Hello and Stats/Sites Questions
    Mellow Greetings one and all

I have been lurking around for a few days now and have recently joined SAS and thought I would pop in here and say hello and ask a couple of Q's.

Question 1.
    ========
    I have been playing around with affiliate marketing for about 6 months now and made a few dollars and am now ramping things up a bit. I would like to be able to track site stats across multiple domains just the usual such as uniques, exit pages, time on site, time on page, geo etc. What I really want is some service/software/script that will let me view this info on one or 2 pages and drill down deeper if need be. Does any use anything that they would recommend?

Question 2.
    ========
    My background is computer programming (network, systems, application) using various languages such as VB, Pascal, C, Java etc. As such I have got datafeed scripting sites down to a fine art and can pump about 4 new sites out a day if I sit down and work at it (and FTP access gets granted quickly!). I am familiar with SEO and use some basic techniques on my sites.

In your learned opinions is quantity more important than quality? I use basically the same template for each site with different keywords and of course datafeeds. Domain names are so cheap to register these days and reseller hosting packages also quite cheap. As such the possibility to get 100s of sites up over the course of the year is a very real possibility. Thoughts?

I am in Perth, Western Australia any other Aussies on board????

Regards

A

Welcome to ABestWeb.

To track our websites stats here at work, we use FastStats. It provides a quick overview of the statistics, as well as more detailed stats.

As far as the quantity vs. quality question, both of them have advantages. A large number of sites will bring in money, and if one of them falls from the search engines, your total income won't take much of a hit. A quality site on the other hand can bring in a good income on it's own.

Personally, I opt for a balance of both. I have a some quality sites that are constantly updated and improved, and I also have a few sites that I've just thrown onto the web, and only occasionally update.

You need to watch out for duplicate content two of my sites have just disapperaed from Google because of that fact. Mak each site as unique as you can to avoid that penalty.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Mak each site as unique as you can to avoid that penalty.
    Yep...also try to make it look like they're not all *yours* if you do that many

And remember to SAVE UP PLENTY so WHEN the algo changes, you have time to re-crack it and keep a level head, before your money runs out. Don't be one of those poor sods who ends up behind the counter at McDonald's only a month after an algo change!

It's good to have some "quality" in the wings as a fallback, and also to gain links. But personally I still like quantity, for the most part, as long as it's not total junk. In other words, it shouldn't scream SPAM at anyone who looks at it--except your competition. Your competition will cry "spam" as a matter of course, because, well, they're your competition... (The SPAM = Search Positions Above Mine effect) Just make sure the sites are good enough that the engines don't agree with your competition!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thaks for the feed back, everyone.

A

Welcome,
    Just a note. The Yahoo engine seems to like "spammy" sites while Google and most everyone else will give you the cold sholder, or worse yet, the sandbox.
    Terrie

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yep...since Yahoo is run by the Yahoo Adwhores...they do favor SERP spammers and crappy sites.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread