants Ad budgets. The major affiliate networks are just fronts for those seeking to do just that ...drain every cent from every Ad budget without breaking into a work induced sweat. The Ad industry controls this industries boardrooms and calls the shots. Shots like birthing domainless BHO's, info scraping front end sites to fuel spammers & telemarketers, and SEO/SEM practices enabled by spyware and data mining apps.

Main purpose is to create trafficing monopolies that scew the stats in favor of their Ad budget draining cash cows. If they can marginalize domain bound affiliates to being just filtering and focusing pointmen for their auditron S/W POS attack dogs, while data mining and sharing or selling the combined stats, they will please their IAB/DMA and Ad agency masters.

The very first AM, who breached the trust and ecommerce vault of their merchant clients by giving out proprietary datafeeds to the unwashed affiliate masses, opened pandoras box of the Adwhores. Eventually you'll see the major BHO's popping product specific price comparision Ads right during the buying/checkout process. This will be fueled directly from network aggregrator product feed servers. Insider affiliate network power brokers will hone their SEO/SEM teams and rat out those domain bound affiliates to the SE's who download and use mirrored site feeds. Endgame is trying to pressure the shopping portal SE's to whack affiliate doorway page sites, while they directly offer Google -Yahoo MSN and AOL customized product shopping directories.

Stupid merchants trusting their hired gun AM firms will be forced to participate or see product specific BHO popups plaguing their shoppers if they even get any without a network sales tracking cookie already in place. Goal for the networks is to cookie every damn merchant sale on the Internet for their cut! If a domain bound affiliate gets a sales credit ...no big deal...they get paid eitherway. If Yahoo -Froogle -MSN shopping, or Shopping.com snag the majority of sales they will keep quiet as to their position in the great Ad budget draining scam.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Don't think you'll see much difference from what you see now. The major SE's have had shopping sections for awhile now. With Yahoo Product search i believe merchants have to pay to get in:
    https://productsubmit.adcentral.yaho...ing?SS=8720850

With Froogle it's all free. I remember when Froogle came out a bunch of people thought this spelled the doom for the mom and pops, that Google would have their own affiliate links in Froogle etc. None of that happened. I saw it as a way to make even more money if it ever took off by having targetted PPC along side the product searches. Fact is people mainly search from the main search box at Yahoo, MSN, Google. And since the main results will always be determined by an algo, you will always have a chance of getting good listings if you know a little SEO. A bigger worry if you push products is that merchants are more relevant and your fellow affiliate competition. That's what will push you down.

If you're nichting, I don't think you'll see much difference. But if you're a mall site, I think you'll find that the big boys a competing to take the high ground and a huge amount of the traffic and sales. We're talking about billions of dollars here. Luckily, this is one huge pie and honestly, there is a slice for everyone. Just how much.

I agree with ecomcity sooner or later, they will begin to squeeze us for ad dollars (paid listings, PPC, etc.). After all SEs are the perfect advertising vehicle.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I say bring it on. Not only are they providing ideas and innovations for us to scoop up, they're creating a pool of potential customers for us to pluck from. These systems are always for sale, so it's always possible to get our links in there by one means or another. Personally, I don't think these types of shopping engines are useful. I'd go to Bizrate.com or Pricegrabber.com before visiting Froogle or Yahoo Shopping.

darkstar has a good point too. These sites are too general and I think the general shopping scene is way too crowded. They really aren't helping or hurting the way I see it. I don't view them as competition. Unless they start producing something more innovative and noteworthy, I won't give them my attention.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread