Question Hundreds of thousands adverts shown for CJ merchant for not a penny in compensation
    I have complained for months that I thought the 'Quote of the Day' link provided by the Brian Tracy '21 Success Secrets- FREE CD' was not working. I was told by the Brian Tracy Affiliate Manager that it was working six months ago.

However, after having queried it again and again, they have now admitted it was not tracking. They have now removed it from the network.

They are refusing to compensate us for showing hundreds of thousands of their adverts and not earning a cent in commission because the tracking was not working. Our emails are not being responded to. The phone number on their site for affiliates is dead.

It was not our fault THEIR link was not tracking, so we should they get free advertising on our sites?

This has made be furious: they are a wealthy company and I shouldn't have to pay the price for their ineptitude.

I would ordinarily have accepted it as just another disappointment, but I have been tricked, conned and lied to by too many 'respectable' merchants online and will not allow another internet company to scam me.

There are just too many merchants out there who just expect affiliates to put up with tracking not working. Because they can hide behind the anonymity of email, they can get away with enjoying free exposure on affiliate sites without paying up the promised commission.

What can we do?

Azam,
    Sorry that happend to you. The unfortunate thing is that it went on for so long. If you suspected the link wasn't working in the first place you should have asked for internal reporting or just taken it off.
    Did you have any tracking of your own? I know that I have experienced problems with tracking before but we can usually catch it within a couple of minutes. If anyone running a program was monitoring they would be able to see a link not tracking.
    That is the nature of the beast, you don't get paid for the advertising you might generate. With the exception of cpc or cpm.
    I don't see you getting compensated as there is no way to know how many sales might have been generated.
    Good Luck in the future.

Thank you for that, Shane. I don't expect I'll get anywhere without willing to pay for attorneys, which I can't afford, but I sure as hell intend to make sure that everybody finds out about this dodgy merchant.

They kept insisting the link was working and then, six months, later concede it isn't.

In any other industry it would be defined as fraud and there would be some form of compensation. But in affiliate marketing we have to accept it as the merchants are above the law

Thanks for your good luck wishes for the future. Talking about that, I might as well ask if you/anyone can help with another CJ merchant link we are unsure is tracking: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=54771

Cheers

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    All you can do is put up a web page that appears in Google whenever anyone searches on "Brian Tracy" and tell your story there. If enough of their potential customers find that page, they might get a sudden attack of the guilts and reimburse you for all those free banner impressions.

Frustrating, indeed. Have you contacted CJ directly? They should have an interest in this as well since, if you don't receive commissions, they don't receive their cut.

On your other tracking issue, it doesn't look as though they are using any kind of tracking "code" per say.
    Is it possible they just use cookies to track?

"'21 Success Secrets- FREE CD'

What were they supposed to pay for this hot item anyway?

Fred

I did CPC on GA. Lucky, I withdrew my ads because of low conversion. Only 6 clicks from 1,796 impressions with 1-6 average positions.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

If they've admitted that tracking was not working, they really should provide some level of compensation... even taking the average CJ conversion rate, average $ value and doing a rough calculation would be better than "oops... oh well, too bad for you."

Paul

Have contacted CJ numerous times about links not working. Initially they always deny that links are not tracking. Then I provide evidence - and keep providing it until they take note.

They are pure class: just respond with a one sentence email saying link is fixed now.

No consideration for the loss in income for us or the angst it has caused.

Will pursue these cases further and let you know how it goes but, after years of being scammed deliberately and inadvertently by internet companies I have zero faith.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread