What should I focus Now? Get More Traffic or Revise Web Copy
    Hi All,

My new site just get favorable rank in Yahoo and MSN. It get about 50 unique visitors per day.

Here is the this month's stat of my main affiliate link:

Impresions: 640
    Click Through : 57
    Click Through Ratio: 8.91%

And it haven't generate any sales

My questions is, what should I focus more to make the 1st sale?
    1. Generate more traffic, by working on inbound links, so it gets favorable rank in google? or
    2. Workin more on web copy, to increase the click through ratio?

Your advise is appreciated.

Regards,
    Sjarief

Yes

Someone on this board says a page a day keeps the creditors away (forgive me for not remembering offhand). So more links and more pages!

Good luck!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Both.

Your pitch. With 50 visitors/day you should have a sale *on average* every 2 days at least. (There may be a week of no sales and then a day with 5. At that traffic level, results can be really spikey! But it should average out to at least a 1% conversion ratio and preferably more!) So either you need to work on your pitch or you've got a dud merchant.

If the people aren't even clicking through to the merchant, though, that's a problem that's on your page, not theirs. (But if they click over to the merchant and still don't buy, it could either be you or the merchant that's the problem, depending...)

Your traffic. 50 hits a day isn't much. So some effort needs to go towards improving that, too.

Personally I would work on improving the conversion ratio first. More traffic isn't worth much until you know what to do with it...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Both.
    Personally I would work on improving the conversion ratio first. More traffic isn't worth much until you know what to do with it...
    So, what conversion ration should is good enough?

In my first post, I mention that the conversion ratio is 8.91%, so for every 100 visitor, at least 8 visitors click my affiliates link. Is it good enough?

Regards,
    Sjarief

ABW Ambassador
    Conversion rate being sales per 100 clicks to the merchant. If for every 100 clicks you're getting 2 sales, you're converting at 2%. I've always read the all around average is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5% - 2%.

Right now you have 57 clicks so that's not much to go on. And being you have favorable rank in Yahoo and MSN and only getting 50 unique a day, i'm guessing your site is not that big yet or a new site and with Google it might take awhile to get in nowadays. I would keep building, get more links in and check to see if you're doing everything you can to convert the traffic you are sending to the merchant.

I know 50 visitors/day is not much, but I still want to know if from every 100 visitors, 8 click my affiliates link is it good or not?

Or may be it was more simple if I put it this way:

On average, for every 100 visitors to your site, how many visitor click your affiliate link?

Regards,
    Sjarief

I recommend providing content that people want. It's really easy to get a lot of traffic and let it go to waste. Affiliates are notorious for wasting traffic on bad pages. Put yourself in the position of joe surfer and try to imagine if he'll enjoy your page. Forget the effort you put into it and consider what you need to provide to impress people. If you focus too much on getting traffic and not enough on providing valuable information, you'll simply waste the traffic. Your 50 visitors is a good start and I say milk it until you can start earning more revenue with the visitors you have. Once you can do that, then focus on getting more traffic.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    "I know 50 visitors/day is not much, but I still want to know if from every 100 visitors, 8 click my affiliates link is it good or not?"

I would think that's low. That would be 92 just leaving your site without clicking anything. You would have to check the pages people are landing on/thru which keywords and ask yourself why they're not clicking on thru. You could have a lingerie page with these words scattered on the page somewhere: women, panties, pics. So you might get traffic looking for pics of women in panties when all you have are links to merchants selling women's panties or products to that. You have to check if you're getting targetted traffic to your pages. Find out why people are not clicking thru.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with Packy. You should be getting way more people to click your links! After all, it's free to click a link, so people are a lot more willing to click than buy. Mistargeted traffic is one big cause of low clickthroughs, like Packy said.

What Snib said is right *to a degree* (and not the degree he's been talking about lately IMO). It's true that if your page is just a banner or link farm, it usually won't get much action. Those tend to repel people and make them hit Back, instead of propelling them on to click a link. On the other hand, it can be deadly if your content is so darned compelling that the people never are motivated to get around to clicking the PAY LINK! Or if they can't FIND the link you want them to click, because it's buried in a bunch of content (or worse, if it's off to the side or is just a banner).

Test a few different formats and sales pitches and see what does what...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks for all great input. I'll start reviewing my web copy.

BTW, my visitors not only click my affiliate links, some also click on PPC advertising in my site. Now, they generate about $1 a day.

What do you think? Does PPC Ads hurt my affiliates link? Should it be removed?

Regards,
    Sjarief

Does Cashcow.cc repel???
    "It's true that if your page is just a banner or link farm, it usually won't get much action. Those tend to repel people and make them hit Back..."

Does http://www.cashcow.cc fall under that catagory?? Eeek!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread