Question Affiliate links being erased by who?
    In the past several days I have become aware that on some computers, sometimes, affiliate creative links are being replaced by blank spaces.
    I posted a thred at the Midnight Cafe and "ad blockers and Norton" were suspected. What I have yet to learn is why only some creatives are erased and others remain??? My wife and I called up the same page on our puters, at the same time, and both with IE. She found displayed only one of seven creatives. I had all eight displayed. On another page of the same site we both could view all the creatives. A friend notified me that he had gone to one of my sites and found no links. I asked another friend to view the site and all the creatives were visable.
    If an ad blocker is at work, I want to know the secret that enableled those creatives to remain visable on my wife's puter. None of us want our customers to become frustrated ex-visitors.

Terrie

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Without knowing the specifics of each graphic, all I can say is:

Examine the one that was missed on your wife's computer and see what's different about it. Link destination? Size of graphic?

There has to be some difference that's making the adblocker miss it, which you can probably discern if you stare at the code enough...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Unhappy Upon early inspection:
    SAS links tend to stand up to this "blocker". CJ, linkshare and performics seem to be more likely to vanish, and it apparently isn't a (CJ) "new window" issue. The page with one creative remaining, a gardening site, all links were 125X125. It was a Performics link, NatureHills, that was visable with all the rest CJ creatives, that had vanished. On her "Lingerie" site, all five SAS links were visable and one Linkshare creative of equal size had disapperared.

On my plus size lingerie site all full banners from SAS were visable with banners from LinkShare and CJ not to be found.

While I don't have time (or the heart) right now to peruse my 100+ pages,
    I would guess that I have many hundreds of links that are victim and I'm either going to find a quick fix or redesign about one hundred pages to text links. ouch!

She just bought her puter from Tiger and I wonder what it is that they loaded in there, seeing that they are big in the affiliate market.

Terrie
    Last edited by phantomcat; February 17th, 2005 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Pandering to a merchant who is online

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    What I have yet to learn is why only some creatives are erased and others remain???
    The short answer to this is that the software that was written for this (the ad blocking software) is extremely poorly written in almost every case. They routinely eliminate non-ads from pages, and forget to detect real ads. There has been a lot of documentation over the years on this. So - not only are they walking a really thin line in terms of business ethics, but they also have a faulty product. Makes for a mess of a page and I can't figure out why anyone would want to have it turned on.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Angry links wiped out
    It seems that SAS is immune from this "preditor" Brian. CJ is almost entirely wiped out, with Linkshare and Performics suffeing respectively.

I have done a quick search on her puter and have thus far found over one hundred blank holes were links used to live, (And I say that the Networks are suffering) gasp!
    Last edited by phantomcat; February 17th, 2005 at 12:36 AM. Reason: PS

PS

I found a major contributor to the problem in Norton Ad Blocker but she still seems to be blocking about 10% of the links. I wonder how much aggrivation Norton costs their clients and how much money they cost the merchants and affiliates?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcat
    PS

I found a major contributor to the problem in Norton Ad Blocker but she still seems to be blocking about 10% of the links. I wonder how much aggrivation Norton costs their clients and how much money they cost the merchants and affiliates?
    Terrie,

The Ad Blocker, the KazzaLite and other programs can cause that problem by writing to the .host file.
    Read more about it, here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=14244

Sal.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    > or redesign about one hundred pages to text links.

I guess you're unaware that Norton's removes text adverts from ages too, huh?

And for those of you who don't think the HOSTS file is a significant problem, just ONE of my websites had 496 visitors yesterday who had a hosts file that blocks qksrv.net (CJ).

Other visitor/parasite stats:
    MySearch 1095
    Transponder 447
    NewDotNet 270
    SaveNow 126

Before I tracked down Nortons giant "eraser" I replaced the then "invisable" creatives with text links and they did work, in this case, on that one puter. I guess you are saying that another adblocker, or Norton under different circumstances will snuff out the text links?
    I feel as though, as I lay the last brick on my new office building, Norton is on the oposite side and is lining up his/its wrecking ball.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread