What is the difference?

what are the advantages?

With webmerge you build the pages on your computer at home and then upload perhaps 1000's of pages. It is probably the best way to start working with datafeeds.

With php/mysql each request 'page on the fly' by getting data from a databse. It's all done on the server side.

You can get pretty clever with webmerge to use includes etc.

Personally I have built 1000's of pages on my computer in a method similar to webmerge but have since done almost everything lately with php/mysql.

There are benefits to both methods so it's hard to say if one is better that the other. There is a steeper learning curve with php/mysql. I do think the skills you learn using php/mysql are much more transferable to other tasks you may do on the web.

Also with php/mysql I find it easier to change one template page rather than uploading a whole site again. I have about 5 php pages that are used as the engine for sites and can do 100,000 products with ease.

Getting them all spidered is another story

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpeed:
    With webmerge you build the pages on your computer at home and then upload perhaps 1000's of pages. It is probably the best way to start working with datafeeds.

With php/mysql each request 'page on the fly' by getting data from a databse. It's all done on the server side.

You can get pretty clever with webmerge to use includes etc.

Personally I have built 1000's of pages on my computer in a method similar to webmerge but have since done almost everything lately with php/mysql.

There are benefits to both methods so it's hard to say if one is better that the other. There is a steeper learning curve with php/mysql. I do think the skills you learn using php/mysql are much more transferable to other tasks you may do on the web.

Also with php/mysql I find it easier to change one template page rather than uploading a whole site again. I have about 5 php pages that are used as the engine for sites and can do 100,000 products with ease.

Getting them all spidered is another story <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you think... its best to start with webmerge??? like do you use webmerge anymore?? and how did you learn MYSQL and PHP?

and do you recommend that book thats in this forum at the bottom called " Database Driven Website"?

Lastly... Ok lets say I have a datafeed from a cellphone company it has model, carrier, picture, url, features.. etc..

Like so it doesnt just throw that all into one page as there are mnay products

How does webmerge allow you to build your template that will contact certain parts of that..

Example if i have a site and when you arrive at the homepage it has on the left

Plans
    Phones
    Carrriers
    Accessories
    manufactuers

etc... and each page goes to show that..

like how can you arrange it will webmerge that all the info in the datafeed doesnt end up just on my homepage.. ahh lol

im so confused would love to see a STEP by STEP tutorial online from someone on how to do this with screenshots do you know if one exists?

Hello LastHope,

If you want a step by step on how to built a website using Webmerge go to the following Url:
    http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

It has help me a lot.

Yup, Frank's has better screenshots than mine. I highly recommend it:

http://www.creativenutsandbolts.com/webmerge/

Fred

ABW Ambassador
    The book at the bottom is very good (IMHO) but personally I had better luck wrapping my head around WebMerge than starting from scratch with PHP/mySQL...

I agree with Stanley about the book below - its top notch. They have free online tutorials with sample code on their website. This is where I learned everything I needed to know.

Learning PHP / MySQL will open your eyes to other things you can do with your site. Plus, if you are like me, you will have fun learning it.

Some of the people using PHP/MySQL are using Gossamer Threads Links SQL. You will need a new licence for a new site, but it has many built-in navigation routines that would take some time to figure out and implement with WebMerge.

OTOH, Webmerge is a desktop tool and you can build as many sites with it as you want. It is a good starter package but uploading 30,000 HTML pages can be a drag.
    [URL=http://www.netmagellan.com/]Net Magellan blog[/URL]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread