Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Is This an Improvement?
    Got a new offer from a CJ merchant.

Current offer is:
    Action Referral Period 60 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences 1 time(s)
    Commission 10.00%
    This tells me that as long as the SAME customer doesn't keep buying, I get 10% (not bad!) with 60 days (not bad)

The new offer is:

Action Referral Period 30 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences Unlimited
    Commission 7.50%
    Now I get less commission in half the time, but that ONE customer can buy as many times as he wants.

Do we keep sending the SAME people to merchants all the time where this is important?

or all in all - will I be getting less $$$

http and a telephoto
    Depends on your site. I get repeat traffic and unlimited referrals are important to me. A one time action effectively cancels your cookie once the purchase is made. Wouldn't a 30 day get renewed when they came back?
    Last edited by loxly; February 15th, 2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: darn new keyboard
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

if this is regarding products that get used up and re-ordered quickly it could be just as good as before if not better.

I've definitely seen worse.

I don't know, that's why I asked.

There's a Target across the street. Yes I go more than once twice a month.

But there's always "30,000" people there along with myself.

I'm thinking I'd rather get the shear numbers then just the few repeaters.

they sell dormatory stuff - but I was hoping to get an all-encompassing formula for if this ever comes up again

Usually, there's only TWO variables - they up the commish and lower the cookie

this has a 3rd variable (occurances) that's throwing me for a loop

http and a telephoto
    Oh yeah, and less commission is never better.
    Deborah Carney

Must be better! I got a lot of sales from repeat users. Normally I avoid merchants who offer 1 time occurrence, especially when they offer coupon for next purchase to their customers.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    they sell dormatory stuff - but I was hoping to get an all-encompassing formula for if this ever comes up again

Usually, there's only TWO variables - they up the commish and lower the cookie

this has a 3rd variable (occurances) that's throwing me for a loop
    Chance are; if they threw occurances into the formula it was for a reason. The reason being; they must have a lot of repeat customers. Otherwise, I doubt it would have been an issue.

Do you sell a lot for this merchant? If you do, maybe you could negotiate a better commission structure.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Chance are; if they threw occurances into the formula it was for a reason. The reason being; they must have a lot of repeat customers. Otherwise, I doubt it would have been an issue.
    Either that, or they're trying to distract from the lower commission and/or make it seem more palatable.

With a product like dorm supplies, I personally doubt anyone would be buying more in only 30 days...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager
    It seems like that easy answer to everything... Test, Test, Test...:-) After 30 days you'll start to see if the repeat buyers are there. I was taught, before i launched as a merchant, (and believe)----never lower the commission, return visit period, or anything regarding payments... it's a turnoff for affiliates. These guys are crazy...

Jeff (FSO)

we've been definitely known to leave for even less

If you could see me... there'd be smoke commin' out my ears!!!

The new offer was a TESt to see if anyone would respond!!

I DID respond! I told them "The first thing the new team does is lower the commish and cookies?? You're out of here!!"

They replied:

We apologize for any misunderstanding, but the new program will not be lower commissioned, the replacement program that you were sent was to give affiliates incentive to respond to us, hence the (until responded to email) at the end of the new program name. If we were to just leave every affiliate in the normal 10% commission structure, they have no reason to respond to us to be placed in our managed 10% structure. To reiterate, the 7.5% commission structure was intentionally set up to weed out those that don't care about our program and to give an incentive for the affiliates that would like to continue a relationship in the future. Our new marketing program is looking to maintain strong, profitable relationships. Please reconsider your decision.

Aargh! I already removed their links!

Todd...

Let's weed out merchants who think it's acceptable to post "phoney offers" in CJ.

Geez, never thought I'd have to request THAT!
    Last edited by Billy Kay; February 20th, 2005 at 10:47 PM. Reason: changed phoney terms to phoney offers

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Todd...

Let's weed out merchants who think it's acceptable to post "phoney terms" in CJ.
    Yeah, this I totally agree with.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    More flaws in the aff manager for that programs thinking:

1. People do consider the change in terms and don't always contact the aff manager screaming
    2. People that are converting the program and actively working it are most likely to hit the drop button rather than contact the aff manager
    3. Did this program email it's aff base to ask questions and see "who is active". No it didn't.
    4. Will the folks that accepted the offer be dropped because they didn't email complaining? Will they be offered the corrected terms again?

And lastly, how about the system in place that autoaccepts the offer if it isn't declined? Anyone that let the offer autoaccept so they had better terms for longer is booted?

It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I hope an affiliate manager gets fired.
    Deborah Carney

Affiliate Manager
    unbelievable!
    i'm new to all of this but there has to be at least 20 better ways to see if you're affiliate partners are interested!

Wow!

Jeff (FSO)

http and a telephoto
    Just sent the AM a mesasge that I expect updated terms sometime today I wonder if he will email me back?
    Deborah Carney

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Depends on the merchant
    Hi Billy,

I truly think it all depends on that particular merchant. If it's the type of retailer that one might actually frequent, then you'll probably end up making more in the long run. However, if it's the type of thing that isn't a collector's item, not something that someone might buy more than 1 of within a certain time frame (like once every few years etc) then you're probably at a loss.

You'll have to take a look at the different probabilities and do the math (which I know you're great at!)

All the best,

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Wait - let me strike my last comment from the record - I just read the rest of the thread (gee, I guess I should have done that BEFORE running my mouth - or fingers in this case) and I see now that the AM posted it as a test. Wow. Talk about some interesting tactics. Remind me not to do what that AM did.

Both sides of the story: They responded. Excuse? Or Naivete? You can decide on your own.

I am sorry for contacting you when you asked us not to, but it would appear that you think we are trying to pull one over on all our affiliates... a conspiracy against the people that we are working with. I have been working with the CJ system for literally 2 weeks, and it is pretty much in shambles with regard to our account. We have affiliates with zero earnings in Indonesia that were "Network recruited" that may have never opened their CJ account since they set it up. Right now we have over 1,000 affiliates, and a great deal of them were network recruited and probably could care less about our account, so in order to actually slim down our numbers, we have initiated the temporary program that will be expired in the near future in order that we get a firm footing with only affiliates that are going to care about our account and their own.

Please respond with what you consider to be devious about the process we are trying to work out as I, personally, am new to this entire process, and I am trying to fix whatever you feel is broken, but it is hard when it is an intimidating mass of experienced affiliates with little patience for inexperience.

I genuinely look forward to hearing how we can make our program better and stronger in the CJ system.

Best regards,

Kevin

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They got whacked with the wrong tricks for clicks rollodex file. Step one for any program launch is to beg for a forum at ABW and face the music armed with prover conversion ratio and mastery of the CJ tracking system. Then learn about contolling landing pages, not how to weed out dead, dying or double dipping sleezebag network recruited affiliates.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

devious? putting out a phony offer to shake up the troops isn't devious?

no, probably just stupid.

keep an eye on them.

What's a network recruited affiliate?

network recruited affiliate=CJ Spam

"Hi we think your site is a perfect match for merchant so and so - join today"

"Network recruited" are affiliates that signed up through CJ. "Merchant recruited" are affiliates that clicked through to CJ from a link at the merchant's site and then joined the affiliate program.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast