Why Do Merchants NOT Do Direct Deposit ?
    I sometimes leave checks in my desk draw for a couple months . I have some merchants that offer Direct Deposit and it is nice.

Why would a merchant not do Direct Deposit for their Affiliates?

Is it costly?
    Is it complicated?
    Is it not easier than printing checks?

I'm not complaining, Honest I'm NOT, I'm still happy i have the checks. I just wish all my merchants did direct deposit.

If someone could tell me why it would not be in the merchants best interest or if a merchant could comment why they have chosen not.
    dave

All of the above. Actually there are several programs available but depending on the size of the merchant the cost of check, envelop and stamp is less. Sometimes they don't include the cost of labor in the calculation. But look at the great return. If they ACHed you the money it is out of their account. Right now they are having the pleasure of gathering interest on the money you haven't cashed.

Wish I was making enough that cashing a few paychecks don't make a difference!

ABW Ambassador
    I have $5000 in cheques sitting here. I've been unwell and can't get to the bank but because they're international cheques, only I can deposit them. I'm not sure what to do.

One of the reasons my merchant went with Share A Sale was the direct deposit. They were not interested in writing out hundreds if not thousands of checks.

Poopie
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    kapsat,

One possible explanation, or at least a part in the whole deal is affiliate participation. Just as affiliates communicate here on ABW, merchants also have their own in-communication and talk about what works, how to improve programs, etc...

Since we have offered direct deposit which is well over a year, including parts of europe, canada, and australia... less than 25% or so of qualified affiliates have signed up for the service - despite the fact that it is the fastest and easiest way to receive commissions. I am guessing that there are concerns from the affiliate side, probably mostly due to security/identity concerns, etc...

I'm not suggesting that this is the only reason why... but it is possible that the response rate to this kind of service has been low and that merchants share that info with one another. It certainly isn't free to setup a direct deposit system, and it does take resources and security measures to pull off... so it is possible that they might not see the cost/benefit considering other merchants feedback, etc... As a general rule, from a merchant perspective... I do think that it (direct deposit) at least APPEARS and may actually be more costly, more complicated, and not as easy to pull of as a check system. Utilizing a network that provides direct deposit as a payment method is probably the easiest way to work this in.

Another factor is the perceived benefit from the merchant perspective of having the check (with their brand name on it) being sent to you as a constant reminder to you that you are earning from their program. Direct Deposits are great, I agree, but they are not as glamourous when they are listed on a bank account like "241057TRANDEP", etc... instead of a nice branded check. Affiliates (or anyone receiving a bank transfer) occasionally are confused as to why that money showed up, etc...

Again, none of these individually make up an answer to your question... and if I were ever recommending a practice - I would definitely recommend that a merchant setup auto-deposit. But it isn't a simple task like writing up a check is....and I can understand why some do not. Of course, I would also recommend that affiliates all participate in direct deposit where available.... but most choose not to.

I would disagree that "interest on the money in the account" has any bearing on the decision. But, then again that's just my opinion. With interest rates so low it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Hi Brian. While your on the topic of commissions, how long does it generally take to "process" commissions from a merchant?

Since we have offered direct deposit which is well over a year, including parts of europe, canada, and australia... less than 25% or so of qualified affiliates have signed up for the service - despite the fact that it is the fastest and easiest way to receive commissions. I am guessing that there are concerns from the affiliate side, probably mostly due to security/identity concerns, etc... ~ Brian ShareASale
    From affiliate perfective especially for non US, to cash in a small check is not worth a penny considering that sometime the bank fee is higher than the nominal value of the check. Many times I was in a position of not expecting to receive checks from Merchants or Networks and I more likely chose to raise the minimum payment

If ShareASale extends direct deposit to the rest of the world, I bet that affiliates utilizing the service would be doubled. More importantly that affiliates will be encouraged to sign up and promoting more merchants.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread