Ok I just downloaded a txt file from zzounds opened it up was a huge mess LOL.. so opened it in excel and it nicely was tabled..

I bought webmerge today, not sure what the next step is..

Now the hair pulling begins.. im so used to just building pages by hand..

Ok got theprogram, got the datafeed.. now do i go off first and great a INDEX template?

Like lets say I was going to have

on my index page categories down the side like

Electric Guitars
    Acoustic Guitars
    Bass Guitars

and when the person clicked on that it took them to a page where it would then list on the left hand side links of all the types of electric guitars and then when you clicked say on LES PAUl. it would take you to the next page and display all the LES PAUL Guitars/images/descripions.

Do i go make that first? in a template by hand or will webmerge do this, lay it out for me the way i want it?

Second.. I noticed the txt file is FULL of every instrument from zzounds.. at this time i dont wish to do that.. i just want to build a site around the Guitars

So do i have to go in manually by hand into the txt file ( excel) and figure out whats not a guitar in there and delete it? before i can use the txt file?

Im really confused... any help from any other ZZOUNDS affiliates who use WEBMERGE too would be appreciated.

thanks

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I am a consultant for zZounds and I think part of the problem you are having is due to a lack of categories in the feed. I have asked them to redo the feed and it is in progress. Other affiliates are able to work with the feed but I don't know webmerge so I am not sure exactly how they are doing it. I hope someone can give you some help.

If no one answers you here, then post in my 5 Star forum where other zZounds affiliates should be willing to give you some tips.
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=4406070493

http and a telephoto
    LastHope, You really should go look in the WebMerge forum, where there are posted a couple of excellent step-by-step tutorials on how to get started with WebMerge. Although the zzonunds feed isn't specifically talked about, you can ask technical questions about WebMerge and get answers from some very knowledgable and helpful people.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I got a email today to say they have updated the feed ,, its available today

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loxly:
    LastHope, You really should go look in the WebMerge forum, where there are posted a couple of excellent step-by-step tutorials on how to get started with WebMerge. Although the zzonunds feed isn't specifically talked about, you can ask technical questions about WebMerge and get answers from some very knowledgable and helpful people. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks loxly

ok so this is where i am at

I went to

http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

followed his demo downloaded his zip file works with 20 products from funcollectibles something like that..

used his premade index_template and Product_template

did his 2 tier tutorial. worked like a charm create 20 pages...

NOw.... the hard part!!

I have opened up my ZZOUNDS file in excel.. and am tying to dwindle it down to 20 rows.. just so I can do a test run.. to see if his template tags work with this datafeed or wether his templates only had tags in them to work with his demo datafeed...

I think the answer is going to be demo data feed.

Have you been able to see how the templates work with data feeds? If not, you probably ought to spend some more time learning how they work.

Once you pare the zzsounds feed down to 20 records, you should be able to see which field names are the same in zzsounds, and collectables. If there are differences, you need to change the templates to match.

Fred

Thanks.

Yeah I think i have figured it out somewhat now.. I dwindled my zzounds txt file down to just any old 20 entries.. and run it through using the standard demo templates.. it created a 2 tier thing.. noticed images were not showing nor were urls properly working.. so i opened up both the demo in excel and the zzounds in excell and noticed the tags are designed based on the HEADERS in the datafeed..

Next step is to figure out how to display 2 products from the same category on the same page. like one above the other...

I have manged to get this far..

I have a index listing 20 produts based on the field NAME

so it will say

audiowhatever 1
    audio-bass whatever
    drum-whatevet

when you click on one of them it takes you to the DETAIL PRODUCT template which displays that ITEM..

now i will try to figure out how to have it so that

if i have on my index page the word

7 string guitars

and you click on it..

instead of it taking you to the DETAIL PRODUCT page and only showing

one 7 string guitar pic and desctiption

it will show all of zzounds 7 string guitars on that page one beloe the other. pic for each etc..

that i think is going to be the tricky bit..

im happy with how far i have got so far...

Im wondering if there are any good places on the net that SELL WEBMERGE TEMPLATES.. otherwise im going to have to go into an editor and from scratch design my own template.. or i guess i could just buy a template, then insert the tags into it where i want things to show..

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread