What a Schock!
    What a Schock!

I discovered today, 15 Feb, that someone has stolen our site!

Finding it was accidental. An invalid click on a link for NutriSystem, who moved from CJ to LinkShare. I had changed all those link codes for NutriSystem, but the theft was made prior to the switch by the marketer. CJ alerts when there's an "invalid click". The thief had not changed the code.

In fact, it was stolen sometime between 14 Aug, when I posted Marjorie's Frozen Foods article and 21 Oct when – get this– www.foodall.info was registered to the perpetrator.

Marjorie's and my site is http://www.ingestandimbibe.com and the thief has copied all and re-registered under the name www.foodall.info.

I probably have no serious recourse, especially since (if the registration information is at all valid) the person is in China. But I've learned so much from others at this forum, I would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Here's data from WhoIs:
    Domain ID: D7791468-LRMS
    Domain Name: FOODALL.INFO
    Created On: 21-Oct-2004 16:42:06 UTC
    Last Updated On: 26-Nov-2004 18:57:03 UTC
    Expiration Date: 21-Oct-2005 16:42:06 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar: R183-LRMS
    Registrant ID: C7098999-LRMS
    Registrant Name: pyxhl
    Registrant Organization: pyxhl
    Registrant Street1:No.11 of Heng 2 Xiang, Lane 2
    Registrant City: Guangzhou
    Registrant State/Province: Guangdong
    Registrant Postal Code: 511400
    Registrant Country: CN
    Registrant Phone: +1.0000000000
    Registrant FAX: +1.0000000000
    Registrant Email: xhlofzxhl@hotpop.com

Admin, etc are the same.

Tried Google for the registrar. Plug in: R183-LRMS and you get Tierra Net, Inc. and a DBA = DomainDiscover.com
    http://www.domaindiscover.com/
    https://www.tierra.net/index?_sid=Fq...CWWZCuA2zyx5ET
    Delete all but: https://www.tierra.net and you get:
    https://www.tierra.net/index?_sid=dL...rIurXW0INoB00n

Can I get this person (pyxhl) SHUT DOWN? Should I write to the registrar with a request or (as I feel) with a Demand that he cancel and blackball and . . . what the hell can I do?

The person has created an account with Affiliate Window Ltd, and I have written to Kevin Brown of that company. So far I have found three accounts in addition to Domino's: Natures Own, Bag of Sweets, Hotel Chocolat. Should I write to those merchants as well as the Affiiliate Window Ltd?

RE affiliations:
    Here's partial data from View source:
    <!--START MERCHANT:merchant name Dominos Pizza from affiliatewindow.com.-->
    http: // http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid...=5684&id=46237

Best to you . . . John Boyd
    Last edited by Dynamoo; February 18th, 2005 at 04:27 PM.

And that's pretty weird: I did not put those smileys in there.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    They still have author's original name in the meta tags, sheeesh.

I would contact every account your signed up with on that site and show them the copiers URL. Any merchant that won't drop them I'd pull their links ASAP.

I would contact all parties involve. I've never had this happen--as far as I know...but I know I've read some good posts on this board about what recourse you have.

Do a search...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Thanks suzigeek . . .
    I tried a search as you suggest. The following thread came up:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...7&page=1&pp=25

Mostly there it is a person's content having been stolen. An Article or artwork. One person was willing to get out his 9mm Mauser. Now that sounds good.

I've posted the two URLs above. You can see, this is our entire site. The whole of the article archive, minus the three newer articles, the printer friendly versions, everything, every page.

Ads have been changed. But not my text above and below. On the Links page, for instance, http://www.foodall.info/Navigation/links.html you see my text above and below the thief's banners. I had Barewalls and Cooking.com. This person didn't even try to make sense.

BUT registered the alternate name and is hosting somewhere.

In the thread I found with the search, suzi, they were talking about writing a nice letter to the content thief. I want this person's registration cancelled and their site taken down.

What can I do?

What a shock
    I think you will have a pretty hard time getting this guy to stop or be shut down.

He is in Guangzhou China which is really the wild wild west. They copy everything there from Gucci handbags to CD's of Windows XP.... to websites.

I truly hope you are successful... but will be very surprised if you are.
    [color=black][b]Tom[/b][/color]
    [size=1][b][color=Blue][i]“Laughter is the sensation of feeling good all over and showing it principally in one place.” [/i][/color][/b][/size][color=Gray][size=1]
    [/size][/color]

Contact whoever you have to in order to get him/her shut down, but then also contact the government (yours, and China's, by the way ... send a message to their embassy). Your one case won't move them much, but over time, yes, it does work. I have lived in a number of different places around the world, and I've seen the Wild West mentality as far as copyrighting goes. But then I've also seen it shut down. Well, to a degree. At least people were looking over their shoulder. After having seen what I had seen, I was surprised that I ever saw it being shut down to the degree that it was, but I did. It all comes from the top. If China wants to be part of the international community, then its government will eventually clamp down on such things (though not yet, of course... in the famous words of St. Augustine: "Lord, make me chaste... but just not yet.") Still, you can be another little straw on the camel's back.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Also file a DMCA complaint with Google and the other engines. Doom the thief to obscurity!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Also, file a Google fraud complaint to let them know that someone is "mirroring" your site without your approval. Typically Google only allows one exact copy of any page, so when they see two exactly the same they block all but one. You want to warn them so that the one that stays in their database is YOURS not the copiers. That will also trigger Google to block the entire copier site, which will greatly reduce their incentive to do this kind of thing to other sites.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    The first thing you need to do if you haven't already is save a copy of all pages from the copiers site. That way you still have proof if things suddenly disappear.

Personally I don't bother contacting the copier any longer. I did it once. They did remove the copied material. They also put it back up a few months later. That really annoyed me. They wound up losing their domain for their efforts.

You should contact all Merchants, Networks, Google (I see they are also running google ads), etc associated with their site. Contact any and every revenue source on that site. You can also report it to the abuse department of the other major SE's.

A website that has had all their revenue sources terminated isn't going to do them much good. Be sure though to report it to the Networks also.

Doing a look up of their IP address shows it appears to be a hosting company in the US, so you might be in luck here. Reverse DNS is showing digimaxhosting.com and the abuse contact info is:

OrgAbuseHandle: EAA12-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Ezzi Abuse Account
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-866-438-3994
    OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@ezzi.net

Any complaints to digimaxhosting will probably be bumped up to ezzi.net. Anyway, this is where you want to file DMCA complaints. Again be sure to snag yourself copies of their site before filing a complaint. The more info you provide showing the theft and that you had first use the faster the process is likely to move along. There is a very specific format hosting companies need you to file a complaint, so google for DMCA to get the format (you wind up having to send it in the form of an affidavit). This will speed the process up also.

Good luck!

Kellie beat me to it - a DMCA complaint to the host will probably be the quickest route to getting it canned. The ezzi.net details are correct.

Complaining to Google will only remove the site from the index, but in fact the DMCA process is pretty much the same for everything.

But.. definitely contact the networks first and show them the evidence and that way they should lose any commissions too. If necessary, you can use archive.org to demonstrate prior art.

I visited one of your sites the other day! I recognise your name
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

In case you've never filed one, a DMCA complaint looks something like this:

Sender Information:
    [your details]

Recipient Information:
    [their details, e.g. the host or a search engine]

[date]

Dear Sir or Madam,

1. The copyrighted work at issue is the text that appears on several pages:
    a. [list your pages]
    b. [list your pages]

2. [For a complaint to the HOST:] The web pages with the unauthorized material are:
    a. [list their pages]
    b. [list their pages]

..or..

2. [For a complaint to GOOGLE:] The search query and web pages with the unauthorized material are:
    a. Search Query: SEARCH TERM Infringing Web Page: [their web page]
    b. Search Query: SEARCH TERM Infringing Web Page: [their web page]

3. My contact information: [your details]

4. Infringer's Contact Information: [the site copier's details including address, email and fax numbers if you can find them]

5. I, [your name], have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above on the allegedly infringing web pages is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

6. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

[Add any ancillary or supporting information]

[Your contact details]
    [Your physical signature unless agreed otherwise by recipient]
    Points 5 and 6 are the important bit as that is where you make your assertion. For points 1 and 2 you may need to alter these depending on circumstances. It is not necessary to quote exactly what has been copied in cases where it is self-evident, but if it is an excerpt of text from your site then you should. (In this case it is the entire site, and you should state that clearly).

I send mine as a PDF document with my legal signature in, or alternatively you can fax it or send it by snail mail. The recipient may be happy with other forms of authentication if you check.

Chilling Effects is a good place to browse for DMCA notices if you are unsure.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

they desrve to be friggin pistol whipped

Duplicate Content filiter will be triggered. You will lose your ranking in Google.

Read here: http://www.seologic.com/faq/dmca-notifications.php

Also Try www.google.com/dmca.html
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

I had a portion of my website copied once and the guy contacted me for a link exchange. The funny part is that the section that he stole was actually the link exchange part. He copied everything but the logo. However, I was lucky enough that he replied to my email and eventhough he wouldn't take it down, he did end up paying me some money for it. However, the guy was not from China, so I guess that played a big role in him ending up paying me for what he stole.

I suggest that you do what everyone else said before and do a combination of all the things said to best nail him. Since he is from China, you can't do anything else to him other than hurt him from this side.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbalkent
    they desrve to be friggin pistol whipped
    Before and after you shoot them.

Thank you seems so weak a reply
    . . . Marjorie is really devasted by this . . . event! I'm deeply touched by your assistance and kind observations on this forum. Imagine, 65 yrs old and such a loner, this pouring out of help is new and wonderful. Thank you.

Working awfully hard these few weeks. Annual Report for a major client of 30 yrs. Graphics, typesetting. Hard to keep up with the "event" as well.

Couple thoughts and questions:

Kellie, Ms. B, I always read your posts in this forum with care. Thanks for your attention here. "save a copy of all pages from the copiers site" is quite a task. Perhaps a program I've seen (PC only) called htTrack? Copies a site for backup, but might be defeated by not having a login code. Realize: The theft includes 33 of Marjorie's articles, many 2-pagers, all with our added "Did you know?" humorous add on. Also sale item pages: posters, women artists, books. Links page, contact and feedback pages (where the links to email have been changed to boxes created by the thief). Got be getting to 100 pages, I think. How to copy THAT? Funny . . . like stealing it back!

"I see they are also running google ads" NOT. Sorry, you had to be at the true, real, original (http://www.ingestandimbibe.com) The addition of Google ads to our sites was a marathon effort beginning in early November when we first got our code from the G.

Okay: Ezzi.net will hear from me. Tierra Net Inc is the registrar. Spoke to them on 800 # and have to get a court order to shut this off at that point, even though they put up the theft and the real side by side and see the truth.

Affiliate Window Ltd is where the thief has set up an account and "joined" at least four merchants. I have responses to share from Kevin Brown, CEO.

Got to pause for work now.

(Moderator: Could you please edit my first post in this thread? Add word space after the colons in the quote from the registrar. I found this makes the smilies go away. Please? If you can do this, then you might delete the second post which wouldn't make sense any more.)

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    Since he is from China, you can't do anything else to him other than hurt him from this side.
    - - - - -

Hey, if he is from China, maybe you could just started posting on his behalf in every 'Free China' and 'Democracy In China' forum you can find........ with a little luck, he'll be donating organs to the gray market in a couple months.

You don't need a court order for ezzi.net, you just need to file a DMCA complaint which basically contains an affidavit asserting your rights to the work. The majority of hosts will respond quite quickly and terminate the account.

Thanks again
    Dynamoo, Leader, Ms. B, all you folks . . .
    Thanks again for your attention to this thread and our predicament. Your research and experience is very helpful. Dynamoo, posting that description and suggestions for the complaint will be very valuable.

One thing that seems essential is to get a copy of all the pages at foodall.info, the stolen version of our site. Clearly recommended here. I mentioned that I once had a program for PC that I used at the studio (where I have access to Windows platform) called htTrack, but I think that required a log in to ftp. Worked for me to periodically back up the seven sites I run for Marjorie. Gone now after a crash of that PC.

A helpful person, Shannon, wrote Marjorie with an attached copy (so I understand) of the stolen site, but it didn't come through to me when she tried to forward it. She's a bit more on the learning curve than I am. I'll try to email Shannon from home here.

Bearing in mind that I'm on Mac sys 8.6, is there a suggestion for how I could effect this capture?

Affiliate Window Ltd is the company the perp's set up an account through. Run by a Kevin Brown who says he can't get involved. Well, he knows about it now from several emails I've sent and has to live with himself somehow. Seems to me, once the door is open it can't be shut. Did a search here on the company name and found only one thread from a year ago. No particular help.

If I got it right, everything is on hold until I can be sure I have a copy of the offense for any future proof of what has been done. (?) Seems I need to do back again what's been done to us!

Best to you, and more to come . . . John Boyd

(BTW: thanks, moderator, for putting in those word spaces. Now I found out how to put in an avatar, but can't locate where to create a signature. Duh!)

Affiliate Window are a pretty decent bunch, however I've had the same problem with a site copier, and they weren't interested then either. There's usually an Affiliate Window rep around in this forum where you could raise the issue in a public forum.

I've got a Stuffit archive of the site which your Mac should be able to read, send me a PM with your email addy and I can send it to you.

Wonderful of you, Dynamoo, however, duh!, I've never PMed in any forum I follow and don't seem to find how or an FAQ on the subject. Sorry . . . I'm laughing at me with you. Under my name, where it says, "Newbie" ? well . . .

Note, I couldn't find how to setup a signature, either. Yikes!

Best to you . . . John

I found the answer, Dynamoo. I don't have 50 posts.

email = (removed now)

If you feel it is indiscreet, you could delete this post after you access it, right?

Maybe that's the answer for the signature also?

Best to you . . . and thanks, again, john
    Last edited by Dynamoo; February 20th, 2005 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Removed email address as no longer needed

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread