Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Exclamation cool stuff I learned at the expo
    As per Billy's request ...
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I didn't go but I learned:

1 - that Blair is a client of mrmerchant
    2 - and is a merchant in the downloadble iGive Application.
    3 - SandraR is a good spammer (see Ben's presentation)
    4 - Only top moxie applications were at the show.

Post what you learned ... either attending or not
    Continued Success,

Haiko

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I learned/am learning a LOT - I'll post one now - and more as I have time

When you watch the slick intro presentations for the big networks, it appears there are only 5 active affiliates (ebates, igive, upromise, fatwallet, etc). They are referred to as "Super Affiliates"

It confirms everything we've learned.

If you enter the booth and look around or attend some presentations, you learn more...

Merchants are indeed told to sign up with those "bad actors" (thanks for the phrase Ben), because of the shear volume they send. But they require "coddling", constant attention, and of course a serious increase in commissions. (I always wondered how eBates could offer someone a rebate of more then the commission we make)

BUT...

Merchants are also told not to put all their eggs in one basket. If Upromise has a "falling out" with a merchant and pulls them, it will seriously affect the merchant's bottom line.

Which brings us to... US

We're known as "core affiliates"

Merchants are told to develop relationships with us so that if eBates drops them, they have a "fall back plan"

Since there's millions of us "second fiddlers", and merchants can't develop a relationship with each of us, they look for a site that shows promise, that has the potential to grow, that will be long term.

What I learned is:

The merchants I send a LOT of money to, I already have a great relationship with, and they already treat me like a "super affiliate"

I have merchants that are a step below, I send them steady business, but not enough to come to ABW and say "Wow, guess how huch I made with merchant A"

It's THIS level of merchant I (we) need to start developing a relationship with (rather then just making links for) to help get us to the next level. Merchants can - and do - make exceptions (custom links, custom banners, incresed commish and cookies) to everything. So these are the ones you need to start developing.

FYI: The usual Billy stuff. Within a half hour of arriving, I won a $50 gift certificate!!

Also,

The forum we visit every day is called

a BEST web

(I always pronounced it A (as in hey!) best web

and the guy whose name is underlined in red is

Hi! (as in hello) -ko

not

Hey! - ko

C'mon, I can't be the only person who's been misprounouncing the name of the board and the name of the owner all this time!!

I always had Haiko right, but wasn't sure about the rest until WMR/AMToday came around.

Wasn't sure if it was pronounced 'pool' or 'pole'. Or po' - 'ell.

People get my last name wrong repeatedly.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Cool
    if the expo could have been run face-to-face it would have had more of us showing up. assuming Security let us through.

There are people at this show that all of us would "like to get alone for 5 minutes in a back alley" (at best)

They're here

If you click the "Initiate Chat" button, they see it. It pops up on their screen wherever they are.

It's not annonomous - like ABW - my real name and company is displayed - so most don't respond when they see it's me.

But I'm having fun forcing the popup every once in a while.

I feel like I'm whaking them on the back of the head (by accident) every time I pass by!!

Sometimes, you take life's "little victories"

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Billy can pass out the Parrot Poop candy coated nuggets I sent him to the showcase "Super Affiliates"....LOL.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I haven't had a chance to attend a lot of presentations. It'd be helpful if everyone would list a couple of their favorite presentations so the rest of us can check them out.

Mike,

I was thinking about you yesterday...

When I went to a booth, besides the chat button, they had a "Voice Chat" button - you end up downloading something called Skype. And you TALK to people live - as many people who are in a group chat, instead of typing, you talk.

Way cool.

I was thinking for the next upgrade to ABW, Haiko can include Skype - and it would bring the board to a whole new level.

First thing I thought of was we'd all be discussing/ranting about something...

see an icon that said "Mike and Charlie has entered the chat"

and then we'd all get to HEAR - live - the phrase

"It's the dma adwhores..."

Most of us work in our own cloistered little cyber world all day, and when we come to ABW we're reminded we're not alone

But with Skype, you TALK to other affiliates, and it's like you're in the same office as other affiliates!

Billy, it looks like you learned alot - just in the one presentation. Thanks for sharing.

And yes, wouldn't it be nifty for someone to prepare a l ist of links to presentations for those that didn't attend. Oh wait, then the show wouldn't get the $ 90. they are charging for that stuff. Oh well, seems fair to me.

Fred

My Dad and I use Skype quite often. It comes in handy when we need to BS about something, since the only phone I have is a cell phone. Motorola is even churning out some Skype enabled phones.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

The default avatar used by merchant reps and networks reps is either a bland guy or bland girl.

Some took the time to change the default - to a bland guy with charts and graphs, a bland guy with a dollar sign, a bland guy sitting on a stack of money.

Gotta' like CJ...

Every woman at the CH booth has the blonde babe winking at you avatar below. makes you WANT to initiate a chat!!

Cool
    dma what?

looks like a nervous tic to me.
    Last edited by Herb ԿԬ; February 18th, 2005 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added style

Haiko wrote:

4 - Only top moxie applications were at the show.

Well, I saw some folks from Shop At Home.

Quote Originally Posted by bedelman
    Well, I saw some folks from Shop At Home.
    With a booth? Doing a presentation?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

No, just attending. I spent a bit of time browsing the attendee list.

Thought so.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

This whole thread is depressing.

15 years and counting
    If you want to have a merchant perpective about what the networks are doing about fraud, I recommend listening to Clint Schmidt. He is the Director of Online Marketing at 1-800 CONTACTS and was working with eBay before.
    The Role of the Network in Affiliate Fraud
    It should be an On-Demand Replay by now, so timing is not a problem.
    In short, networks remain unaccountable. Learn about their Conflict of Interest and "Heads in the Sand" attitude.

I listened to Clint's presentation and thought it was very well done. Lots of points I could have made even more clearly in mine!

Clint's presentation stood in stark contrast to CJ's Terance Kinsky, who this morning told us how it is always merchants' responsibility to decide who to partner with. "[CJ's] Network quality [department] is responsible for ... providing a safe and trusted network ... a fair and level playing field," he says. Terance explains (admits!) exactly why use of adware is bad news for publishers -- forcing cookies, not adding value. But then Terance goes on to tell merchants what merchants have to do, as if this is merchants' job rather than CJ's. (Slide 8) Same for what Terance calls "loyalty programs" (thinking of iGive etc.). He tells merchants to test these programs -- as if it's merchants' job, not CJ's job, to do these tests.

Both Clint and Ben's presentations were very well done and, unlike many of the presentations at the show, posed difficult questions to networks, merchants and affiliates alike.

I agree with you Ben that CJ's presentation is a little sad in that respect. I wish LinkShare would at least publicly discuss some of these issues.

John
    ________
    John Toskey
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Blue Nile

John,

You can see the evidence ... we have years of it ... what's your take?

Why do you need someone [LS] who professes a fiduciary responsibility as a "trusted third party" but yet earns on every sale no matter who gets credit for it smear your brand and your name as an AM?
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Dang, I'm still chuckling at Billy. I can understand Haiko's name and heck there are many who still say it wrong after I tell them the correct way. But ABestWeb? ROFL. I think you might be alone on that one Billy.

As per the ABestWeb .... it is supposed to be "A Best Web" not "aBEST web", thus the capital A B and W ... A Best Web

I have been called "pyscho the pole", but what really pisses me off ... is that they forget the Jr. part.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast