Question Apache Rewrites For The New CJ Links?
    I know Norton blocks the old CJ qksrv.net links, but I was wondering if you need to use apache rewrites with the new CJ links? (eg., jdoq***.com)

overkill? the idea was to bypass the Norton problem with a new url.

anyone know the latest status on this? sure, cj has a whole bunch of new domains and noone uses qksrv anymore - but surely norton has been tracking those new cj URLs and adding them to the list of blocked links/ads, no?

I don't have norton, so I can't test it - but I also don't see how a simple URL change can help since all norton has to do is have someone sign up at to be an affiliate at cj to discover all the new urls and then block those the same way they do qksrv.net

Are there any other methods of bypassing Norton so that our pages render the way we designed them to, with links that work and images that show?

Norton no longer has the ad blocking on by default is my understanding, so the problem isn't quite as severe as it used to be. That said, I don't know if they're blocking the new domains or no. Then there are all the people with the old Norton that had the blocking on by default, so this would still be very good to know.

but don't the new domains redirect through qksrv anyway?

@hardwaregeek -
    so far as I understand the issue, it's okay if the new urls redirect to qksrv (and I don't know if that is, in fact, what they do) because the norton problem has to do with it stripping out the qksrv links and images from your web pages before it hits the browser. If the new cj domains aren't being targeted (anyone know more about this?), then the page should render fine in the browser, and the browser would handle the redirect to qksrv w/o norton's interference (someone stop me if i'm wrong about this!)

@stephfoster -
    it's great that norton doesn't have ad blocking on by default anymore (although I'm sure a lot of folks still turn it on), but, as you mentioned, there is still a huge install base of people whose norton had ad blocking turned on by default. Couple that with the fact that almost every new computer over the past year or two ships with norton preinstalled on it doesn't bode well for affiliates.

@everyone -
    Is it still true that ShareASale links don't get blocked at all by norton?

-Emily

Exclamation
    also, if I remember right, Norton had the capability of blocking standard ad graphics sizes.

I can tell you this much. I've been doing some testing for about a week now with a merchant who is on both CJ and SAS. I got about 5 sales with them in the several months I was with them on CJ. I've had 5 sales in the past three days with them through SAS.

I think that points to a pretty serious problem of one kind or another. It's not a lot of data, but I think the change is dramatic enough to mean something, since nothing else was changed.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread