Affiliate Program Set up
    Hi everyone:

I am new to the affiliate marketing side of the equation, although I am experienced in the affiliate manager side.

Somebody who owns a company asked me to set up an affiliate program for him and then manage it.

It's my understanding that there are 2 parts: the software and the network.

Can anyone recommend what software is best? software vs. web-based, one-time fee vs. monthly fee. I want something flexible but not to pricey.

Once that is set up what network is best to go with. (Or, does the network replace the need for software.

It is a niche product that has a patent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Scott

Brian,

Welcome to the other side...

These same questions were pondered by my client and I. The first thing we did was look at shopping carts. From a user standpoint we selected the Pinnacle cart system. Although it was a lttle more expensive than many available, the backend for product and site composition was very easy for my know nothing about computer business owner. Their support on setup and answering questions is top notch.

I have setup the site and cart which by the way has a built in affiilaite program. But we decided to go with a network to manage the affiliates, commisions, tracking and payment. I feel that affiliates are happier getting one check a month and I know my owner was not wanting to write out those checks himself.

We choose ShareASale which does a fine job of tracking sales.

Our products are kind of the Niche market too.

Time will tell how it works for us, but I think for my client and our affiliates, we have chosen a good setup.

Welcome to ABW

Allen Nance
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Hi Allen:

Thanks for the information. I think the client already has a shopping cart (since his site already is in business so to speak). I think he has NetSuite if I'm not mistaken.

He wants to add in an affiliate program.

My only problem I have recommending a network is because of the niche nature of the product. I feel the only affiliates that are in his specific business will be able to bring him business. I would probably have to personally contact these potential affiliates to get them to promote my client. Am I missing something here?

Did you look at any affiliate software that was independent of a network (ie. affiliateshop.com)?

Thanks for the welcome.

Brian

Brian,

We didn't look at independent software for just affiliate management. I guess with your niche program youíre going to have to hammer the affiliates one by one whether using an independent or network tracking solution.

Let me give you an affiliateís perspective since I have been doing that part of the business since 1998.

I have quite a few independent merchants that use either their own shopping cart or other independent tracking software. As an affiliate itís a pain in the rear to check each and every one of those merchants continually for reports. Then having to ask them for a check when they don't send them in a timely manner.

Iím not so sure how other affiliates feel, but for me, knowing that the check will get to me and ease of getting reports from a few sources is better than having to check 50 to 100 independents.

ShareASale offers the best of both. Low start-up, good tracking and (not sure) and in your description you can be very clear on what types of affiliates you are looking for.

Heck Iíve seen affiliates find a program and make a site just to work with it because the offer and product are good.

Limitations can be made even in a public network.
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread