ABW Ambassador
    Datafeed updates
    I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but I am just getting
    into using the datafeeds, and think it would be a good idea if there was
    a date showing next to the datafeeds when they were last updated. The
    only way to know now if they have been updated is to download them
    again to check the date inside the datafeed.

I mentioned this back on December 20th. Brian said they would try to 'work it in there'.

Must be at the end of a long list.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

If you are referring to FTP you can tell by the date in a details view.

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I've applied to FTP access with one of the merchants to see what details are
    available before I download. Thank you.

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I've gotten ftp access to a few datafeeds, and see that it does show the
    date it was updated. I'll apply for ftp access for all datafeeds from now on.

I just automate the download and uploading process and dont bother checking the dates, surrently updating once every week or so but given the frequency that merchants are updating the datafeeds you can prolly get aware with once per month.

You could automate the download/upload and check the last update date during the import and abort if its already current.

ABW Ambassador
    That wouldn't work with me, many of the datafeeds need to be manually edited
    before they would fit in right on my site. Many of the datafeeds use characters
    in the custom category fields that wouldn't look right in a url.

Eeek! If I have to edit the datafeed I drop the merchant! I am using 10 datafeeds from SAS at the moment and none of them required me to edit the feed in any way and I havent noticed any issues with the custom fields yet either. I use a cfg file to set the field used in the datfeed for link,image,description, bigimage etc so I do a brief datafeed inspection prior to uploading and set the appropriate fields and add the ftp details to the autoupdate script.

I hope to eventually be using all the datafeeds from SAS and have done a brief perusal of most and dont anticipate any problems.

ABW Ambassador
    Most datafeeds don't require a lot of editing, the ones that do I just open them in Notepad and do a search and replace, only takes a minute to do and makes the
    url's much better. Many of the custom fields have >'s or &'s or apostrophes in them, and I don't
    want these showing up in my urls. I'm just starting with datafeeds and don't know a
    lot, I'm sure there would probably be a way to automate this if I knew how. But I'm up
    to 15 datafeeds now, just started added them to a new site within the last month or so, and have had two sales so far this month with no advertising. It's not a lot, but it's a start, and it didn't cost me anything to get these sales. I'm planning for the long term and hoping to have a good Christmas season later this year. As I add more datafeeds and need to start updating them, I'll probably wish I automated this more, but I record the first time I download a datafeed what changes I need to make, so it should go pretty fast with future updates. I'll just need to keep track of when new datafeeds come out so I can update them on my site.

Yes automatic notification of new merchants with datafeeds would be a great idea (SAS Management - HINT) also notification of datafeed updates would be nice as well. My personal preference is to only use merchants with datafeeds as I dont like to make sites with just banner adds on them and a single data feed really gives you enough content to setup a single site, IMHO

Eeek! If I have to edit the datafeed I drop the merchant!
    atoning,

That's not a good idea.

I don't see that as an excuse to drop a merchant.

Sometimes you must edit the datafeed in order to be unlike the rest of the other affiliates with the same datafeed.

You must think out side of the "I just automate the download and uploading process and dont bother checking the dates" that you posted on the other thread.

Sal.

Note: I'm at least trying to help you with this post you made: "Is it possible for the powers that be to relax the 50 post minimum before reading and responding to PMs? I have a PM but cant read it cause I havent posted 50 messages!"

Stick around, keep on learning and posting and you will soon have your 51th post made.

[QUOTE=Mr. Sal]atoning,

That's not a good idea.

I don't see that as an excuse to drop a merchant.

I guess we all do it a little differently but I think the reality is that we have to automate the update process if we are going to be able to get a significant number of sites up. We also have to automate the update process particularly if the merchant updates thier feed regularly. If you have 20 or more feeds then if you have top stop and fiddle with the feeds before uploading well I just think thats a terribly inefficient way of getting the job done.

My personal goal is to have over 100 datafeed driven sites up in 6 months or so and there is no way I am going to stop and edit DFs.

I also think that we really shouldnt need to edit the DF if you can script anyway (PHP, ASP ,JSP whatever) as you can code the ability tio handle DF probs directly into the script/site.

But at any rate I am newbie so what do I know :-)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread